D&D 5E Idea a Redemption Mod for Infernal Warmachines in BG: DiA

Bolares

Hero
Hmmm. I think I see what you mean, let me try to explain. DiA takes you from level 1 to level 15, so basically from local boys to epic heroes. And the three main stages of the adventure basically mimic the three tiers that you are traversing:
  • Local Heroes in Baldur's Gate
I get this. My point is that the only reason the first part is in Baldur's Gate is because well... it's Baldur's Gate. I feel like if we started in Elturel, making at least some connection to the city, and the people in it, got sent somewhere to do a quest (maybe a ruin where the cult of the dead three or a demonic cult was doing nasty stuff, and we discovered the vanthapurs were behind it) and in the way back we see Elturel falling, the stakes would be higher from the start, and Elturel would mean something personal to the players from the start. They could then go to Baldur's gate after the Vanthapurs, but as written, I felt like I didn't really care about Elturel until latter.

Lyxen

Great Old One
I get this. My point is that the only reason the first part is in Baldur's Gate is because well... it's Baldur's Gate. I feel like if we started in Elturel, making at least some connection to the city, and the people in it, got sent somewhere to do a quest (maybe a ruin where the cult of the dead three or a demonic cult was doing nasty stuff, and we discovered the vanthapurs were behind it) and in the way back we see Elturel falling, the stakes would be higher from the start, and Elturel would mean something personal to the players from the start. They could then go to Baldur's gate after the Vanthapurs, but as written, I felt like I didn't really care about Elturel until latter.

I think the idea is that what happened to Elturel could happen to Baldur's Gate as well, so the PCs couldn't care less about Elturel except for the fact that something horrific happened there, that the responsibles are in Baldur's Gate and still plotting... At least it's the way I took it, and what my PCs took as well.

That being said, they have multiple alignments from NG to a lot of LN/LE, and most of them did not like Elturel, too much goody-two-shoes self-righteous rival anyway.

And now the reason for them to try and save Elturel is that they think that if they don't, Zariel will be much too powerful, vindicated and unstoppable, unredeemable, and will certainly do the same thing to Baldur's Gate, not out of mercy for Elturel.

Bolares

Hero
And now the reason for them to try and save Elturel is that they think that if they don't, Zariel will be much too powerful, vindicated and unstoppable, unredeemable, and will certainly do the same thing to Baldur's Gate, not out of mercy for Elturel.
Sure, but I particularly prefer more personal motivations, at least in the heroic tier. I'd prefer the characters to be invested in Elturel before they now about Zariel... But that's just personal preference.

Lyxen

Great Old One
Sure, but I particularly prefer more personal motivations, at least in the heroic tier. I'd prefer the characters to be invested in Elturel before they now about Zariel... But that's just personal preference.

Actually, the module provides you with ideas about personal motivations for the adventurers, including some with Elturel.

As for my group, they were part of a conspiration to overthrow the BG system and save the city from its current state, but some of them had personal links to some people in Elturel (one had his mother there, another a merchant contact, etc.). It was their choice, and I think a rather good one, as saving Elturel might or might not happen anyway.

Torquar

Explorer
Moreover, you mistake how devils work. They con only claim evil souls, the aim of the contract is to have you commit evil acts so that your soul is forfeit, and devils are interested in powerful souls, you do not see them offering meals in soup kitchen in exchange for souls.
There is a scene in Elturel where an Imp is trying to get a halfling to exchange his soul for a sack of flour to feed his starving family...

ECMO3

Hero
There is a scene in Elturel where an Imp is trying to get a halfling to exchange his soul for a sack of flour to feed his starving family...
Yeah that imp died although as I remember it the halfing was a woman. Tazzi was invisibile and scouting ahead of the party saw them talking and wiped the imp with one shot with her whip.

Tazzi has a real hatred for imps. It is because she was captured by the Vanthamper woman in Baldur's gate and she used imps to torture Tazzi for several days.

I am not sure if that is part of the official adventure or adlib by the DM but as a result Tazzi kills imps on sight, no questions asked ..... I hope a Chain Warlock doesn't join the party.

Lyxen

Great Old One

It's not the normal situation either, the whole city has been pulled down to hell, and even low-level devils have a chance at pulling something really low like this.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Yes - and I find them all equally stupid and metaphysically implausible.
I agree. Given that even the gods of FR dont destroy the souls on the non-believers (or, at least, until recently), they only cemented them in a wall to cut them from I-dont-know-what.

I prefer soul coins to be a currency in Hell, were the ''best'' sinners' souls are worth more. You then can choose between keeping them for fuel or using it to buy stuff.

Remove ads