[LPF] Buyer's Remorse

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Borric Hawkins, Male Human Fighter

Borric retrieved his weapons that had fallen from his grasp earlier and heads into the house with the others. He thanks people for healing, but it takes him a few attempts to determine who did it since he wasn't conscious at the time.

Seeing that everything is prepared for a siege, Borric settles in to the routine of standing watch and daydream about the handmaidens that await in the afterlife. He has his shield stowed and his shortbow out to fire arrows through the slits in the poorly boarded windows if necessary.

He sets aside a sunrod to provide good illumination after night arrives in full force and he checks the holder in his backpack to stick the shaft once lit so it will shine light from over his left shoulder.

At Secalli's fright, he stands up from his sitting position takes a peek.

"I don't think your hound is going to be carrying a torch, is he? Stand aside and let us take a look."

Swash1.jpg
Borric Hawkins

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Brân settles in for the wait as well. Superficially, his native charm and confidence make it seem as though he's completely at his ease; however, a deeper look reveals subtle signs of discomfort brought about by hobnobbing above his social status.

When the torches appear - and the Secalli seem anxious about them - he draws his falcata and finds a front corner in which to step into the shadows.

[sblock=Action/Roll]Stealth Check (1d20+6=20)

Just before whomever is approaching enters, he'll tuck himself into the shadows and remain as still as possible. If they're OK, there'll be no need to reveal himself, but if they're not maybe he can gain at least a momentary advantage.[/sblock]

Ace Cipher Zero

First Post
Thaddeus had largely been resting, and contemplating the battle and the situation, in a corner that was easy to hide in. As such, when torches were sighted, he had little to do but remain where he was, and just hide there, to be prepared to analyze this new factor.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
Four figures illuminated in flickering orange torch light enter the yard, a fifth and sixth stay some twenty feet behind them lite in a steady austere white light. The four take up position evenly spaced before the house.

The four closest have the look of hired mercenaries, unshaven, well armed, and faintly villainous. Three are burly types armed with short swords and wearing studded leather armor, the fourth is leaner holds a pair of blades and wears a hungry leer that is truly ghastly in the torchlight.

The fifth figure - at the rear - is almost skeletally thin and wears a long black robe, the white light - shining from the tip of a staff - harshly illuminates craggy ancient features. He clutches a frightened looking boy of perhaps nine of ten years old in one claw-like hand.

Those keen of hearing pick hear the old man chant, then you hear a thin rasping voice amplified to a dull roar which causes the house to shake faintly with the hacking coughs that intersperse each sentence.

"Give me the Golden Hound. I am Davalan Bareen. It was stolen from me and is rightfully mine, I have searched for it these long years to rid myself of its curse and I will not be rebuffed. You may even have it back once I have sold it to the boy - he must die in anycase. Do not make me spend your lives as well.

As for you mercenaries, you refused the offer of my other hired blades and proved your worth by dispatching them. Leave here in peace and I will pay you five hundred gold pieces each. Remain and join my service and I shall make you wealthy beyond the dreams a sellsword has a right to.

Now make your decisions and be swift, if you fail to appear I shall have to burn you out."

rb780nm

First Post
"How dare you threaten a child! Release him this instant." Iosef calls, drawing his javelin and lining up one of the newcomers.

Last edited:

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
"This child is my last living relative, I have lost nineteen dearer already to that infernal Hound. YOU HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WOULD DARE TO FREE MYSELF OF THIS CURSE! EVERY FULLMOON ANOTHER LOVED ONE TAKEN, ANOTHER CHERISHED FRIEND, MY WIFE, MY CHILDREN, MY BROTHERS, MY STUDENTS, MY HEART HAS BEEN SHATTERED SO MANY TIMES IT HAS REGROWN INTO A CALLOUSED KNOT OF SCARS AND HATE! All that matters is that I escape the Hound, that is all that matters now. This bastard grandson is the last for whom I hold a shread of care, Nate will take this burden from my bowed shoulders and then the Hound will have the foolish child who still refuses to relinquish his care for his Grandfather."

The old man twists leaning down and pulling the boy up sharply by his wrist to look into his face and bellows, "HATE ME BOY! HATE ME THAT I MIGHT LET YOU LIVE!"

The boy, Nate, looks up at his grandfather and sobs, "I'm sorry Grandpa, I'll try, I'll try, I'll try. Please"

"Poor child." Mrs Secalli breathes tears sparkling upon her cheeks.

[sblock=Iosef]You are in the house at the moment, barricaded in infact, so bear in mind you can exit, but it will be obvious and take a bit of time. Sorry if that was not clear.[/sblock]

Last edited:

Gerald007

First Post
"Don't be hasty Bareen--perhaps we can help each other out. We aim to kill the Golden Hound and free everyone from its curse. If you know more about the accursed idol than us, we could use the knowledge to everyone's gain, and no one needs be hurt," the witch yells out the window, hoping that the enraged man might listen to reason.

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
The old man sighs,

"Do you know how many times I have tried, how many "heroes" I have hired, how many traps I have set? I have poured my fortune into stopping the beast all for naught.

If I were to heed your words the Hound would kill the boy and take my last chance for my soul to be free, I would become another of those pitiful shadow hounds bound to serve the will of the Golden Hound for all time. No. This is my last chance. Give me the Hound, I shall sell it to the boy and then you may take it from his corpse. I cannot be swayed. The boys life is the cheapest way out of this predicament - for us all. Can you not see that?"

[sblock=WTF?]
If you are wondering what the fraggle rock is going on, then I refer you to the Golden Hounds rhymn - see below. Read carefully it should explain the situation.[/sblock]

[sblock=Golden Hounds Rhymn]"Yours I am as you agreed,
bound to me by lust and greed.
Jealous am I of those too near,
for owning me the cost is dear.

I shall bind you unto death,
until you join me with your last breath.
To be rid of me you must betray,
get your nearest love to pay.

Rejoice that you are so bound,
to the stolen wish the Golden Hound.
In full moon's light the price is paid,
another shall die should one evade."

Additional verse given by the Boundsoul Hounds...

Know that death is no escape.
Your soul shall take another shape.
Hound and Master now transposed,
the iron collar bound and forever closed."
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
The lurker lurks

OOC: sorry to intrude, but it was not in your s block

"I discovered the inscription is in infernal and had it translated a few weeks ago, it reads...
"Yours I am as you agreed,
bound to me by lust and greed.
Jealous am I of those too near,
for owning me the cost is dear.

I shall bind you unto death,
until you join me with your last breath.
To be rid of me you must betray,
get your nearest love to pay.
Rejoice that you are so bound,
to the stolen wish the Golden Hound.
In full moons light the price is paid,
another shall die should one evade."

Last edited:

Aldern Foxglove

First Post
OOC: Map showing foe placement.

[sblock=Scott Dewar]No problem, all shows up in the sblock for me though - in large yellow text. Can everyone else see it out of curiosity?[/sblock]

BuyersRemorseMap3a.jpg

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases