D&D 5E Jump

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
When under the spell, each 3 feet you jump uses up 1 foot of your movement for the round (a sort of "easy terrain").

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
FYI Mike Mearls confirmed that the intent is for magic to let you jump farther than your movement;

@Plaguescarred Can you jump farther than your movement when using magic i.e spell Jump & boots of striding and springing?
@mikemearls i'd rule yes - design intent is to make you jump super far

Wachunga

First Post
Would you suffer falling damage? A Jump boosted fighter with 20 Str clears 24 ft vertical.

24 ft vertical would be for a high jump. For jumping over the front line, rules say you can clear "a quarter of the jump's distance" or 15 feet (60ft / 4). That's still enough to jump above (most) enemies less than 10 feet tall and avoid their reach.

In either case, I would also rule that specific beats general here and the magic-enhanced jumper does not incur falling damage. Otherwise the spell becomes rather limited in use. The fighter might suck up the falling damage, but falling prone at the end due to falling damage would not be great.

Runny

First Post
24 ft vertical would be for a high jump. For jumping over the front line, rules say you can clear "a quarter of the jump's distance" or 15 feet (60ft / 4). That's still enough to jump above (most) enemies less than 10 feet tall and avoid their reach.

In either case, I would also rule that specific beats general here and the magic-enhanced jumper does not incur falling damage. Otherwise the spell becomes rather limited in use. The fighter might suck up the falling damage, but falling prone at the end due to falling damage would not be great.

Thanks for the clearing 15 feet catch! I would rule likewise. The spell should deal with the consequences of massive deceleration for you.

Ruzak

First Post
For a physical jump the landing speed, acceleration, & force are the same as those at launch. So, if your body can withstand the jump, it can handle the landing.

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
FYI Jeremy Crawford chimed in and on the contrary said that every foor jump cost movement and is cap by your speed;

@Plaguescarred Can you jump farther than your movement when using magic i.e spell Jump & boots of striding and springing?
@mikemearls i'd rule yes - design intent is to make you jump super far
@JeremyECrawford To be clear, things like the jump spell don't increase speed. You can jump crazy far, but your speed caps it.
@Plaguescarred Are you saying you can't jump farther than your speed even with Jump spell or Boots of Striding and Springing?
@JeremyECrawford Every foot jumped costs movement, so you can jump farther than your current speed if you take the Dash action.

Juriel

First Post
Conflicting signals again...

I think, if someone's using a spell slot on casting Jump / attunement slot on them boots, they should bloody well get some movement benefit out of the things.

If you treat flying speed one way, why is jump so different?

I guess we should be glad they didn't go the 4e route of you 'hanging' in the air and continuing your movement the next turn...

Remove ads