(IC) Against the Giants PBP Group 1

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Quinn did a flyover that encircled the entire steading. He took note of the largest "chimney" (not a chimney in fact, but a mud-and-wooden hole above a large open room with a grand bonfire below. The room was occupied, based on the nose, but Quinn couldn't see in with all the smoke from the bonfire). He noted the kitchen fires based on the smell coming from two smoking chimneys. He stayed high overhead when passing by the dire wolves, and he noted the only other chimney that did not show signs of a fire - the outbuilding's north-east corner. Flying over the spot that they had begun, the gatehouse, and the watchtower, he returned to the company.

OOC: This flyover will take awhile, so we'll have to see where things are at by the time Quinn returns. Eoghan will need to roll (detailed above) to get down without alerting the Stone Giant, (and making a mess). Then Tenibor can safely TP down. Valda and Bible will have to climb, but they'll have advantage, unlike Eoghan, so hopefully they won't cause a ruckus. Oh! Here's a flyover map!


SteadingG1Bird.jpg
OOC: Map Key: 1) Where the party first arrived; 2) The gatehouse (4 ogres); 3) Watchtower (3 sleeping hill giants); 4) The guestroom chimney (1 writing stone giant) PCs are HERE!; 5) Great Hall bonfire chimney; 6) Kitchen chimneys; 7) Courtyard (4 dire wolves); 8) Outbuilding (smokeless chimney)
 

log in or register to remove this ad

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Eoghan intoned a syllable of a True Word to fortify himself, then climbed down the chimney. Misguided by the narrowness he attempted to brace himself against both walls but could not get a proper grip and began to slip. He felt the syllable reverberate in his bones, more solid then this tumbling form, and without concious consideration waited one beat, two beats then reached out to stop his descent...

OOC: First he gave himself bardic inspiration in ase he needs it at some point. Then attempted to climb down.
STR (Athletics) to climb down the chimney: 1D20+1 = [5]+1 = 6
Missed there was a rope for advantage in the chimney. Other half of advantage.: 1D20+1 = [3]+1 = 4
When that went poorly, he called upon the inspiration to add to his climb check. Was hoping to keep it for a persuasion.
Bardic Inspiration: 1D8 = [7] = 7

Total Athletic check = 6 + 7 = 13. Not sure if that succeeds or fails.

Eoghen AC 15 HP 75/75 PP 19 HD 9/9 BI 4/5 SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 3/3 1/1 dm1/1 ds1/1 HS4/4
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The deep rumbling of the True Word helped Eoghan to save face. In the event, he did not dislodge the large build-up of soot around the old bird's nest, and instead passed safely by. He was a bit sooty, sure, but he ducked under the mantle (in spite of it being a very very large fireplace, he was still tall for it) and stepped out into the room. Tenibor stepped sideways into a fold where the feywild rubbed on the mortal realm, and stepped back out, arriving just behind Eoghan at the hearth.

Bible and Valda would have to climb down, and Quinn was still out circling the steading.

The giant looked up from his slate, and paused as if he wasn't sure if he should speak or reach for a weapon.

OOC: In that beat, it's up to Eoghan. @Blue ?
 

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
::Wait a moment, Friend, and listen,:: Eoghan stated in the giantish tongue, ::You may enjoy this.::

He echoed what he says over the mental link as he pulled out his bandore, obviously an instrument and not a weapon, and began to play and sing.

::A bit unorthodox, but we both know things are messy sometimes. What is your name? What brings you to visit?::

Eoghan walked closer with a relaxed stride, idly strumming.

OOC: I used :: for " around speech in Giant, let me know if you had a different preference and I will change it.
The Fochlucan Bandore grants disadvantage on spells that charm, which this is. I'm not 100% sure how you want me to reverse this so I'll just give you all of the relevant numbers.
My save DC is normally 17 (+4 Proficiency, +5 Charisma). Here's a roll with advantage with the +9.
Charm Monster with disadvantage on saves, reversed: 2D20.HIGH(1)+9 = [20, 14]+9 = 29
The first was a nat 20, the best I can roll, so my guess is he's charmed and I continued with that just to keep things moving.

Eoghen AC 15 HP 75/75 PP 19 HD 9/9 BI 4/5 SSdc17 4/4 3/3 3/3 2/3 1/1 dm1/1 ds1/1 HS4/4
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The giant sat back on the beds big furs and enjoyed the entertainment that had suddenly appeared in his room. He answered, ::I am Utharn, assistant to Laerthar, emissary to Thane Arnak. We are here to oversee our part of the alliance.::


OOC: Man, the roller is being generous, for the most part. (Of course, there is a lot of 'advantage' around). Sure, that crit would be the same as if I rolled a 1 on the save. Charmed he is.
 

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Tenibor tries to avoid drawing attention to himself.

To the shorter giant ~I may be your servile advisor. ~

He understands Giantish and tries to makes sense of what is being said (check below). Also, confirming that it is a "stone" giant. Also, also ~Firbolg emissary?~

roll 10 on history for an 18.
 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Tenibor watched and listened as Eoghan first played for, and then spoke to the Stone Giant. Thane Arnak was a name that Tenibor had heard, the king of a band of stone giants from a crag-warren somewhere in the Lofty Mountains. Arnak was not known to cause trouble for the smaller folk - a fair and just thane by all reports.
 

Lidgar

Legend
Jack stays hidden behind the chest, keeping an eye on the doors while soaking in his surroundings. ~Best to let these folk with wiser tongues do the talking,~ he thinks not quite to himself.
 

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
But alliance has to mean alliance with these horrible, marauding giants. There is a mystery here.

This the sort of thing that excites him, though he tries to contain himself. He knows that the firbolg is in a better position to speak, for several reasons.

~His kind seeking an alliance with the murderous hill giants is strange indeed.~
 

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
::Indeed, mighty Utharn, the alliance. Where has Nostra upheld the expectations, and where has he fallen short?::

In his head, after Eoghan translated everything the giant was saying he added, ~<We were told that mixed bands of giants were marauding, but an alliance with observers feels more formal.>~
 

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Not wanting to startle Utharn with too much unexpected company, Bible waits by the chimney, careful to stay out of sight of the watchtower and ready to leap down the rope as soon as she is needed in the room below.

Hearing Quinn's description of his flyover in her mind, Bible grows hopeful that the kitchen fires will lead them to her halfling friend before she becomes a meal.

"Well, blow me down!" she thinks mostly to herself, but everyone can hear her, "them doors in the stoney giant's cabin might jusk lead us in the right direction. An' if we can't get through that-a-way, then perhaps we can go up an' over this here roof and get in through that door in the wolf yard."

"Gettin' past them wolves without them makin' a !$ !$% ruckus though. Hmmm," she thinks and scratches the back of her neck as her mood turns grim.
 


FitzTheRuke

Legend
"It is not my place to say." answered the stone giant, "You will have to speak to Laerthar, who is at the feast."

OOC: I know it probably sounds like a cop-out on my part, but he has reason to keep his opinions to himself.
 

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
~Laerthar is at the feast.~

~There is a feast happening in the steading right now. An ambassador of the stone giants is at the feast. Who else is at the feast?~


He will let the implications of all this digest.
 

Shadowedeyes

Adventurer
Valda paces on the roof while hearing the descriptions of the negotiations in her head. Although she's managed to get a handle on not projecting every thought at this point through the bond, it's fairly obvious that she almost wants a fight. However, while not exceptionally clever, she has survived this long by not charging blindly. Take every advantage and never fight fair. So she waits, ready to go down the chimney when the coast is clear, or if hostilities break out.

"Maybe we could feed something to the wolves to get past them. If this way doesn't seem like it will work out."
 

Lidgar

Legend
~Mayhaps we serve these lads a little dessert. Wonder how many there are?~ mutters Jack mentally to the rest after hearing the translation from the wizard.
 
Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
::Good idea Utharn, I will speak to Laerthar.::, then offhandly adds, ::Is he expected back soon?::

The firbolg walked closer, the resting his back against the corner as he keeps strumming. He took the opportunity not just for Utharn to answer, but to send a thought to his allies.

~<While this chant will keep him friendly, it does not make him any of your friend, or make him less friends with others. But after the hour chimes, he will know what I have done. Once we have what we want from him we may want to put him down. I'm attempting to draw his attention from the chimney.>~

Once he settled himself comfortably, he nods at Utharn and continued.

::Are there other emissaries here or is Thane Arnak the only one with such foresight?::

OOC: Moving to the top left corner, J68, to get Utharn to look at him instead of the chimney, plus hopefully his playing will cover any incidental sounds. When walking past the doors, did they open inward or outward?
 

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
When the stone giant assistant looks away, Tenibor will create an illusion of the wood pile in front of the wood pile.

~We will have no better chance to enter the steading then now. This is the moment to come down. Our magic will make this easier.~

~Come down the chimney.~


When the giant looks back AND realizes something is off, Tenibor will say in Giantish: "My fellow retainers are emerging from the fey realm."

(OoC: Minor Illusion cantrip)
 
Last edited:

Hriston

Dungeon Master of Middle-earth
Hearing the talk of feasting, Bible's concern for her small friend's welfare grows suddenly urgent.

"Wait up!" she interjects telepathically. "Ask him if he's seen any prisikners and if so, where they're bein' kept an' if they're on the menu."

She eyes the large column of smoke rising from the smoke-hole in the roof looming over them.

"I'll betcha tha's where it's happening," her thoughts echo as she estimates the distance from where she stands to the room she imagines is beneath the smoke-hole. "We may not have enough time if they're feastin' there already."

She regards the rope dangling down into the chimney before her, feeling a twitch as she suppresses an urge to run to the smoke-hole and leap down to her friend's rescue.

"She's countin' on me," she mutters to herself under her breath as she grips the rope and descends carefully and quietly into the stone giant's chamber, "an' I ain't gonna let her down."

 

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Utharn had seen Tenibor, but had overlooked him as a servant, quite literally beneath his notice. It was only the power of Eoghan's magic that had him treating the Firbolg as an equal. Hearing now that the elf was bringing more 'retainers from the feywild' he began to ask questions, "I am surprised that one so low on the Ordning as yourself has been summoned to join the alliance. I assume that your retainers missed their mark when transporting you, or you would not have arrived in this room, but the great hall itself?"

He stood, towering over them, even Eoghan. In spite of being much more slender, he made the hill giant they had seen at the watchtower seem positively short. He answered Eoghan's question boldly, "Thyffon is here to speak for the Skyejotun, but I do not think that Nosnra has the diplomatic skills to keep him."

OOC: That would be a cloud giant.
 

Level Up!

An Advertisement

Advertisement4

Top