EN World New GMs, players, read the first post in this thread! (updated 5/21)

Jerrand Redband

First Post
You are right

Graf said:
So are you offering to start a game where people rotate as DMs?
-Generally- speaking it's not a bad idea to start PbP as a player. DMing can sometimes be a bit confusing.

Your right i have been following some adventure threads and they look a little confusing
i would like to play but i have a one shot adventure ready now and based around the pbp format: basicly a straight forward mission that shouldn't take long even if everyone posts alittle slow it would be 1st lvl characters only. i can post everyday and check everyday if
i can get four people interested i ll try my hand at recruitment.

Leif

Adventurer
Jerrand Redband said:
Your right i have been following some adventure threads and they look a little confusing
i would like to play but i have a one shot adventure ready now and based around the pbp format: basicly a straight forward mission that shouldn't take long even if everyone posts alittle slow it would be 1st lvl characters only. i can post everyday and check everyday if
i can get four people interested i ll try my hand at recruitment.
I'd be interested, but the only problem that I see is that I've only been doing pbp for just a little over a year, so I'm not sure how much help I would be to you. Still, I'm interested, if you need a wizard. :)

I will give you this much advice: the way games usually start here is by the dm opening a recruiting thread, telling a little about the game, and seeking interest in that way.

Jerrand Redband

First Post
[B] The lost Son [/B]

O.k that' s two interested 50% of a group so I'm going to try this (wish me luck)

System being used: D&D 3.5 (core books/ SRD only) becasue I' m learning about En World want to keep everything as close to their rules as possible

: http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=225297

Recruiting ends 3 days after fourth character joins group Date: pending

Setting: generic

The players will all start at the same inn/tavern play will begin there they can have any reason for being there (traveling, looking for work, live close by etc) The inn is located in a small village not far from the great city. They can interact with each other or NPC's if they wish.

Die rolls will be handled by each player since invisible castle doesn' t like my computer.

any questions e-mail me at jcb2772@rock.com

looking forward to finally playing by post

edit here's the link for the ooc thread thanks leif

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=225378

Last edited:

Leif

Adventurer
Also, you might want to start an OUT-OF-CHARACTER (OOC) thread for players to ask questions about the game. Like, for instance, do we have to submit characters to LEW, or just use their point-buy and other rules?

EvolutionKB

First Post
Heya all, looking to start DMing(4E) on here and want some advice on mapping systems and such. What does everybody use on here that is cheap/easy for a novice PbP DM?

Graf

Explorer
EvolutionKB said:
Heya all, looking to start DMing(4E) on here and want some advice on mapping systems and such. What does everybody use on here that is cheap/easy for a novice PbP DM?
I'm actually pretty interested in this answer too. Especially how s@s does it... since his (or her) maps are so pretty.

Leif

Adventurer
Graph Paper

I don't think you can get any more cost effective than a Microsoft XL spreadsheet. Just adjust the size of the cells until they are as close to square as you can get them, and VOILA! You have a sheet of graph paper. For more specifics on this, ask EnWorlder Scotley, he's the one who taught me.

Arkhandus

First Post
For online use, you could probably use a program like Dundjinni or similar to make maps. Or just do like me, the cheapskate way, and waste some time making square grids in the default Paint program of Windows. Then add stuff as needed to that template after saving the template separately. That's what I did when making maps for shipboard or ship-to-ship combat in my Adventures of the S.S. Fortuna campaign on OpenRPG a few years ago.

Host the images on something like Photobucket or whatever, I guess, or on a personal webpage, if necessary. Add as attachments or links in the relevant PbP posts.

MINI

First Post
IHS Play By Post Recruiting

Note: After reviewing the rules of the boards I did not see any objections to posting recruitment for off server activities, but if this does infringe with your rules please delete this post. Thanks in advance.

Introduction --

"The gods used to call this place crater valley" he whispers so the gods might not hear. The bard, Heudwin proceeds with his tale in a quiet, clandestine voice. ""Much like the icy lands to the north this place was all of ice and snow until after the coming of Gilfus. The Dark Lord (he refuses to utter Keanahu's name) bred his filthy minions in these lands. It is hard to imagine any life being sprung up in such a forbidding place, if you even call it life" he stops for a moment of quiet and continues after a puff or two of his corn pipe. "This place, it changed after Gilfus came. He had Milhandor shine his warm light upon it to force out what was left of demon younglings. That warmth melted the ice that was in the great crater, but Gilfus wished to cleanse this area; to make it safe for his creations to walk here. He summoned great earthquakes and meteors from the sky to rain down into the crater, filling it with vast amounts of earth. The great white abyss that had been was now a leveled land of rich soil and bountiful woods centuries later. These stories I know. “He lays his tale out convincingly.

"You see it all makes sense. Now there are vast mineral deposits of mostly iron in this place that your crew has been mining. These mines were first discovered by your Urskan fellows. Those great bear men have lived in this place for centuries, even avoiding the demons that used to live her and surviving in secret caves in the face f the Dark Lord. They hold the heritage of this tale. The Urskans can validate everything I say, for among other things I am an Urskan scholar" the Urskan bard assures you.

"Now it is of recent state that you went down into the mines after missing miners with a strange man called Devin. Devin has been a runner and a hand around here for years, maybe more years than the rest of us know. As your superiors have told me Devin traveled with you, testing your company by having them face a great goblin Bear and a silent killing spider all at once. Devin then followed you on a suspicious hunt for miners who had been lost deep within these mines. You found an altar as well as fought some unholy warriors of the Dark Lord. It was at this place after claim to have found a most unholy book hidden within this altar that Devin rushed forth and sacrificed himself to his long lost master by grasping the book and willing giving a life he felt was worthless because he owed it to his lord in that book. This is what you are telling me?" he asks.

All of you sit around the Urskan bard as he tells his seemingly tall tale about the beginnings of the world and the history of his people as a persecuted race of slaves serving under demons or hiding from them as rebels; those who escaped the bondage of slavery. A fire crackles nearby as someone adds wood to it and stirs the flames. You look upon the Urskan bard who weaves a tale for you just before bed. It is a tale of old; a tale renewed and one you might not soon forget...

Game Type -- This will be DnD 3.5 PbP using invisiblecastle.com fr some die rolling. In addition each player will have a text based sheet of there character for Pbp purposes and an alternate character profiler sheet of there character usable only for real time games on OpenRPG. The real time games are strictly for extra fun and will not interfere with the progress of the PbP.

Game Story Explanation -- The characters are the heroes of a now famous mercenary company named after a swashbucklers pirate ship, The Mignor.
Application Process -- To begin make a character with a good concept. Avoid tweaked characters please and provide a full page background or more is preferred. The PbP boards have a list of questions to address on background.

Character Creation --

The Basic Creation Information

Ice Horn Seas provides random and private games that follow the set creation rules:

1) Abilities: Old characters from real time games keep current scores. New characters use 32 point buy.

2) Starting level is FOURTH at 6000 XP and 5400 gp to buy equipment.

3) Allowed Books: PHB, DMG, PHBII, Unearthed Arcana (by permission and item only), Complete Books, Expanded Psionics, Races Series (wild stone, dragon), Tome of Battle:BoNS, Complete Adventurer.

Bloodlines & Paragon Classes

Two sets of rules, both well-balanced and both from the SRD.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/bloodlines.htm

Bloodlines - the ability to give your character some of the feel of a monstrous race without the need for a template or level adjustment. Bloodlines give abilities as you gain levels, avoiding the issues of both early glass jaw and early power accumulation of level-adjusted races. It's a neat rule, and one I've used often.

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/ra...agonClasses.htm

Racial Paragon Classes - While bloodlines give your character the feel of a supernatural being, racial paragon classes give your character the feel of being the embodiment of his base race. They're three-level classes and balance well with the rest of the system, and, again, are a rule I've used often in my own games.

4) Max HP for all dice.

5) Alignments: No evil. If you have an old alignment from the real time game change it over to a regular non evil DnD alignment.

9) Please observe all house rules.

10) The text node sheet is the only acceptable character sheet for the game.

11) Regular character sheet updates must posted as a reply to your character thread in The Mignor Company so that we have a running record of every sheet you have had and every change made to your sheet.

12) Unlike the old campaign we are no longer using the Death & Dying rules. WE will use the standard -10 hp and your dead.

Ice Horn Seas uses Porthia, a home brew game world. The world offers several new classes, deities and races. Check out the rest of this board.

There may be real time games in tandem with the play by post. More will be explained on how this will work but teh basic idea is that its nice to meet in real time and have some games if possible as well. Less importance will be placed on these real time games as they are strictly for fun only. It will not hinder your character development compared to others. Game times are random and posted on these boards in advance. Ice Horn Seas uses a pool of players (from the PbP ranks) and characters so attending every session is not required. Game when and as much as you can. Creation uses the the rules on this board and characters can be submitted to The Mignor Company. If your new or don't have a players handbook see http:/www.d20srd.org/ for more game information.

Game Pace -- You can post daily or once every 2-3 days based on DM guidelines in each post.

See you at the game!

Scotley

Hero
D&D 3.5 Core

Seeking a replacement player for Scotley's Tomb of Horrors. Set in Greyhawk using the revised Tomb of Horrors and Saltmarsh. The game is just getting underway and we've lost our party cleric. We need a replacement to either take over Logan Lightbringer Cleric of Pelor or bring in a new character with some ability as a healer. A Druid and a Paladin are already part of the group so a cleric or maybe a bard would be preferable. Starting at 9th level. Details can be found here:

http://www.enworld.org/showthread.php?t=221191

Remove ads