New Kelvin Timeline Star Trek film goes into production late 2022

MGibster

Legend
Definitely. Even from just a military standpoint you can't have the story of the lone ship patrolling "the marches", out of easy support range, in which the captain has to make huge decisions about a foreign power.
Into the Darkness established that Star Fleet is not a military organization. As preposterous as that might sound. So we can't have any military stories. (This is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post.)

Mort

Legend
Supporter
Definitely. Even from just a military standpoint you can't have the story of the lone ship patrolling "the marches", out of easy support range, in which the captain has to make huge decisions about a foreign power.
Sure you can. You just ignore the technology casually invented during the movie/episode actually exists.

I mean, if you ACTUALLY stood by the stuff invented during various episodes/movies - humans would be immortal and there would be no disease. Yet they never seem to remember that!

Ryujin

Legend
Into the Darkness established that Star Fleet is not a military organization. As preposterous as that might sound. So we can't have any military stories. (This is a somewhat tongue-in-cheek post.)
Noted :ROFLMAO:

From the beginning they've been more of a paramilitary organization, in which the lines of duties are blurred. Exploration, first contact, and defence all fall within their purview. Sort of like if Magellan also defended his country, while mapping the world. Maybe if he was a captain in the Coast Guard, but traveled well outside territorial waters?

Mort

Legend
Supporter

From the beginning they've been more of a paramilitary organization, in which the lines of duties are blurred. Exploration, first contact, and defence all fall within their purview. Sort of like if Magellan also defended his country, while mapping the world. Maybe if he was a captain in the Coast Guard, but traveled well outside territorial waters?

I've read some great books that link the West's massive scientific revolution with it's propensity to link exploration with military expansion. So as models go, it's not actually a bad one!

Of course, the whole, we are a peaceful exploratory organization that JUST HAPPENS to also be massively well armed and armored (and seriously, even sickbay tends to just have phasers just lying in drawers for people to grab and shoot) is a real interesting way to go!

MGibster

Legend

The United States Coast Guard is one of the five (six with Space Force I guess) branches of the US Armed Forces. Sailors in the USCG are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice just as marines and soldiers are. Personally, I'm of the mind that if your organization carries out the same functions and duties as a military then it's a military. It's especially incredulous when hearing such beliefs coming from the crewmembers aboard a heavily armed ship of the line.

Mallus

Legend
Sure you can. You just ignore the technology casually invented during the movie/episode actually exists.

I mean, if you ACTUALLY stood by the stuff invented during various episodes/movies - humans would be immortal and there would be no disease. Yet they never seem to remember that!
Two words: Genesis torpedos.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
The United States Coast Guard is one of the five (six with Space Force I guess) branches of the US Armed Forces. Sailors in the USCG are subject to the Uniform Code of Military Justice just as marines and soldiers are. Personally, I'm of the mind that if your organization carries out the same functions and duties as a military then it's a military. It's especially incredulous when hearing such beliefs coming from the crewmembers aboard a heavily armed ship of the line.

Considering the captain of the ship in, the Kelvin timeline, got the post after having left the Brig, when he wasn't even an actually commissioned member of the crew - and it's barely even brought up addressed? They're playing just a bit fast and loose with any of those rules!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I realize that everyone is enjoying giving the Kelvin franchise a hard time (and I agree with some of the criticisms), but I think it might be kind of important to remember just how dire the Star Trek movie franchise has been.

C'mon. Let's review.

1. The TOS Movies.
This was the series that was so inconsistent that people came up with the "Even Movie Rule." Remember? Even movies are good, odd movies suck.

There were six movies- one of them is best Star Trek movie ever (II). One is a good movie and a great love letter to the old cast (VI). One is a fun movie for the time (IV).

On the other hand, one was a total misfire at the time that, with age has gotten a critical re-evaluation to "not as bad as you thought." (The Motion Picture). One is decidedly inessential and is somewhere between "meh" and "not that great." (III).

And one is arguably the worst thing Star Trek has ever done. And I've seen Tom Paris turned into a salamander. (V).

2. The TNG Movies.
Ouch.

There's one good movie (First Contact- did you have to ask?). There's one bad movie (the one that you remember as "something something Kirk died"). And there's two movies that somehow manage to be both bad and so screamingly inessential that you don't remember what they were about, do you? Romulans, or clones, or F. Murray Abraham? Who knows?

So, yeah, in comparison the Kelvin movies aren't that bad. The first one was fun- I watched it in the theater with people who don't watch Star Trek, and they had a good time. The second? Okay, that was decidedly mediocre. The third was probably the best one (IMO). All of them had some issues, but that's the case with every ... single ... Trek movie ever.

Final Rankings of all Trek Movies-

1. KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!
2. Star Trek Beyond
3. Star Trek VI- We Are Too Old For This Sh... Stuff
4. First Contact with the Hot Borg Queen
5. Star Trek (2009- First Kelvin)
6. Star Trek IV- Whales are Cool, the 80s are Funny
7. Star Trek: The Slow Motion Picture
8. Star Trek Into Darkness with the Benedict Cumberkhaaaaaaaan!
9. Star Trek III- You knew we weren't killing off Spock, Right?
10. Star Trek Generations of TOS and TNG fans annoyed you crossed the streams
11. Getting into a conversation with a Star Wars Fan about the recent Star Wars trilogy.
12. Whatever those other two movies were in the TNG franchise.
13. Removing all of your fingernails and toenails with an icepick.
14. Star Trek V- The Final Frontier of Shatner's Ego

MGibster

Legend
Considering the captain of the ship in, the Kelvin timeline, got the post after having left the Brig, when he wasn't even an actually commissioned member of the crew - and it's barely even brought up addressed? They're playing just a bit fast and loose with any of those rules!
That's fair and another reason I didn't like the first movie very much. It's too bad because I thought all the actors nailed their parts.

Remove ads