(IC - D&D 3.5) Rathan's Problem Down Under

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Collecting enough firewood would take long time and somebody would have to be close so that it doesn't spread. We can do that tomorrow. If you think we should get back to the camp together, I'll go too. I'd rather not, but I'll follow group decision."

OOC: did Berrek find anything of value on any of the (un)dead

Rathan

First Post
OOC: There is nothing on any of the bodies worth salvaging.... everything is either burnt... charred.. or part of their anatomy... and some are both heh....

unleashed

First Post
Noticing he’s alone in his wish to return to their original campsite, after taking a few steps and hearing the rest speak, Eltyr returns to the group with a perturbed expression on his face.

“All of you really want to camp this close to the door, even after we’ve found there are people interested in entering the tomb, and our spellcasters have nearly, if not completely, exhausted their supply of offensive magic? Considering we’ve found a perfectly good secluded camp site, which we can reach, and we’re not at full strength, I find setting up camp on a bare hillside to be a very poor tactical decision indeed. In fact the only sense that people are showing here, is that we’ll likely be safer if we all stay together ... so on that basis alone, I’ll camp here with everyone else, even if I don’t agree with the logic of such a choice.”

Neurotic

OOC: unleashed, I don't think we're thinking on camping on the mound. The idea is to camp in sheltered spot, simply somewhat closer to the mound then original camp is.

EDIT:
as it is this happens to be the only good spot to take cover and rest for good long ways it seems
I found this, sorry everyone. It seems you/we go back to original camp.

Last edited:

ghostcat

First Post
Seeing that this discussion could go on half the night. Lidia seeks to cut it short by summarising the situation. "Well I think we can agreed that we should not split up. This means that we need to camp within seeing distance of where the tracks disappeared. Even though the artifacts let us see in the dark, we still will need to be with in about 100'. However, the only decent camping spot in the area is our current camp, which is over 10 times that distance away. That means that we will have to camp in the open. I don't think the bodies are relevant, as Menhir has indicated that he can bury them. So Barrak the decision is yours. Do we camp in the open and keep an eye on the possible rope trick or go back to our camp."

Lidia looks around to see if there is any possible camping spot, while waiting for Barrak to answer.

Rathan

First Post
As the wind starts to kick up the air chills a bit.... nothing out of the ordinary mind you but on a vast nearly completely open plain the wind tends to kick up a bit more than it does in the city..... you see only the two options you've already laid out before you...... camp in the open... or go back to safe shelter at the original camp.... then again you could always camp inside the tomb to stay nice as warm.........

Neurotic

"I'm curious and I'm not afraid to be alone here. I agree that you need to recover spells and that you need Menhir to watch over you, but you also need me for early warning. Burial and everything else can wait until the morning.

Please, don't stay out here because I'm staying. Go back and get your rest. I don't realy think there is rope trick here, but I couldn't rest not checking the possibility.

Menhir, could you please make human sized ditch in which I could lay hidden with top layer of grass as undisturbed as you can make it?"

Berrek indicates a spot with small bump on the plain, out of burnt out area, place that still retains hardy weeds and grasses however weak.

[sblock=OOC:] by taking 20 on hide and with menhirs help Berrek should be quiete safe. I'd say +X for circumstance and +2 aid another (if possible) should be quite good. Concealing entire party under this conditions is almost impossible and I you said we're in no shape to fight. Berrek specializes in reconnoiter missions and spell stealing ensures that lone caster has little chance especialy if Berrek gets surprise round too.
[/sblock]

Ambrus

Explorer
Failing to fully understand the intricate plans being discussed, the earth elemental listens impassively to the ongoing debate. When Berrek makes his request, Menhir turns to examine the indicated spot for a few moments before nodding silently and sinking down beneath the ground underfoot. Moving effortlessly through its home medium, the elemental glides over to the chosen spot and, after determining the composition and depth of the topsoil, sets to work. Menhir goes about the task of creating a small sinkhole beneath the indicated spot by alternatively absorbing the earth in one spot and evenly expelling it into the surrounding subterranean area.

From the surface, it appears as if the grass covered turf slowly rises gently in a ring while at its center the turf sinks more sharply down into an oval depression just over two yards in length and one yard in depth. In all the process takes a few minutes and leaves the surface vegetation largely undisturbed once Menhir rises up out of the ground to survey the results of its handiwork.

[sblock=OOC]With its high strength I figure it'd only take a few minutes of labor for Menhir to move a few hundred pounds of topsoil. I took some liberties in describing the unique way in which it'd go about the task however. Digging must be a whole lot easier when you don't have to push down into the ground before picking up and moving the dirt. Being able to do it all without having to first tear and remove the surface turf is just fancy. ;)[/sblock]

ghostcat

First Post
"Barrak. I am deeply troubled about you staying here on your own. However, I can see that you are determined, so I will say no more. We will meet you at the camp in the morning at the latest."

Lidia turns and starts to walk back to camp. "Menhir. Can you come and keep guard on the camp, while we all get some sleep?"

Ambrus

Explorer
The earth elemental doesn't bother to answer the druidess' request; it merely sinks into the earth to its waist and slides along the ground behind her as she heads back to camp.

Remove ads