Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
From time to time I'll drop a monster preview into this thread. These are initial layout drafts of the Monstrous Menagerie, and layout may be tweaked before final release, but not drastically. The first one will be in the next post (note the margin markers and header to help you navigate the book!)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
'A' is for Aboleth.

aboleth.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-05-03 at 6.52.29 PM.png

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
Looks nice! If they are known for working with merfolk, I guess LU's merfolk will have a darker side to them? Or did you mean merrow?

Looking forward to more monsters!

Sacrosanct

Legend
I know some people have criticized the green color, but I really like it. I also like how there is tons of flavor text there, including breakdowns by suggested encounters and CR lore. I think that would be a great help to a lot of DMs out there.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
I love how so many of the signs & motives are easy ways to give a random aboleth something it considers more important than starting a fight with random adventurers. Leaving it with a sting for overusing legendary resistance is a nice touch as well since burning all of those abilities against legendary resistance at least something useful came out of that resource expenditure

Faolyn

(she/her)
So I, of course, have questions, now that I've taken a second look and compared it to the o5e version...

You've changed Enslave from 3/day, DC 14, to practically at-will, because it's a Legendary, to DC 16. That's going to increase the size of the aboleth's retinue of thralls by a lot. This isn't a bad thing, mind, just a thing I noticed.

I do wish you had made Thrall into a template, although it isn't shouldn't be too hard to reverse-engineer it. I like templates.

The Sea Change disease can only be reversed by a disease-removing spell of 4th level or higher. Does this mean other effects--such as the adept's ability to remove disease, or a magic item of disease-B-gone--also don't work, because it's not a spell?

I can't tell if this is the entirety of the aboleth entry, but what you've shown us lacks the lair actions of 05e's aboleth. Are you doing away with the aboleth's lair actions, or is it on the next page?

(Speaking of which, considering each entry seems to have a lot more info in it, what with the Legends & Lore, Encounters, Signs, and Behaviors, do you have an estimated page count for your MM?)

I will say I'm not a huge fan of your treasure tables. Obviously, I can ignore them at substitute my own treasure, but it's a weird image, that every aboleth encounter will result in a periapt of health. (<Old Lady Voice> "In my day, aboleths had Treasure Type F, with its 10% chance of 3k-18k silver pieces and so forth, and we liked it like that!" </OLV>)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Looks nice! If they are known for working with merfolk, I guess LU's merfolk will have a darker side to them? Or did you mean merrow?

Looking forward to more monsters!
Could be a misdirect, do history check facts always have to be accurate?
afterall Dealings with Merfolk could mean that Aboleth regularly dominate Merfolk

Remove ads