Loki Season 2 Discussion - Spoilers

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I’d agree but… the whole of the two seasons took place over, what, two weeks? Plus a thousand years of montage right at the end?

I mean, I was trying to toss Loki S2 a bone....

In fairness, S1 took 280 minutes of screen time, and S2 took about the same amount, so 560 minutes of screen time total.

So he had 4.5 Marvel Movies of character development!

(Marvel Math is the Best Math)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I wasn’t familiar with the word.

But it looks like prison to me not triumph. I mean you can call it a throne but it’s basically a man sitting alone in a chair forever? That sounds like hell to me! Can he at least order pizza once every million years?

I guess maybe it appeals to some people? But to me that doesn’t look like a happy ending.
He's an extrovert....I'd think this job would drive him insane....

yeah its not a happy ending - its heroic sacrifice, a complete inversion of the villainous, self serving, covetous personality he had when he started the MCU. He goes with the satisfaction that his friends now have a chance to choose their own destinies and so does everyone else. It may appear lonely but he now holds every life in his hands - he has a Glorious Purpose

Loki was directly spun out of the Avengers saga, it might have been 2 seasons of TV but I’d argue it only works if you are aware of the previous movie arch - Some might consider that a flaw

Zaukrie

New Publisher
yeah its not a happy ending - its heroic sacrifice, a complete inversion of the villainous, self serving, covetous personality he had when he started the MCU. He goes with the satisfaction that his friends now have a chance to choose their own destinies and so does everyone else. It may appear lonely but he now holds every life in his hands - he has a Glorious Purpose
My point was, he shouldn't be able to last forever. It isn't in his nature, no matter how much he wants to sit there forever.....forever is a very long time. I appreciate what they went for....but the lack of anything happening or mattering for most of the season has left a sour taste in my mouth.

MarkB

Legend
I wonder whether the TVA will have any kind of lasting impact in the MCU. They seem to have reconfigured their mission statement to be protecting all timelines against multiversal threats such as Kang, but bringing them in as part of any other MCU property would feel pretty deus-ex-machina-ish. Like, we've already had movies with such threats that technically take place after this season, but I couldn't really imagine them showing up in Multiverse of Madness or one of the Spiderverse movies.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
yeah its the problem with doing an integrated universe on a finite budget, at the end of the day you have to work within the actor pool you have access to.

Does it make sense for Loki to timeskip back to his dad and talked through some ideas. Absolutely. But perhaps they can't afford or get Anthony Hopkins for the part, so they drop that idea.

Of course there are ways to have your cake and eat it too. You could just show Loki do a skip back to Odin (his back turned using a double), and then have Loki start talking to Odin while the scene fades to black. We as the audience miss out on what is said but we then know that Loki is consulting some of the big players (which closes the narrative gap).

I'll use another example. In No Way Home....ok Spiderman has been outed to the world, its a REALLY tough time for him. Not a single avenger comes out to console him, help him out? Thats insane! Again actor budget, but an easy workaround. Have Peter recieve a letter, signed by all the avengers (fake signatures likely unless you actually can get the actors to sign it). The letter says they are all behind him 100%, rooting for him, etc etc. Now is that as good as getting actual actors to come in and talk to Peter of course not, but it at least tells the audience "yeah the avengers are not total a holes, they are present in the story". I am sure most audience members can respect you can't get the whole cast into every movie, but that dosn't mean you can't use just a few narrative tricks to convince me they don't just poof out of existance when its not their movie.

So, just like the comics most of the time?

Stalker0

Legend
So, just like the comics most of the time?
That's not an effective argument at this point. The reason Marvel started succeeding in the first place was by bringing the best part of comics to the big screen while removing some of the more cornier and weirder bits.

I think frankly one reason the quality is dropping is because the work has gone "full comics", and we are bringing in a lot of the zanier stuff that a core part of the viewing audience just doesn't care about.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That's not an effective argument at this point. The reason Marvel started succeeding in the first place was by bringing the best part of comics to the big screen while removing some of the more cornier and weirder bits.

I think frankly one reason the quality is dropping is because the work has gone "full comics", and we are bringing in a lot of the zanier stuff that a core part of the viewing audience just doesn't care about.
Sorry. I didn't mean it was a good thing!

That was amazing.
Probably the best episode of TV produced so far by Marvel for me.
I loved every (miss) minute of it.

We’re Into the Loki-verse now, I like the idea of Loki keeping the dying multiverse alive.
It’s a fitting metaphor for the fact he’s been carrying the franchise since the first avengers movies.

Remove ads