• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

dave2008

Legend
I just noticed how "legendary" is in the top bar of the stat block. I really like this and really all the information in this bar. I may have to adopt something like this for my creations!

1627663319729.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
Wow, dragons take up 84 pages!
  • dragon lich (template)
  • chromatic dragons
  • essence dragons
  • gem dragons
  • metallic dragons
(plus another 3 pages for dragon turtle, if you're counting that)

We've laid out 251 pages of the monster book so far. It's going to be a really big book.

Pick one dragon. First come, first served.
One of the essence dragons. Pick one (I don't have the dragonborn playtest open so I can't remember their names).

Faolyn

(she/her)
Darn! Missed that post. I thought the black dragon was just a sample.

Ah well. I really like how you handled these dragons by making them the death- and history-obsessed ones. They're definitely not just swamp monsters anymore! I very much like the Spellcaster section. It keeps the old-style idea of dragons getting magic as they age without going overboard.

So, a dragon can grapple a bitten target ('bout time they got this ability!) and then use its Acid Spit on them? Ouch.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
It's good, but I would REALLY like the CR 9 to also have legendary actions......if they are fought as solos, the action economy is just too much for them, imo. There is so much a dragon could/should do, I'd like them to have a lot more options, even at adult size.

dave2008

Legend
It's good, but I would REALLY like the CR 9 to also have legendary actions......if they are fought as solos, the action economy is just too much for them, imo. There is so much a dragon could/should do, I'd like them to have a lot more options, even at adult size.
IMO, no dragon below an adult should be considered a solo. Personally I pretty much only use ancient and older dragons.

Zaukrie

New Publisher
IMO, no dragon below an adult should be considered a solo. Personally I pretty much only use ancient and older dragons.
People fight all kinds of monsters as solos. Ogres, giants, dragons, all kinds. I get not everyone agrees with me.... I'd like more options. The lower level dragons.... Are they actually different than the MM much? If not, why include them?

Remove ads