D&D 5E Mythic Odysseys of Theros on DNDBeyhond

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Yup, like I said, it's a great concept......of course, you could just give them twice as many hit points. And, I appreciate the 4e words :)
I disagree. Giving them twice the hit points would feel completely different and seriously detract from the fun. After the transformation, it’s like a new, harder, fight with no rest in between. That’s very different from just a longer fight.

I agree they coulda done more, like give the mythic an aura that activates after it transforms, or more stuff like the krakens hearts where you have to target specific things to kill the creature, etc, but I think it’s off base to say it’s the same as doubling the HP.

doctorbadwolf

However, I am sure that DNDBeyond, Roll20, and Fantasy Grounds are booming right now - due to DMs buying content.
Not just DMs. Not all groups, and I’d wager not even a strong majority, have someone in the group with a master subscription. A lot of players also don’t have a single stable group, but rather a few groups or an online community pool of players and DMs to build games with.

darjr

I crit!
Also there is a chance that the monster won’t go mythic. So the players do have a moment where they may not be sure. Will they? Won’t they?

dave2008

Legend
I’d definitely give that a look. Especially if it also updated things like Fey and vampires and werewolves.

And Strahd, maybe?
It only updated monsters with legendary actions (since that is what mythic actions key off of). It is more difficult to add mythic traits / actions to non-legendary monsters, but I'm working on it

doctorbadwolf

It doesn't. You can see most of the entire book in the full preview.
It only updated monsters with legendary actions (since that is what mythic actions key off of). It is more difficult to add mythic traits / actions to non-legendary monsters, but I'm working on it
I wasn’t referring to the dmsguild product. I was replying directly to the idea of a new product that reviews and fixes those expansions, and suggesting that it’s be cool if such a product took the idea further than the existing product does.

dave2008

Legend
I wasn’t referring to the dmsguild product. I was replying directly to the idea of a new product that reviews and fixes those expansions, and suggesting that it’s be cool if such a product took the idea further than the existing product does.
OK, the hypothetical product I talked about? If so, I started the 5e Mythic Monster Updates to do just that. I just don't have a lot of time to work on it at the moment. I think I will call monsters that aren't really "mythic" paragon and use a watered down version of the mythic rules. I can definitely add werewolves and vampires to that list.

Last edited:

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Legit question: do people who ONLY play and NEVER DM actually buy anything? I’ve DMed for maybe 100 players over the past three years and the ones that never DM themselves for the most part spend no money on D&D. Occasionally they might get a Heroforge mini of their character or buy a D&D-related gift for the DM, or some dice, but that’s about it. I’ve literally never known any to have bought one of the books.
Most of my adult players buy a PHB, and maybe a XGE. My college age players - well there's a reason I have 2 PHBs. They use the extra.

Remove ads