D&D 5E List of All 33 Races in Mordenkainen's Monsters of the Multiverse

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books. Aarackocra Assimar Bugbear Centaur Changeling Deep Gnome Duergar Eladrin Fairy Firbolg Genasi, Air Genasi, Earth Genasi, Fire Gennasi, Water Githyanki Githzerai Goblin Goliath Harengon Hobgoblin Kenku Kobold Lizardfolk Minotaur Orc Satyr Sea Elf Shadar Kai Shifter Tabaxi...

Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse contains 33 races compiled from previous Dungeons & Dragons books.

greg-rutkowski-monsters-of-the-multiverse-1920.jpg

• Aarackocra
  • Assimar
  • Bugbear
  • Centaur
  • Changeling
  • Deep Gnome
  • Duergar
  • Eladrin
  • Fairy
  • Firbolg
  • Genasi, Air
  • Genasi, Earth
  • Genasi, Fire
  • Gennasi, Water
  • Githyanki
  • Githzerai
  • Goblin
  • Goliath
  • Harengon
  • Hobgoblin
  • Kenku
  • Kobold
  • Lizardfolk
  • Minotaur
  • Orc
  • Satyr
  • Sea Elf
  • Shadar Kai
  • Shifter
  • Tabaxi
  • Turtle
  • Triton
  • Yuan-ti

While reprinted, these races have all been updated to the current standard used by WotC for D&D races used in Tasha's Cauldron of Everything, including a free choice of ability score increases (increase one by 2 points and another by 1 point; or increase three by 1 point), and small races not suffering a movement speed penalty.

The video below from Nerd Immersion delves into the races in more detail.

The cries of D&D is ruined echo back to the release of Greyhawk and Blackmoor.
Agreed. No one can agree on what D&D essentially is, what edition was best (or even what the best part of each edition was), nor what makes the current edition good or bad, but every major change will ruin it.
wow... okay I can't even try to talk to someone who can't put themselves in someone elses shoes... I mean I thought role players were MORE empathic because we could see all the roles, more and more I realize I was wrong.
I don't actually think Defcon1 was being all that mean spirited by saying they have zero sympathy, although the 'are you so special' lines do go a bit far. However, you just now realized that nerdom is often people being vaguely awful and/or condescending towards other members of the same group, in a vaguely schoolyard battle for supremacy?
The vast majority of of players wouldn't know balance if it hit them over the head for 1d4 bludgeoning damage. Most players respond to their feelings about things, not any sort of analysis.
Case in point.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think this cements me waiting until 6th edition before I purchased more D&D products. I don't like that my PHB has different rules from multiple releases since then regarding races and whatnot.
But it doesn’t. Did I miss “elf” on that list of races?
Yeah, given 5e's popularity, they're really trying to make people believe that this isnt a new edition coming, but for all intents and purposes (other than optics) it is.
Maybe, but even if so (and I don’t think you’re right), it won’t be as different as 3 and 3.5, much less any other previous new edition of wotc D&D.
enough changes it is ALMOST a 6e,
Is it? Is it even vaguely in the same region as a 6e? How low is your bar for a new edition?

The "races" within D&D are not different races, they are different species.

That inaccurate terminology has brought WoTC/D&D all sorts of trouble over the past couple of years.
I think this is a huge chunk of the debate. It's quite clear that a massive chunk of the playerbase seems to think of them as the equivalent of real world human races. And when looked at from that lense, it's pretty clear that saying 'x race is less intelligent' is absolutely not ok and extremely racist.

Others (including myself) think of them as different and in many cases completely unrelated species. A human would have more in common with a chimp than it would with a lizardfolk, and them being extremely different isn't racism. It's just two completely different species being different.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
View attachment 149730
Basilisk lizard
Runs on two legs
Size: tiny (max height/length = 36")
Max speed: 15mph (and can run on water)

View attachment 149731
Human
Runs on two legs
Size: medium
Max speed: 15-16 mph (only one known to have walked on water)

Okay, sorry, that's silly. But watch a Youtube clip of basilisk lizards running in slow motion. It will make you happy.

Apparently 27.5 for the human. How Fast Can a Human Run? (Published 2020)

An adult basilisk lizard can only move a few meters before sinking. (The kids can go 20m). Common basilisk - Wikipedia

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
wow... okay I can't even try to talk to someone who can't put themselves in someone elses shoes... I mean I thought role players were MORE empathic because we could see all the roles, more and more I realize I was wrong.
I can absolutely put myself in the other person's shoes. Those shoes are that they want to play an old edition of the game and they want the company that made that old game to spend THEIR time and money making more stuff for that old game. A game that 1) already has so much stuff made FOR that game that no one could ever use all of it... and 2) that they think that is a reasonable want.

So when I put on those shoes... I can tell right away that those shoes don't fit. They don't fit for me, and won't fit for almost anyone else. And this is exactly why I believe it is an unreasonable want. Just because someone wants something doesn't mean they can have it or that it is the responsibility for others to give it to them. Instead... if they want it that badly, they can make it for themselves. Especially considering that has been the entire foundation of the Dungeons & Dragons game from the very beginning... making the game your own.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
The ultimate irony of course being that probably most of the people that are annoyed that they can't buy the book by itself this very minute are the same people that probably are going complain about all the changes the book brings. LOL.

If you just pretend like this book doesn't actually exist, you don't have to be concerned about either of those two things.
Well, you can pretend that, but that doesn't do anything about the social pressure to use it coming from WotC, DDB, the media (how hard do you think Critical Role will push the new shiny?), and possibly your players. Since these changes seem to make PCs stronger (even if just a little) I expect many are going to want them in your game, and perhaps be resentful if you say no. Not a dealbreaker, but something to think about.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I want more options. I want the current bounded accuracy to go back to 4e style (it doesn't have to be half level 1/3 or 1/4 level still works and keeps numbers low, especially if we keep stat max at 20)
I want classes all redesigned from the ground up so we can have complex martial fighters and simple wizards.
Fair enough, but it won't happen. 5E is the baseline for evergreen D&D now.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm not sure I like some of these changes (speed and light sensitivity), but I'm happy about the changes to ability score bonuses. In my experience, the ability score increases are 90% of the reason why players choose a particular race in the first place--so I think this will "unlock" a lot of new options and variety for my players.

But I wish they had stopped there. It's nothing that a house-rule can't fix, but I'm just not looking forward to the ensuing arguments.

Remove ads

Remove ads