D&D (2024) I'm a longtime player and there really is only one thing that will stop me from switching to 5.X

Laurefindel

Legend
I’m surprised, our group has switched over to the new rules already and have been updating as the UA’s were released so we kinda already have switched. I was kinda expected most people to do that but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

When the physical books come out as the finished article that will lock things in. It’s been very well received by our group. I can’t seen anything controversial about them at all really. Druid maybe but then we don’t have a Druid in the party.
Most of my gaming friends, even those who are pretty invested in the hobby, only have a vague idea that D&D is cooking some 50th anniversary re-release with slightly updated character creation rules à la Tasha, let alone having knowledge of specific UA content.

Same with the RPG-ing college students I work with. At best there's a curious interest, but they're far from keeping up with the UA in gameplay.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Just to get this out of the way, 5e is my favorite edition of D&D (playing since Moldvay Red Box Basic), and I like the most recent OneD&D changes. So rules-wise I'm there. Even if D&D 5e isn't my favorite D&D-like game. (That's 13th Age, and a 2nd edition of that is in the works.)

The biggest issues that would make me drop 50th Anniversary D&D are:

1. My group not changing. It's several groups, but with overlap. I run 5e because the group like it, but I have lots of other RPGs I'd love a chance to run. If the other DM in the extended group stays with 2014!5e, I won't even bother to pick up the core rules. And he's been making noises about switching to yet a different system, like PF2revised or the new MCDM RPG, so we'll see what the future bring.

2. It becoming subscription. While I don't use DnDBeyond, I don't mind the increase in price and bundled with that material - seeing how little many in the industry get paid I'm all for the 800lb gorilla in the room to charge more for books so they can raise their prices as well. But with 4e between the publishing schedule and the constant errata I just went subscription, and when they ditched it (which WotC has a repeated history of doing) I had not enough left to play how I wanted to. Wizards gave me what they said with their subscription, but I still feel burned by when they pulled the plug as opposed to me pulling the plug and will not do that again.

3. Wizards again showing they are a poor steward of D&D. The OGL debacle had me swearing off any new purchases, and that was barely reversed by someoen stepping up, and the release of the 5e SRD into CC. However, WotC never has agreed that they can't change the OGL, nor have they followed through to put the 3ed and 3.5 SRDs into CC like Kyle said they were going to do by the end of 2023. A lot of older d20 games, including 13th Age that I mentioned above, rely on those for sales of existing books. Them not following through with their CC promise once the furor died down shows me that they haven't actually learned, just made whatever consessions were demanded to back off the bad press. So I'm hair-edge of swearing off WotC purchasing if they again show they are mistreating the brand.

I’m surprised, our group has switched over to the new rules already and have been updating as the UA’s were released so we kinda already have switched. I was kinda expected most people to do that but it doesn’t seem to be the case.

When the physical books come out as the finished article that will lock things in. It’s been very well received by our group. I can’t seen anything controversial about them at all really. Druid maybe but then we don’t have a Druid in the party.
I'd have switched if my D&D group was currently playing 5e not my 4e retroclone.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I won't walk away from D&D unless my group does.

That said, I won't be buying the new core books, and I dropped my years-long DM subscription on DDB to the free level. There's so much 5E content out there that does things I like more than how WOTC does them, and more on the way, that I just don't see a reason. I will buy their products on a case-by-case basis, if they put out something that really sings to me. For instance, that Deck of Many Things looks like it will be a great thing to have in my toolkit.

Valetudo

Adventurer
OK I have not played pf2 but following its development I noticed alot of 4th edition like changes to the game. Some people hate 4th so much they can't acknowledge any good things from 4th. I'm not saying pf2 is 4th, but I am saying newer d20 systems(including 5th and pf2) actually snuck away with alot of 4th ed.

Thomas Shey

Legend
PF2e had some of the better traits of 4e from the day it went out the door; that's unsurprising in a game that aims to produce an interesting tactical challenge encouraging teamwork. They're working in some of the same design space.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
PF2e had some of the better traits of 4e from the day it went out the door; that's unsurprising in a game that aims to produce an interesting tactical challenge encouraging teamwork. They're working in some of the same design space.
With some of the same designers even.

Remove ads