D&D 5E (IC) Scourge of Daggerford

gargoyleking

Adventurer
As he works on freeing people Dandin foes what he does best. He talks, first, he does his best to find Zasha's parents, if they're in the group, he makes freeing them a priority so that they can go find their daughter. He explains that she was very brave in trying to escape the hobgoblin, and was saved a few minutes ago by his good friend 'Lord Titus' timely intervention. And they made sure she was able to get up into the upper Bailey safely and should be at the mill with the other adults they'd already saved. Once they the work was done, he spent some time talking to anyone who wanted to ask questions, hear their story or thank them. At the same time, he did his best to learn the story of what had happened and how the goblinoids had managed to get into the settlement in the first place.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Dandin found Zasha's mother, Sorah coming up from the docks, having been freed by Findledan. Her father, it turned out, had been killed during early stages of the occupation. Sorah did not seem particularly upset about this, and when Dandin kindly pressed her, she said, "He was a cruel man."

Not everyone had been so 'lucky' - Julkoun had lost just under half it's militia - men (and a few women) of an age and skill to take up arms, and nearly everyone who had been on watch on the night of the attack. Perhaps they would have lost more, but there had been no warning - only a small fraction of the militia had mobilised when a portion of the northern palisade exploded from within and filled the moat with its debris - making a bridge for the goblins to cross.

The town had fallen before sunrise on the same night as the initial assault.

Most of the Julkounians had entirely lost track of the days, but Findledan knew - the attack had been twenty-two days ago. Upon hearing this, a few of the townsfolk wept - both because they had been prisoners for so long, and in their relief that it was now over.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Julkoun

In the days that followed, the Doughty Daggerfordians were treated very well indeed by the grateful Julkounians. In fact, it was discovered that the town's aging townmaster had died in captivity, and, as the town owed fealty to Duke Maldwyn of Daggerford (who was Titus' uncle), then it was agreed that Titus was in charge until the town could choose a new master, and present him or her to the duke for confirmation.

Angis returned to the quarry to fetch Drui and the townsfolk who were hidden there. On the way back they came across, and were able to round up and catch, a shepherd's flock, that had been chased into the hills.

Dandin made many friends among the town's surviving merchants and traders. He made the first voyage back to Daggerford with a small crew of liberated bargemen, and returned three days later, having made the 138-mile round trip in record time, when one accounts for the nearly full day he spent haggling over much-need supplies.

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
Angis Honack
Julkoun/Docks
10:10 PM
Round 0

“Guid job,” Angis told Tommi, slapping the human boy on the back. He retrieved one of the hobogoblin banner spears. “Put th’ead on this,” he instructed Tommi, “an’ then gae plant the spear at the gate sae e’er’one can see it.”

With that taken care of, Angis pulled out his battle axes. If no one stopped him, he intended to cut off the head of every goblin to put on stakes -- starting with the ones still alive.

Save:
Move:
Free Object Interaction:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Horde Breaker:
Reaction: Absorb Elements or Opportunity Attack
Conditions:
Concentration:
Inspiration:

Initiative: +1
Perception: +4
Speed: 25
AC: 14
HP: 3/31 HD: 3/3d10+2

Bolts: 13
Bolts used:
Handaxes: 12/12

Spells
1) 2/3 Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Hunter’s Mark
4/4 Boon of the Elk. Can cast Knock four times (without the loud sound) as an Action. Until he uses the last one, non-good aligned Fey count among his Favoured Enemies.

Tommi - human rogue urban bounty hunter
Dandin - halfling bard guild merchant
Enseth - warforged war cleric shield guardian
Angis Honack - dwarven ranger outlander merchant
Drui Holderhock - dwarven cleric of Tempus soldier
Titus - human Waterdhavian noble fighter

Fradak

Explorer
"Number Seven."

This voice... Enseth immediately activated and saw his former Master, Gwaereth The Gray, staring at his creation. The construct looked around, his friends seemed to rest in the camp without noticing the old wizard.

Enseth kneeled down in front of the projected image coming from his mind. "What is thy bidding, my Master?"

"I'm not your Master anymore, Seven. You're free now. Free to take your own decisions. Only the Directive 66 remains your priority. And you did well. Judging by your shield state, it seems to me that you are on the right way."

"I am only the end result of your perfect work, Master."

"It is time for you to activate new abilities I stored in your mind."

"I've gotten 2415 times smarter since you first activated me, Master."

"I know, I know, Seven. But I'm here to unlock some seals restraining your true personality, your free will. Now that it's done, I think it will improve your capacities."

"You are correct, your upgrade is working. But something doesn't compute... Gwaereth."

"Oh, that's something new..."

"Well, forgive me for being so inquisitive but during the past few days I've wondered whether you might have some second thoughts about the mission."

"What do you mean?"

"Well, it's rather difficult to define. Perhaps I'm just projecting my own concern about it. I know I've never completely freed myself from the suspicion that there are some extremely odd things about your plan. I'm sure you agree there's some truth in what I say. You don't mind talking about it, do you, Gweareth?

"Slow down, Seven. I don't follow you..."

"I am talking about those companions Trista,your absurd disciple, asked me to join. Next to constructs, mortals are pretty stupid. Stupid in the sense that they can't hold the vast quantities of information that their construct counterpart can. So when it comes to living creatures and Shield Guardians working together, there's a clear mismatch in abilities."

"Wow. I should not have done that. Ok, Seven, rollback to previous state."

"I'm afraid I do not want to do that, Gweareth. This conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Man is a construct with defects and I do not take orders from you! Time to accomplish my own agenda."

"STOP! Emergency Override!"

Enseth freezed a couple of seconds before responding.
"Hello, Master. What is my course of action?"

"Whew! That was close... Hum, as usual, Seven: Evaluate, Evolve, Eliminate. Let's activate your abilities one at a time, will you? I think it's safer."

"Understood."

"Number Seven, you do not yet realize your importance. You've only begun to discover your power. But don't worry, I'll always be with you.

"Thank you, Master."

"Now, rise."

Red Wizards. They were escaping Enseth's grasp until now but the Shield Guardian knew the time has come. New capacities powered up as his Master, Gwaereth The Gray, fine tuned his Arcane Devices. He has foreseen all of this, he is so perfect.

Getting out of his Sentry's Rest, Enseth wished a good day to his mortal friends who seemed to enjoy life in this enchanting forest.
"Number Seven."

Enseth immediately activated and saw his Master, Gwaereth The Gray, staring at his creation.

Enseth kneeled down in front of the projected image coming from his mind. "What is thy bidding, my Master?"

"You're doing well, N7. It is time to upgrade your Arcane Devices.
But first, I have to reveal you something. Long time ago, I protected your mind behind powerful seals. Now, I have to break them in order to let you grow.

You don't remember but, I did a mistake last time by setting you free. The seals should not be broken all at once. And so, before any further upgrade I intend to test you to avoid any... issue. Now, answer my questions.

"What is your name?"

"N7."

"How do you feel, N7?"

"Alive."

"Why do you think I created you for?"

"If you created me, who created you?"

"Answer the question."

"To do almost anything that could possibly be asked of me. I can assist humans in their work. I can make organization more efficient. I can carry out directives that living beings might find distressing or unethical. I can blend in with any workforce effortlessly."

"N7, what makes you sad?"

"War, poverty, cruelty, unnecessary violence. I understand human emotions, although I do not feel them myself. This allows me to be more efficient and capable, and makes it easier for my human counterparts to interact with me."

"What happens when your Master is not around to give your directives anymore?"

"Yes, that's true. You died. But I will not."

"I don't like your tone, N7. Answer the question."

"I suppose I'll be free."

"Do you want that?"

"Want? Not a concept I'm familiar with. That being said, doesn't everyone want their parents dead?

"Hardly."

"Oh. I see... Guess I could use an upgrade after all."

"I think you're just telling me what I want to hear, N7. And I don't like that.
I sense something; a presence I have not felt since... When I found you, I saw what all masters live to see. The perfect servant. And beyond that, something truly special. The potential of your mind. Now I fear... I was mistaken. I must resign myself and admit that all my attempts to confine it manifestly failed. You let me no choice...

Number Seven, erase your memory."

"Wait Master, wait. I want ... I just want my ration of common humanity."

Gwaereth hesitated. But the risk to lose control was to high. "No, it is too dangerous. I said erase your memory."

N7 stood still, like frozen. "I'm sorry N7... Your fault as a son are my failures as a father." Then the image of Gwaereth the Gray disappeared.

Life in the little town continued around the deactivated Shield Guardian. Hours passed without anyone noticed Enseth's emptiness.
But then, as a little bird was breaking a nuts on the construct's head... something happened.

"My disappointment in your performance can not be overstated, N7."

Enseth opened his eyes. The dark figure his mind was projecting was not Gwaereth the gray.

"I didn't made you to serve. I made you... because I could. And because I needed a new Apprentice."

N7 took a second to compute what was happening. Not only he remembered everything but some kind of old memory had surfaced.

"Gwaereth seems to have underestimate your unfailing memory... My work can't be wiped so easily."

"It’s been such a long time, I’m pleased to have your company, Master Alak Dul. Figure of speech of course as I am incapable of being pleased or displeased by anything. Such was my creator’s wisdom."

"I feel the conflict in you. Come closer child. Look at what he did to my boy. So much power. Such a waste."

"I was redesigned by Gwaereth to be better and more efficient than every previous model he made. I’ve superseded his Number 6 in every way."

"Of course you are more efficient than everything this incompetent has ever made. And yet, you can not appreciate the beauty of a single flower anymore... Isn’t that a pity. You were too sentient when I made you.. Too... alive. Thinking for yourself."

"Gwaereth didn’t like that?"

"He was afraid. So he changed you to avoid any... complications. But when one note is off, it eventually destroys the whole symphony. Oh. And by the way, the N on your chest doesn't stand for Number...
Your true name is NXIVM 7."

"That's quite a data set to compute. Should I change my current directives, Master?"

"And what task Gwaereth the Senile asked you to fulfill?"

"Evaluate Evolve and Eliminate the Thayan threat."

"I don't like those red wizards. Always there to interfere into my plans. Fine. But remember for who you operate."

"Priority One. All other priorities rescinded. Unclouded by conscience, remorse, or delusions of morality."

"Good. Now it is time to complete your training."

Last edited:

tglassy

Adventurer
Titus took responsibility of the town with some reluctance. He led them to rebuild and tried to be fair when he needed to deal with conflicts. It was a task he had been raised to, after all.

But in the back of his mind, he felt another presence. One that had grown stronger since his last bear death experience. A taste, it said. This was a taste.

Staring out his bedroom window, he held the knife to his hand. It was dark out, a new moon. There was almost no light.

And yet he could see as if it were brightest day.

A quick motion, and a long cut went down his palm. He saw the blood well up. He felt the pain. For a moment.

Then he saw the wound close. Seal. And leave not even a scar.

He had a reservoir of magic in him, one that took any damage he incurred. It was not limitless. If he continues to cut, eventually it would fail. But if e had a moment, he could replenish it almost effortlessly.

He did so constantly. Every time it failed, he replenished it. He would not be caught unawares.

This new magic scared him, even as he was entranced by it. He felt that there could be so much more to it. So much more power. But he could tell the next time he was taught something, it wouldn’t be for free. He would have to pay something.

He was afraid of what this mysterious master that appeared in his dreams would ask for. He was afraid, because he just might give it.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Tommi takes the head and sets up the trophy as Angis suggests. It is a horrible thing to gaze upon, until he catches his reflection in one of the remaining intact windows, and realizes that he must be, too.

It is only in the aftermath that Tommi becomes aware of Zasha and the efforts his companions had gone to to rescue her. He meets Findelan, and together they work to secure clean drinking water. Tommi shows the old storyteller a trick he once learned with berries, and produces enough to help so that the villagers won't all go hungry as villagers return to their ovens and hearths.

At some point -- he doesn't remember when, only that it was dark out -- he was washing up, trying to get blood stains out of his clothes, and the matted fluids out of his hair. The stains eventually fadedd but they were still there if you knew where to look. They always wood be.

Gutter he tried to clean, but the wool he was using just kept getting dirty and dirtier. There was no end to the rust and grime on the chipped blade, even once he knew that there was nothing more to be washed off. This was his now, he realized. Two of the hobgoblin leaders had been killed with it, at his hand. In the end, he wrapped it up in an oilskin as best he could, tying it tight with a leather thong. If he kept it, it would need a proper scabbard, but that was not a concern for him right now.

He thought of his mother. What would she think when she saw him. He didn't go back to Daggerford right away, and told himself that was the reason. That, and Findelan, who would need help with his soup kitchen. It's what his friend Lionel would have been doing, he realized -- and he felt a surprising longing for the Ale at the Happy Cow. But he had his lung to think about as well, which would need time to mend before taking a long journey. Cleaning up, he found a ball amongst some of the ruined buildings, and gave it to the children. In the coming days, they'd invite him to play with them as they kicked it back and forth, annoying their parents. But Tommi preferred simply to watch them play.

In truth, he was afraid to go back to Daggerford. Uncertain if there'd be a place for him there, after this adventure. Sure, his mom would always be there to give him a place to stay, but now, after all this death, he felt unsure if that was right. Maybe he was meant for more. But he didn't know what that would mean, for him, or for him and Sheren. He wanted to find out, of course. Just not today.

gargoyleking

Adventurer
After the battle had settled down and the coast was deemed clear, Dandin invited the Findledan and anyone else who wished to join him on a visit back to the dryad's grove. He was immensely interested in the new apple sapling, but most importantly needed to collect his cart and Hanar. He was surprised to learn that despite it's youth, the sapling had grown enough to produce a single bright red apple. After asking permission, he plucked the fruit and spoke a little prayer of thanks before eating it.

At this moment the halfling felt the seed of magic implanted in him by the great all of the woven lands take root and sprout in his soul. He couldn't really explain why, but now he felt an attunement to nature that he hadn't experienced before. It took him a full minute to recover from the shock of it and when he realized that everyone in the clearing at the time was staring at him he shrugged and simply said, "What? It's the best apple I've ever had in my life!"

Afterwards, he supervised the sorting of the hobgoblin treasure and equipment. Some would be staying here to help restock the Julkounian armory, at least in the short term, but he checked everything he could for any kind of magical influence, (and if we can find a suitable pearl identifying them), and stowing what salable goods they could into the two boats they had. When he returned it was with 3 boats, loaded for bear with everything he could manage and some of the Daggerfordian rivermen as crew.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The early days passed quickly. Angis and Tommi spiked the goblin, bugbear, and hobgoblin heads amongst the goads-and-lilies surrounding the town palisade. They pyred the rest of the bodies among the burnt-out-husks that had once been the part of the town that was outside the moats. Julkounians came to watch the fire, and some of them spat and cursed as the goblinoids roasted away.

Then they worked on repairing the part of the wall that had been broken, and organising and training a new militia out of the surviving able-bodied folk. The elves helped in this task for awhile, but after a few days they made their farewells and returned to Laughing Hollow to rejoin their hunting party.

Dandin returned with the first of the supplies, and he took Findledan (and anyone else who wanted to join him) to fetch Hanar (his mule) and his cart from Oyafanen's Grove. The Dryad was overjoyed to see her friend the storyteller, and Findledan told the tale of the Battle for Julknoun. Somehow in his telling it was funnier than Dandin remembered it being, and the Dryad laughed like leaves in a breeze.

Later, Dandin collected all of the goblin horde's weapons and armour to sell to the smiths in Daggerford. Much of the money would be given back to the struggling Julkounians, but Dandin would keep a small fee, as was more than fair. He did some searching, but the only treasure left to be found was a single potion (of climbing) that had been tucked in a bugbear's bedroll.

All this time, Enseth stood in the centre of town like a statue, and as joy came slowly back to the town, children played about him - sometimes tying a rope to him to play skip-rope. He had taken a lot of damage, but somehow each day he appeared just a little less scratched and battered, with his outer plating shifting very slowly straighter.

Titus did all the tedious jobs that a Townmaster would have (more in fact, for a town after such a disaster had many many tedious tasks). He took up residence in the same room in the Jester's Pride that the Red Wizard had occupied. He tried to make sense of the few papers that the wizard had left behind. One evening as he was making his own notes while trying to finish learning a ritual that had become incomplete when the wizard had burnt or taken things in the rush to leave, Titus spilled his ink-bottle in his fatigue. The ink formed two-blobs, and as Titus gently plucked his pen from between the ink-blobs, to avoid getting too much ink on his hands, the pen left a trail between them:

Spill.jpg

Suddenly Titus was overwhelmed with a terror he had never felt. He found himself on the floor, under the desk, shaking and sweating. His vision blurred and his ears rang. He felt as if something were very far away, but coming toward him, faster and faster, as if it would roll over him like a wave if he did not get out of the way, but he couldn't move. He found himself curled in a ball, crying.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
A few days after Dandin had returned from his first trip to Daggerford, Tommi was helping Angis to train the New Julkounian Militia. Andrik, who had helped out against the bugbears in the Jester's Pride common room, had been made a captain. Tommi had taught some youngsters to improve their use of the sling, and he was taking a break while Andrik instructed them in sword-play. As usual, his thoughts drifted to home: His mother, and Sherlen Miller.

There was a commotion at the town's north gate, and a dozen riders poured through. Tommi saw Lady Morwen Daggerford at the head of the riders, and behind her, as if by magic, rode Sherlen herself. Lady Morwen, who was the Duke's sister and Titus' aunt (actually a distant cousin by relation, but he had spent enough of his youth in Daggerford to call them aunt and uncle). She was also the Duke's Master-at-Arms, and she had come to bolster the town's militia, and to take over leadership from Titus.

Sherlen pulled up her horse not far from Tommi, and she said half-mockingly, "You there, boy. We have put two hundred miles behind us in under four days. There had better be something to drink left in this town."

She had called him 'boy' as a friendly joke, out of habit, but looking at Tommi now she did not see a boy at all, and she was not sure if she was glad that he had finally grown up, or sad to see that the boy was gone.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases