• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) Monster preview thread!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Is this a general "you" or directed at Darkwynters specifically? If general, intellect devourer. And that's me saying that, not an eldritch monstrosity that ate my brain and is now using my body as a puppet. Ha ha, that would be ludicrous.
Darkwynters specifically for making the observation!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Very well. I is for .... Intellect Devourer!

Screen Shot 2021-08-03 at 10.11.33 AM.png

Faolyn

(she/her)
I must say this one perplexes me somewhat. This is a higher CR the MM version, yet doesn't have multiattack. Also, it doesn't have the iconic feature of actually devouring our intellect. Though I really like Ego whip. Just a bit of an odd ball mechanic-wise
The Int loss is kind of an insta-kill, which is pretty horrible for a CR 2 creature. (O5e has next to no CR adjustments for creatures that produce effects other than damage.)

dave2008

Legend
The Int loss is kind of an insta-kill, which is pretty horrible for a CR 2 creature. (O5e has next to no CR adjustments for creatures that produce effects other than damage.)
However, this versions doesn't it all, it just has damage. Additionally, though I haven't run the numbers 14 DPR seems low for a CR 3 monster.

I think it at least needs the multiattack action and I would have liked to see a less istun-lock version of devour intellect.

EDIT: I could see a simple edit to Ego Whip to add something like devour intellect. On going psychic damage, end on save at end of turn?

Darkwynters

Explorer
CR 10… “So the party finds a love note from the king to his mistress… oh no one knows he is having an affair, so that corpse with a hole in his head… must have been a courier.”

Remove ads