D&D 5E Monks and Magic Items.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've seen complaints about Monks and magic items. Specifically that the inclusion of magic items either (a)nullify the monk's ki-empowered Strike abilities or (b)there aren't dedicated magic items for the monk or (c)magic items don't increase monk's DPR compared to other martials.

I disagree. Martial Arts is the ability to turn low-priority loot into decent endgame items. A +1 dagger outdamages a mundane quarterstaff by level 11 and by then, there's probably +2 maces and handaxes available. A fighter would rather have a mundane greatsword but a monk can use any simple magic item to their benefit.

Including shortswords. Which many magic items are capable of being. So, the monk can have a d10 rod of lordly might. Or dual-wield a flametongue and frostbrand shortsword.

They also have magic items that gain their greatest benefits in the hands of a monk. Like the Staff of Striking, Boots of Speed, Winged Boots, or the Ring of Jumping.

So I kinda disagree with the point that monk's suffer due to magic items.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I've seen it as one of the oh, so great grievances with the monks online. In reality, I haven't seen it either but I'm very curious where this grievance e even come from.

My cynical side wants to say that it's the whiteroom theorycrafters that made sweeping assumptions just to confirm a pre-conceived bias since my experience has been different, but I am curious if there is a basis for the argument outside of glancing at magic item attunement and not seeing "Monks only" anywhere.

ECMO3

Hero
I've seen complaints about Monks and magic items. Specifically that the inclusion of magic items either (a)nullify the monk's ki-empowered Strike abilities or (b)there aren't dedicated magic items for the monk or (c)magic items don't increase monk's DPR compared to other martials.

I disagree. Martial Arts is the ability to turn low-priority loot into decent endgame items. A +1 dagger outdamages a mundane quarterstaff by level 11 and by then, there's probably +2 maces and handaxes available. A fighter would rather have a mundane greatsword but a monk can use any simple magic item to their benefit.

Including shortswords. Which many magic items are capable of being. So, the monk can have a d10 rod of lordly might. Or dual-wield a flametongue and frostbrand shortsword.

They also have magic items that gain their greatest benefits in the hands of a monk. Like the Staff of Striking, Boots of Speed, Winged Boots, or the Ring of Jumping.

So I kinda disagree with the point that monk's suffer due to magic items.
I think it depends on the DM.

If the DM randomly determines magic items Monks are better than most classes. In this case many of the OP whiteroom builds in particular (bladesinger or PAM/GWM martial) will be severely nerfed by the lack of that one or two weapons they can use with their abilities. They will still be using mostly nonmagic weapons at level 15 or they will be using magic weapons that are far less than ideal for their build. So your party with no druids finds a Staff of the Woodlands; most of the party will turn their nose up and continue to use their silver weapons, but the Monk can say "Magic staff? Awsome! I will carry it right next to my magic club"

On the other hand if the DM makes sure his GWM/PAM gets a Vorpal Glaive then a Monk is going to be a lot weaker comparatively and it is a lot harder to give the Monk a weapon of comparable overall power in his hands.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
I think it depends on the DM.

If the DM randomly determines magic items Monks are better than most classes. In this case many of the OP whiteroom builds in particular (bladesinger or PAM/GWM martial) will be severely nerfed by the lack of that one or two weapons they can use with their abilities. They will still be using mostly nonmagic weapons at level 15 or they will be using magic weapons that are far less than ideal for their build. So your party with no druids finds a Staff of the Woodlands; most of the party will turn their nose up and continue to use their silver weapons, but the Monk can say "Magic staff? Awsome! I will carry it right next to my magic club"

On the other hand if the DM makes sure his GWM/PAM gets a Vorpal Glaive then a Monk is going to be a lot weaker comparatively and it is a lot harder to give the Monk a weapon of comparable overall power in his hands.
This is mostly because feats are unbalanced and favors full casters and two-handed/ranged users more than every other archetype.

Magic items are poorly implemented in 5e to begin with. Trying to keep the same style mechanical impact from past edition for legacy reasons leads to massive swings in impact.
It did take them a long time to add additional items that were directly more impactful for monks than other classes.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases