D&D General Vote Up A 5e-alike, Part 3: Stats and ASIs

Stats and ASIs

• Question 1: Standard 6 - Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha

Votes: 33 78.6%
  • Question 1: Fortitude, Reflexes, Willpower--they cover everything, after all

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Question 1: Something else entirely (explain in comments)

Votes: 3 7.1%
  • Question 2: ASI based entirely on ancestry

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on ancestry, partially floating

Votes: 9 21.4%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on culture, partially floating

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on background, partially floating

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Question 2: ASI based partially on class, partially floating

Votes: 6 14.3%
  • Question 2: ASI *not* based on ancestry, but different ancestries have different stat ceilings

Votes: 4 9.5%
  • Question 2: ASI is entirely floating

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Question 2: Something else entirely (explain in comments)

Votes: 13 31.0%

• Poll closed .

Faolyn

(she/her)
Yes, it's time for that most contested of rules: where to put the ASIs during chargen.

At the moment, I'm assuming that stat array, point distribution, and rolling dice are all going to be acceptable ways of generating your character's stats.

Question 1: What are those stats?

Question 2: What about the ASIs?

(Also, this will not address stat order. I don't want to hear about Intelligence going before Dexterity right now. :p)

1. The standard 6.

2. Again, Level Up has it where your background determines one of the ASIs while allowing you to choose the other one. The job you had before you became an adventurer ought to determine which ability scores get the ASIs.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
1. Standard 6 (in the proper 1e order! ;) )

2. Stat adjustments at char-gen* entirely dependent on ancestry AND different ancestries have different stat ceilings. (the poll doesn't allow for this combination of answers)

3. (the not-asked question) Char-gen stat adjustments for non-Humans should go both up AND down, depending on which ancestry and which stat. Example: Goliath - Strength +2, Charisma -2.

* - to me, the term "ASI" means the stat increments you get as you level up; which are different from ancestry-forced adjustments during char-gen.

CreamCloud0

One day, I hope to actually play DnD.
Yes, it's time for that most contested of rules: where to put the ASIs during chargen.

At the moment, I'm assuming that stat array, point distribution, and rolling dice are all going to be acceptable ways of generating your character's stats.

Question 1: What are those stats?

Question 2: What about the ASIs?

(Also, this will not address stat order. I don't want to hear about Intelligence going before Dexterity right now. :p)
Q1 Standard 6

Q2 [something unique]: ASI boosts are 2 +2 bonuses, 1 determined by species and 1 by class, but if your score in that stat is too low they instead serve as a minimum bar automatically raising it to 12/+1 rather than giving a bonus, alternately you may surrender the boost/min bar in one of your assigned stats for a floating +1.
your assigned boosts/bar also gain a +2 to the stat cap that they're in, (if you chose the floating ASI that'll affect the new stat.)

Last edited:

Scribe

Legend
1. Standard 6 (in the proper 1e order! ;) )

2. Stat adjustments at char-gen* entirely dependent on ancestry AND different ancestries have different stat ceilings. (the poll doesn't allow for this combination of answers)

3. (the not-asked question) Char-gen stat adjustments for non-Humans should go both up AND down, depending on which ancestry and which stat. Example: Goliath - Strength +2, Charisma -2.

* - to me, the term "ASI" means the stat increments you get as you level up; which are different from ancestry-forced adjustments during char-gen.

This but go one further.

Not only +2/-2, but some will be +4/-4, in various combinations.

1. standard 6. i'm not sure you can even argue it's dnd without them.
2. ancestry, background, culture, and class. let's get the whole spectrum going. we ball.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
As much as Fort/Reflx/Will would be innovative even I'm not going to slay those holy beasts (though I'd rename Strength to Prowess and Wisdom to Perception (with Willpower via a Charisma save))

and I love the idea of Stat ceilings by ancestry alongside floating ASI based on ancestry

Scribe

Legend
I must mention the system @Levistus's_Leviathan discussed years ago.

Species - Grants a single ASI of a variation per species.
Class - Grants a single ASI of a variation per class.
Background - Grants a single ASI of variation per background.

I think its conceptually similar to how PF2 ended up, and its pretty close to floating, but not. In the hypothetical where culture, becomes Culture (a game object) sure, just tack on another ASI for Culture.

Just another option out there.

Remove ads