D&D 5E Keep on the Borderlands - OOC (Filled UP)

tglassy

Adventurer
Interest Check (OPEN to ALL)

So...a Priapt of Health, and a potion of Superior Healing. Total cost of 200, since the potion is too expensive.

Great. A priapt of Health. So I can’t get diseases. As a Paladin. Who is immune to diseases. *sigh*

Since I have 200 gp left, can I retroactively spend the extra 100gp for my Persuasion check to make it Table D, since I was 1 point away? Then I’d get a Bag Of Devouring Instead...not the most useful item, but more useful than one that mimics a class feature.

Last edited:

TallIan

Explorer
Sorry, the brown stuff hit the fan at work today, and I'm looking at a busy day tomorrow. Then we're off on a short vacation for the long weekend. All this to say, I should hopefully get everything done for Tuesday.

Li Shenron

Legend
Was working on starting gear and have this whole ideal of a large group stash that you would need to deal out before we started. But to make things a bit easier, I think it may be best just to use the DMG guidelines.

So get your characters up to 5th lvl and each has his starting gear and can spend up to 500gp on other gear/magic. We will use the Buying Magical Items in XGtE (saying the player only has 1 workweek to work with).

I do not have the XGtE book. Can you share the rules, or should I use some alternative?

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Here you go.

Xanathar's Guide To Everything said:
[sblock=Buying a Magic Item]
Resources. Finding magic items to purchase requires at least one workweek of effort and 100 gp in expenses. Spending more time and money increases your chance of finding a high-quality item.

Resolution. A character seeking to buy a magic item makes a Charisma (Persuasion) check to determine the quality of the seller found. The character gains a +1 bonus on the check for every workweek beyond the first that is spent seeking a seller and a +1 bonus for every additional 100 gp spent on the search, up to a maximum bonus of +10. The monetary cost includes a wealthy lifestyle, for a buyer must impress potential business partners.

As shown on the Buying Magic Items table, the total of the check dictates which table in the Dungeon Master’s Guide to roll on to determine which items are on the market. Or you can roll for items from any table associated with a lower total on the Buying Magic Items table. (...)

Using the Magic Item Price table, you then assign prices to the available items, based on their rarity. Halve the price of any consumable item, such as a potion or a scroll, when using the table to determine an asking price. (...)

Buying Magic Items
Check Total | Items Acquired
1–5 Roll 1d6 times on Magic Item Table A.
6–10 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table B.
11–15 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table C.
16–20 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table D.
21–25 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table E.
26–30 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table F.
31–35 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table G.
36–40 Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table H.
41+ Roll 1d4 times on Magic Item Table I.

Magic Item Price
Rarity | Asking Price*
Common (1d6 + 1) × 10 gp
Uncommon 1d6 × 100 gp
Rare 2d10 × 1,000 gp
Very rare (1d4 + 1) × 10,000 gp
Legendary 2d6 × 25,000 gp
*Halved for a consumable item like a potion or scroll[/sblock]

Edit: It's also the same rules as in the Unearthed Arcana article "Downtime", which is freely available here.

Last edited:

Li Shenron

Legend
Charisma (Persuasion): 1d20+5 = [9]+5 = 14

Can choose to roll on either table A, B or C. Since we cannot affor items on table C, I choose B.

Rolls to make on Table B: 1d4 = [4] = 4

Rolls on Table B:
1D100 = [81] = 81
1D100 = [33] = 33
1D100 = [31] = 31
1D100 = [95] = 95

Uncommon magic item prices (x100gp):
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [5] = 5
1D6 = [1] = 1
1D6 = [6] = 6

Summary of magic items found on sale:

Elemental Gem (500gp, or 250gp if considered consumable)
Ammunition +1 (500gp, or 250gp if considered consumable)
Ammunition +1 (100gp, or 50gp if considered consumable)
Ring of Swimming (600gp)

Purchase decision:

If you consider the Elemental Gem to be consumable, then I will take it for 250gp + one Greater Healing Potion for 100gp, and spend the remaining 50gp on Studded Leather Armor (45gp) and a Healer's Kit (5gp).

Otherwise if the Elemental Gem costs 500gp, then it's beyond budget and I will take 2 x Greater Healing Potions for 200gp in its place, for a total of 3, and I'll still take the armor and kit.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases