(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 1

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Valda did the grisly work of stabbing each ogre while Quinn and Eoghan were ready to back her up with flame and mockery, respectively. Only once did an ogre survive long enough to need mocking, and Eoghan confused that ogre enough with his magic-infused words, delivered in his deep voice, that Valda was able to easily block the ogre's club with her shield, before Quinn's flame and her sword finished him off.

By then, Jack had picked the lock on the big chest and he and Bible quickly gathered anything of value inside and ran back to join the others. They had looted three small sacks of coins, gems, and other valuables of various types and sizes, and two stoppered gourds containing a gallon each of strange liquids.

OOC: Okay, let's skip forward a bit. I rolled some attacks for Valda and it looks like dispatching the ogres will just work out without any trouble. I really wasn't sure. Treasure can be counted and identified later. One last question: Are we retreating?

 

log in or register to remove this ad

Lidgar

Legend
Jack sees the handiwork of his companions and smiled while hefting one of the bags from the chest. "Not bad wages for a half day's work. S'pose we should head back to the cairn before those brutes on the roof figure out how to alert the others." He then heads towards the gates to the north.

OOC: Yes, I think retreat is in order. I believe Quinn already cast Pass without Trace to cover our tracks.
 

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Valda supports the idea of retreating before the bulk of the steading can fall upon them, and will assist in getting the group over the wall with the help of her Boots of Spider Climbing.
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
(He must remember how far away those dwarven tombs were?)

The gate was a bit heavy for his mage hand, but Tenibor was able to get the gate open. The guards in the Watchtower had finally found a large enough metal object to give the gong a good strong blow. It would take minutes for the giants to marshal, and at least as long for the "smalls" to flee into the hills. It was extremely important that they get gone without giving away which way they would travel.

Which was, as Tenibor thought about it, an hour's travel north-east. Though now that it was dark, it might take longer - it was not exactly the safest trail. Then again, if they were pursued, they would need to keep up the pace.
 



FitzTheRuke

Legend
The group left the steading by the north gate. Using the outbuilding (and the growing darkness) as cover from the watchtower, they moved quickly and quietly back into the hills, where they met up again with Lord Falldur's scouts, Cromby and Siersha.

"Heh heh. Looked like ye gave'em what-for." said the old sailor turned-scout, "I saw flames in the courtyard from up 'ere."

"What's the plan?" asked Shiersha, who had readied her horse, Eon. "I could ride westward, see if I can lead them away. We must not lead them back to the Cairn."

The alarm gong, now that it was going, echoed through the hills. An armed group of giants and ogres had come out the front (south-eastern) gates and were circling the steading counter-clockwise, now moving along the eastern wall. They carried torches, which made them visible from afar but reduced their own vision to their immediate area.
 

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
"Information for Lord Falldur: this is a wide alliance. The Stone Giant Thane Arnak of the Howling Craig has two ambassadors there though only one survives. The Skyejotun have one, Thyffon, though that may be not stable. And King Snurre of the Fire Giants is also involved.", the firbolg spits out the words at the sight of the scouts, as if he had been rehearsing it on the way back.

Then his speech returned to the half-apologetic tones he used while navigating the Common tongue.

"Erm, while I could do with a rest, or at least a quick meal, there is something to be said for leading them away and going right back in. They wouldn't be expecting it."

OOC: Spell-wise I have two fourth and one fifth slots left. At the least a short rest is needed to spend HD and to regain my bardic inspiration. But moving soon might be a good chance to get in while they have separated.
 
Last edited:

Lidgar

Legend
Jack's heavily-lidded eyes pop open at the mention of heading back. "The big guy again talks sense. I'm fresh as a daisy. If this lass is willing to lead them on a wild goose chase, that gives us some time to sneak in and get more information on who - or what - is behind them." The rogue's ragged appearance seemed to belie his enthusiasm as he swayed a bit in the moonlight.
 

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Tenibor is intrigued by the gambit. He has some powerful magic left. But the others--including the warriors--must be willing and able.
 

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Bible retrieves her two hand-axes from where they lay in the kitchen and courtyard and stuffs them into her belt before running out through the north gate.

Catching up with the others, she agrees with the firbolg's plan. "Plenty more where this came from," she says as she knocks back another shimmering dark green potion.

OOC: Potion of Greater Healing: 4D4+4 = [1, 1, 2, 1]+4 = 9
AC19* HP 36/85 THP 8/8 HD 9/9 PP16 AS 1/1 2W 0/1 Ind 1/1


"Ugh, it's disgustipatin'" she says through clenched teeth.
 

"I am barely injured but used much of my magic. I have some strength left if everyone decides to return immediately. But if we get drawn into another extended conflict I will quickly be limited to my most basic of spells."

Quinn crouches down to rest while he waits for the others to decide if they are going back. He takes a swig from his water skin.

OOC: Quinn: AC17* HP 60/62 HD 9/9 PP19 SSdc18 3/4 1/3 1/3 2/3 0/1 WS 1/2 GB 0/4 CO 2/4 ET 1/1 DS 1/1 H 1/1 MS 0/1 Ba 1/1

I have most of my 1st and 4th level spells left but only 1 each of 2nd and 3rd and no 5th level spells.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Wait here awhile and rest." suggested Siersha. "I will try to lead them south-west. Cromby can watch out for any that come this way if I fail."

She hopped up on the Eon with the grace of a skilled rider and bent low, riding off into the hills travelling southward. Ten minutes passed and the light of a lantern appeared in the hills to the south, moving slowly westward. Occasionally it flashed toward the steading as if someone were being careless while negotiating rocks.

It wasn't long before the giant's search party spotted it, and they moved southward as a group, shouting in anger.

"An' off they go!" whispered Cromby, happily. "We should watch for a spell; make sure they've fully taken the bait. Then off ya go again!"

OOC: We'll call that enough for a short rest. Feel free to spend & roll some hit dice as needed.
 

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
OOC: Short rest:
Uses Song of Rest - everyone spending HD will get back an extra d8.
Regain all 5 uses of Bardic Inspiration.
Spend 6 HD (starting from 37/75 HP, ending 74/75)
1st HD + Song of Rest: 2D8+3 = [2, 4]+3 = 9 (46 HP)
2nd HD: 1D8+3 = [3]+3 = 6 (52 HP)
3rd HD: 1D8+3 = [3]+3 = 6 (58 HP)
4th HD: 1D8+3 = [4]+3 = 7 (65 HP)
5th HD: 1D8+3 = [2]+3 = 5 (70 HP)
6th HD: 1D8+3 = [1]+3 = 4 (74 HP)
(Dang, didn't roll anything in the top half with seven rolls when you include the song of rest. My dice luck is holding firm. :p )

Eoghan AC15 HP 74/75 THP 0/8 HD 9/9 PP19 SSdc17 0/4 0/3 1/3 2/3 1/1 BI 5/5
 

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
The Reeve drops her pack, takes a seat, and reaches a hand behind her breastplate, retrieving a small pipe made from a sea stone with a hole bored in it. She cradles the pipe in her hand and murmurs seemingly to herself, "Me lucky charm. 'Twas a gift from me Cap'n."

She doesn't light the pipe, but focuses her attention on it for the hour, holding it in her hand and sometimes putting it in her mouth and holding it between her teeth as she sits contentedly and dwells on thoughts of the past.

 
Last edited:

Lidgar

Legend
Jack sits a little apart from the group and fixes his bleary eyes on the steading while slowly honing his dagger.

Shisk, shisk, shisk…the whetstone on steel makes an oddly soothing sound coupled with the bard’s quiet singing.

OOC: Jack’s good, no healing necessary.
 

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Tenibor meditates for a bit before resuming his watch for the giants.

When he has the chance, he will restore the telepathic bond.

(Heal to full. Recover 1 1st and 1 3rd level spell.
Tenibor AC16(13) HP 56/56 THP 0/8 HD 7/9 PP16* SSdc16 2/4 0/3 1/3 2/3 1/1 WoMM 4/7 LK 2/3)
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
"Way I see it," offered Cromby, now that it seemed that Siersha's plan had worked, "Ya've got two choices: Y'can go right back inna steading, an' see what way the wind is blowin' there now, or ya can head south and see if y'can ambush the huntin' party from behind. Either they got Siersha, or they don't. Either way, they won't stay out inna hills all night."

OOC: And if you choose to go back to the steading, I need to know your approach. You've got a decent idea of the layout now. How do you want to get back in?
 

Dungeon Delver's Guide

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top