I'm now confuzzled.

James McMurray

First Post
DClown said:
With regards to crits, everything except those dice granted specifically because you crit are maxed.

Do you have a page reference for that? We've got a Daggermaster in our party and have so far been ruling that only the [W] portion of an attack gets maximized. I'm sure he'd dance a happy dance if his sneak attack also got maxed.

Well, maybe he would, if he could ever roll higher than a 17 on his attack rolls. Two sessions, four combats, and who knows how many attacks and he's only critted once. :(

DClown

First Post
pg 278 under the critical hit table. "Rather then roll damage determine the maximum damage you can roll with your attack"

Notice it does not say - "Rather then rolling the damage dice granted by the weapon made with the attack determine the maximum damage of the dice granted by the weapon made with the attack and roll any extra damage that is not granted by a critical but is granted by other abilities ( ex. sneak attack, hunters quarry, warlock curse, etc. )."

Last edited:

James McMurray

First Post
Some members of the group took the section on bonus dice not being rolled to mean that no bonus dice are ever rolled, not just that bonus crit-related dice are never rolled. I disagreed, but the rogue's player didn't seem to care enough to argue, so I didn't either. I was hoping there was a specific layout of what got rolled and what got maxed that I could point to.

Thanks

Simon Marks

First Post
pogminky said:
3) If allies can be used to grant cover

Only in reference to Ranged Attacks, otherwise not.

PHB, Pg 280

"When you make a ranged attack against an enemy, and other enemies are in the way, your target has cover"

The and is important, it indicates that both clauses must be true for the result to be true. If you aren't making a ranged attack, then allies don't count for cover.

DClown

First Post
James McMurray said:
Some members of the group took the section on bonus dice not being rolled to mean that no bonus dice are ever rolled, not just that bonus crit-related dice are never rolled. I disagreed, but the rogue's player didn't seem to care enough to argue, so I didn't either. I was hoping there was a specific layout of what got rolled and what got maxed that I could point to.

Thanks

You won't find a list of everthing that is specifically included. In addition to being inefficient, it will be inaccurate the moment they release any new ability that adds bonus dice. Instead they indicate that all dice are maxed and then list exceptions. This follows the general philosophy of 4e of exception based design.

neobolts

Explorer
James McMurray said:
Do you have a page reference for that? We've got a Daggermaster in our party and have so far been ruling that only the [W] portion of an attack gets maximized. I'm sure he'd dance a happy dance if his sneak attack also got maxed.

Well, maybe he would, if he could ever roll higher than a 17 on his attack rolls. Two sessions, four combats, and who knows how many attacks and he's only critted once. :(

That info is correct. All dice are maxed on a crit, with the exception of dice that occur as a result of crits.

It was a WotC response post. I can't seem to find the consolidated WotC responses thread here on ENWorld, so if someone else can point it out it'll clear things up.

pogminky

First Post
O.k - so far I'm judging the contentious issues as follows:

1) How stealth operates within combat - you can use distraction and bluff once/encounter to make a stealth check to get CA; you can use cover/concealment to get a stealth check to get CA.

2) Temp hp don't stack with regard to warlock boon thing

3) Technically allies can be used to granty cover & thus stealth, but I ain't gonna allow it unless it somehow seems really appropriate in a given situation

4) Quarry is def. maxed on a crit, sneak attack is ambiguous but until I get clarification it's maxed

So, what have I got wrong? :)

shadowguidex

First Post
pogminky said:
O.k - so far I'm judging the contentious issues as follows:

1) How stealth operates within combat - you can use distraction and bluff once/encounter to make a stealth check to get CA; you can use cover/concealment to get a stealth check to get CA.

Feint (bluff) in combat grants combat advantage, you don't need to roll stealth after a Feint.

Create a Diversion (Bluff) in combat can be used to distract the enemy (enemies are normally only distracted when not in combat - in combat they are observing all around them) to allow you to hide behind nearby cover/concealment.

IF you have cover or concealment, you can roll Stealth as part of an action to maintain stealth and get combat advantage, but remember if you move more than 2 squares you take a penalty of -5, and if you move out of cover/concealment you are automatically seen. Attacking always reveals you afterwards, and sometimes stealth just isn't ever going to grant you combat advantage, if you need to move through a bunch of squares that don't grant any cover/concealment.

2) Temp hp don't stack with regard to warlock boon thing

They never stack, the same power used twice is two different sources. They never stack.

3) Technically allies can be used to granty cover & thus stealth, but I ain't gonna allow it unless it somehow seems really appropriate in a given situation

cover is granted only as it pertains to ranged attacks. It isn't cover as is pertains to stealth etc, only for ranged attacks.

4) Quarry is def. maxed on a crit, sneak attack is ambiguous but until I get clarification it's maxed

Only extra damage granted as a result of the critical hit isn't maxed. Any damage you would roll on a non-crit is maximized (ie sneak, curse, quarry, etc). Any damage you gain only because of the critical hit (magic weapon bonus dice, high crit weapon damage, feats like devastating, etc).

Last edited:

Kaledor

First Post
In regards to Temp HP:
shadowguidex said:
They never stack, the same power used twice is two different sources. They never stack.

Consider the following scene:

Player starts out with 22 hp.
Warlock gains 5 temp hp from Power A.
The following round he takes 3 hp of damage BUT also gains another 5 temp hp from Power A.

SO...

Does he get to have:
1) 27 hp (22hp + 5 temp == you take the higher of the two amounts: you have 2 temp hp left from round one and 5 from round 2, so you take the 5 thp)
2) 24 hp (22hp + 5 temp == you take the higher of the two amounts which would be 5, but since you've already recieved the 5 thp there's no change in the amount of temp hp you have)
3) 29 hp (22hp + 5temp - 3dam + 5 temp) <--- This option is wrong because you're stacking the temp hp but I included it for the sake of completeness.

This could get wierder if the player recieved 7 temp hp round one, toook 3 points of damage, and then recieved 5 temp hp the following round. If the player started with 22hp, how many does he have now?

I didn't think I was confused about temporary hit points, but I am now :(

Remove ads