D&D General Vote Up A 5e-alike, Part 3: Stats and ASIs

Stats and ASIs

• Question 1: Standard 6 - Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Question 1: Fortitude, Reflexes, Willpower--they cover everything, after all

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Question 1: Something else entirely (explain in comments)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Question 2: ASI based entirely on ancestry

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on ancestry, partially floating

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on culture, partially floating

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on background, partially floating

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on class, partially floating

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Question 2: ASI *not* based on ancestry, but different ancestries have different stat ceilings

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Question 2: ASI is entirely floating

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Question 2: Something else entirely (explain in comments)

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Poll closed .

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Q1: standard 6 is fine, but I have a lot to say about them when we get to skills.

Q2: I would be fine with no ASIs at all, but failing that, Level Up's split works for me.

Shiroiken

Legend
Standard Ability scores are obviously the top choice.

ASI should be +1 from race/ancestry/species, +1 from class, and +1 floating. Max +2 to any single ability.

1. standard 6. i'm not sure you can even argue it's dnd without them.
2. ancestry, background, culture, and class. let's get the whole spectrum going. we ball.
Pathfinder 2nd edition has it where all of your ability scores start out at 10, and then you use ASIs from your Ancestry, your Background and your Class to make them better.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
The Standard 6 is fine.

The problem with the Standard 6 wasn't with the Standard 6 itself. It was due to the lack of balance due to the designers' biases and inconsistencies.

The next 3.1 poll should be voting up what each Ability score affects.
Like Should DEX affect AC, Initiative, Reflex saves, Ranged weapons, Finesse Weapons AND 4-6 Skills?
Could STR grant HP or be you Shield bonus to AC?
Could INT affect AC in Light Armor like 4e or bonus skills like 3e?

Dausuul

Legend
Question 1: There are no ability scores. You have a single proficiency bonus, which you either have or don't on any given roll -- no other modifiers. If your proficiency bonus is +6, and you are proficient in Stealth, then your Stealth check is 1d20+6. If you aren't proficient, it's a straight 1d20.

Question 2:
Moot.

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Question 1: Standard 6 is a sacred cow even I wouldn't kill in something that's D&D-like.

Question 2: No ASIs! Just bake the difference into the point buy/array/dice rolling method.

Yeah, that's my vote, too.

(Well, my actual vote is Shadowdark, of course, but that didn't seem in the spirit of the poll.)

Remove ads