Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

dave2008

Legend
I just noticed how "legendary" is in the top bar of the stat block. I really like this and really all the information in this bar. I may have to adopt something like this for my creations!

1627663319729.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
Wow, dragons take up 84 pages!
  • dragon lich (template)
  • chromatic dragons
  • essence dragons
  • gem dragons
  • metallic dragons
(plus another 3 pages for dragon turtle, if you're counting that)

We've laid out 251 pages of the monster book so far. It's going to be a really big book.

Pick one dragon. First come, first served.
One of the essence dragons. Pick one (I don't have the dragonborn playtest open so I can't remember their names).

Faolyn

(she/her)
Darn! Missed that post. I thought the black dragon was just a sample.

Ah well. I really like how you handled these dragons by making them the death- and history-obsessed ones. They're definitely not just swamp monsters anymore! I very much like the Spellcaster section. It keeps the old-style idea of dragons getting magic as they age without going overboard.

So, a dragon can grapple a bitten target ('bout time they got this ability!) and then use its Acid Spit on them? Ouch.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's good, but I would REALLY like the CR 9 to also have legendary actions......if they are fought as solos, the action economy is just too much for them, imo. There is so much a dragon could/should do, I'd like them to have a lot more options, even at adult size.

dave2008

Legend
It's good, but I would REALLY like the CR 9 to also have legendary actions......if they are fought as solos, the action economy is just too much for them, imo. There is so much a dragon could/should do, I'd like them to have a lot more options, even at adult size.
IMO, no dragon below an adult should be considered a solo. Personally I pretty much only use ancient and older dragons.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
IMO, no dragon below an adult should be considered a solo. Personally I pretty much only use ancient and older dragons.
People fight all kinds of monsters as solos. Ogres, giants, dragons, all kinds. I get not everyone agrees with me.... I'd like more options. The lower level dragons.... Are they actually different than the MM much? If not, why include them?

Remove ads