WotC New D&D survey from WotC

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
To be fair, just because you can play Frankensteined D&D doesn't really make them entirely compatible. I mean, I made a game that my group played very wonderful games for an entire decade that was a mash-up of 2e D&D and Call of Cthulhu - but I wouldn't call those two games compatible.

That said, I am now entirely convinced that 2e and 1e were not hard to mix, even if my group never did it.

And yet I still maintain that I believe that any new D&D for the foreseeable future will still count as 5e (with new swap-out options), and not 5.5 or 6e.
I would be inclined to agree with you. The current mode is working sales wise, why slaughter the goose that is laying golden eggs.

Ixal

Hero
I would be inclined to agree with you. The current mode is working sales wise, why slaughter the goose that is laying golden eggs.
It depends on how many eggs the goose has left.
In my opinion there isn't much left for 5E to publish, considering that they already did several books with variant rules and are probably running out of them by now.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
It depends on how many eggs the goose has left.
In my opinion there isn't much left for 5E to publish, considering that they already did several books with variant rules and are probably running out of them by now.
Not in comparison to the 3e/4e eras. There are what 2 additional player facing rules expansions since the PHB in this edition, there were more than a dozen in 4e alone. There is certainly more room for lore books like Mordenkainen's, on these forums alone there are people screaming out for Planescape, Selljammer, Greyhawk, Darksun, Dragonlance. Throw in a adventure path for each of them and a couple of player facing books to consolidate the setting specific subclasses for a general audience and there is enough material for the next 5 years, or more, at current rate of publication.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
Not in comparison to the 3e/4e eras. There are what 2 additional player facing rules expansions since the PHB in this edition, there were more than a dozen in 4e alone. There is certainly more room for lore books like Mordenkainen's, on these forums alone there are people screaming out for Planescape, Selljammer, Greyhawk, Darksun, Dragonlance. Throw in a adventure path for each of them and a couple of player facing books to consolidate the setting specific subclasses for a general audience and there is enough material for the next 5 years, or more, at current rate of publication.
plus they can always make new settings from scratch.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
I know very little about how MtG works, but would it be possible to make a version/edition/whatever that tweaks the rules to make it feel more familiar for D&D players?

Ixal

Hero
plus they can always make new settings from scratch.
I doubt that settings will sell as well as previous books as setting specific stuff will only be interesting to the players of this setting.
I know very little about how MtG works, but would it be possible to make a version/edition/whatever that tweaks the rules to make it feel more familiar for D&D players?
Not really. The magic system in D&D and Magic is fundamentally different so I do not think tweaks are enough to make them even remotely similar.

darjr

I crit!
Players handbook is 121 out of all books on Amazon and the new book, two days before release is 40 out of all books on Amazon. The first golden egg continues to yield gold. It’s like it hatched a golden goose that hatched a further golden goose all three laying golden eggs.

WotC hasn’t even gotten a little bit experimental, unless maybe you count the magic setting books, but those keep being huge successes, so kinda way past experiment stage.

I mean they still haven’t done a 5e based game like Starfrontiers 5e or something. And the movie JUST started filming. Then there is the Critical Role series, and the D&D tv series (two of them?).

Remove ads