Interest Check: Mage: the Awakening (Storytellerplus group wanted)

fireinthedust

Explorer
I would really like to give this game a try. I've only just now cracked the cover on my nWoD books and given them a thorough reading, and I want to give the system and play style a try. i know there are nWoD fanatics out there, I've just never played with them.

SO: who's interested in showing me the ropes?

I've played and GMd mostly D&D site-based material, with some rp-heavy stuff, but not the sort of WoD style storytelling. I'm up for it, but have no group.

Jemal

Adventurer
Love Wod - Vampire and Mage specifically.
Unfortunately there seems to be very little interest in it on ENWorld. :(

fireinthedust

Explorer
You're telling me! I don't know a good board to try it out on. I like ENworld (and, frankly, I pitched some help tot eh Kickstarter in case I ever run a pbp; gotta set that up, I guess, to benefit), so was hoping the knowledgeable crowd here would help me with this one.

Jemal

Adventurer
Well I've tried GMing and playing WoD and NWoD but haven't had many takers. My last vampire game fizzled due to.. general fizzle, I guess? A couple people just couldn't get into the characters they were making, etc..
[MENTION=59043]Walking Dad[/MENTION], [MENTION=31955]Thondor[/MENTION], [MENTION=4936]Shayuri[/MENTION], [MENTION=17100]Fangor the Fierce[/MENTION] had some interest back then. I'll drop their names here to see if any of them are interested.

Shayuri

First Post
I am interested, but I will tell you...I have been at a low ebb, creatively speaking, lately. It's been a struggle for me. Not so much in terms of time...or not JUST in terms of time...but because the workload over the day has left me a shambling husk of a man by the time I get home.

Shambling husks, I am surprised to discover, aren't much on writing things. They like to sit and stare blankly at screens. Drooling is occasionally involved.

That said, make yer pitch matey and I'll consider it carefully.

Things have improved a little the last week or so, and I have hopes they will improve more soon, so all is not lost.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Okay, this sounds good!

If we're going to do this, we should get the following things decided. I want everyone to weigh in on each issue, and come up with some ideas.

Who: Mages are a must for me. Others are up for debate. As long as the players commit to characters, and this isn't a min/max group who want to hacknslash nWoD without playing their parts, interesting mixes and concepts would be cool.

City: Where. I just got back from DC, which was nice. Boston is a supplement that would help GMs, ditto Chicago. London would be a rich setting. Wherever we are, English needs to be a thing. Alternatively, we can go on road trips.

Supernaturals: I think giving the option of using other nWoD source material is good, if the GM wants to use Spirits that's great, or have Vampires in the picture, or Changelings (the lost) or Golems (promethean) or Hunters. Thing is, if we're allowing them, the more that's in the more we risk having really off-the-wall concepts that are a bit of a stretch (ie: some of the golems in that book are kindof pushing it for me; I like mine classic Frankenstein. Ditto werewolves whose powers could better be done using Mages).

When: "right now" would be my preference.

How: Combat heavy? Politics heavy? Artefact hunting? Tone of the campaign, basically. I'd like to go for sandbox-style, but with events that evolve as we interact with them. Occasional combat/action is fine if it's realistically achieved, and I'd like to have the option of talking around it or problem-solving through it. If it serves a greater plot purpose is another fine reason for it.

Concepts: post your concept

Description: post a pic or a description or both

Stats: a link to myth-weavers sounds reasonable

history (pre-awakening): Who you were.

Awakening: What it was like (ditto embrace/first prowl/first hunt or vigil or whatever)

Post-Awakening: where you're at since you became a Mage (or if we allow Vamps/Lycanthropes/Hunters, that). Note your links to the local Consilium (or lack thereof), any mentors you have, and what your dayjob would be like.

Jemal

Adventurer
I notice you left off the most important question:
Who's Running the show.
I don't get the feeling that you want the job..

Personally, I'd much rather play - as stated before, I never get a chance to play this game, and I'm running a lot of games on various sites as is. Also when I GM WoD, it's VERY player-driven, and not a lot of people are into that.

As to the questions:
Who: Mages are a must for me. Others are up for debate. As long as the players commit to characters, and this isn't a min/max group who want to hacknslash nWoD without playing their parts, interesting mixes and concepts would be cool.
I'm partial to vampires myself, but I do have the mage book, so I could go with that if it's the consensus. I'd prefer to play a vampire though.
And for the record, I'm much more into the non-combat stuff in WoD games.

City: Where. I just got back from DC, which was nice. Boston is a supplement that would help GMs, ditto Chicago. London would be a rich setting. Wherever we are, English needs to be a thing. Alternatively, we can go on road trips.
There's always the standard 'metropolis/gotham city' Super-city make-it-up thing.
If you want a real city, My vote's for London

Supernaturals: I think giving the option of using other nWoD source material is good, if the GM wants to use Spirits that's great, or have Vampires in the picture, or Changelings (the lost) or Golems (promethean) or Hunters. Thing is, if we're allowing them, the more that's in the more we risk having really off-the-wall concepts that are a bit of a stretch (ie: some of the golems in that book are kindof pushing it for me; I like mine classic Frankenstein. Ditto werewolves whose powers could better be done using Mages).
I think this is essentially the same question as "Who", and I give the same answer.

When: "right now" would be my preference.
I presume you mean time-setting for the game, not when do we want to run it? :p
I'm also a fan of modern-day.

How: Combat heavy? Politics heavy? Artefact hunting? Tone of the campaign, basically. I'd like to go for sandbox-style, but with events that evolve as we interact with them. Occasional combat/action is fine if it's realistically achieved, and I'd like to have the option of talking around it or problem-solving through it. If it serves a greater plot purpose is another fine reason for it.
I like my WoD very Sandboxy, primarily politics & intrigue, with a healthy side-dose of combat. Not so fond of puzzles/traps/dungeon crawling.

Concepts: post your concept
Description: post a pic or a description or both
history (pre-awakening): Who you were.
Awakening: What it was like (ditto embrace/first prowl/first hunt or vigil or whatever)
Post-Awakening: where you're at since you became a Mage (or if we allow Vamps/Lycanthropes/Hunters, that). Note your links to the local Consilium (or lack thereof), any mentors you have, and what your dayjob would be like.

I think I'll wait on this until we get the other stuff figured out.
Stats: a link to myth-weavers sounds reasonable
I have to agree with WD, I will not be using an external sheet or character generator.

Now, for WD's question: I've not seen that revision before, will have to look it over before forming my own opinion on it. Just from the synopsis though, it doesn't appear to be a 'core rules revision', but rather an expansion with some new and alternate rules.

Remove ads