• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[IC] Industrygothica's "The Hive"

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
"It might be a means to keep a threat in. It also might be a means to protect prisoners. There is no question."

Courage removes the bar, and, axe in hand, opens the door.

industrygothica

Adventurer
A stream of water pours from a hole in the northern wall of this cavern into a large pool. The water empties in an eddying swirl near the southern wall. The cave is slick with moisture and quite humid, and steam rises from the pool's surface.

No less than ten dwarven men and women dressed in little more than rags hover against a wall near the pool.

jkason

First Post
Shaimon Hu'u, barbaric human druid

industrygothica said:
A stream of water pours from a hole in the northern wall of this cavern into a large pool. The water empties in an eddying swirl near the southern wall. The cave is slick with moisture and quite humid, and steam rises from the pool's surface.

No less than ten dwarven men and women dressed in little more than rags hover against a wall near the pool.

"Looks like you were right, Courage: prisoners." Shai frowns as he glances about the room, fingers twitching on his warhammer. "We don't need the trick I know to see there's magic involved, too. Nobody touch anything wet for a moment..."

Shai mumbles something unintelligible, rubbing his thumb over each of his eyes as he does so. As his voice falls away, his gaze seems oddly distant as he scans the room.

[sblock=OOC]Casting Detect Magic, looking specifically to the water to see if it's enchanted.[/sblock]

Mista Collins

First Post
Tanith didn't understand. That dwarf back at the inn the day they left had said they brought everyone home from their battle in the hill with the formians. Then who are these dwarves?

Walking into the cave, Tanith greets them. "Hello good sirs, and madams. How many days have past since you've been down here?"

industrygothica

Adventurer
Shai detects no magic.

The dwarves do not answer, but Tanith can see a look of hope in their emaciated eyes, though none hold her gaze for more than flickering of an instant.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Courage speaks aloud, to the dwarves.

"We want to get you all out of here, and we will do so soon. But we cannot leave just yet. You will in all likelihood be fine, but it is not safe just yet... We need you to wait here for fifteen minutes or so. If we are not back in that time, then it is not safe for you to leave; it's as simple as that. In fifteen minutes, we will take you out of here."

Then she turns to the party.

"If anyone thinks they should stay here to protect these prisoners, that is probably a good idea. This is an unexpected development, and one we should be happy about. But I think there are answers up that flight of stairs. I suggest we check that out, and once things are clear come back and lead these people to safety."

Courage looks around at what is in the room, and then to her companions.

industrygothica

Adventurer
The dwarves look dejected at Courage's words.

Shai notices one of them glance upward for a split second and then bring his eyes back down again quickly, as if he'd not meant to do it. He winces and tucks his face into his hands, almost defeated.

jkason

First Post
Shaimon Hu'u, barbaric human druid

industrygothica said:
The dwarves look dejected at Courage's words.

Shai notices one of them glance upward for a split second and then bring his eyes back down again quickly, as if he'd not meant to do it. He winces and tucks his face into his hands, almost defeated.

"Water's not magical," Shai mutters, though he maintains concentration on his new vision as he turns to the dwarves. His hands clench as he sees one dwarf look up, and Shai turns his own eyes up, whispering "'ware the ceiling," to his companions even as he does so.

[sblock=OOC]industrygothica: I may have misunderstood something: did you mean that the dwarves are hovering in the magical/literal sense (i.e., their feet aren't touching the ground), or in the more mundane, "milling about" sense? Others' responses seem to indicate the latter, but I was assuming the former.[/sblock]

industrygothica

Adventurer
jkason said:
[sblock=OOC]industrygothica: I may have misunderstood something: did you mean that the dwarves are hovering in the magical/literal sense (i.e., their feet aren't touching the ground), or in the more mundane, "milling about" sense? Others' responses seem to indicate the latter, but I was assuming the former.[/sblock]

[sblock=jkason]The latter would be correct. All of their feet are firmly planted on the floor. And by planted I do not mean that they have taken root. ;) If this was the case for you to use detect magic on the water, I am perfectly comfortable assuming that that never happened and giving you your spell slot back. Sorry for the confusion.[/sblock]

As Shaimon Hu'u looks up to the ceiling he barely has time to notice a creature not unlike the formians they fought earlier. While this one is a bit larger, its most noticeable difference is the 10-wing span. With a snap of its tail, Shai notices one more difference as well...

Flying Formian: attacks Shai (spikes 1=miss; 26=hit, 4 damage, fort 12+7=pass)

"'Ware the ceiling," Shai says. The words barely escape his lips as the winged thing flings something like a spike from its tail and impales Shia in the shoulder.

ooc: I'll get the initiative order up in a bit.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads