New Kelvin Timeline Star Trek film goes into production late 2022

Mallus

Legend
And the introduction of interstellar transporters doesn't help.
Yeah. Benedict Cumberkhan didn't need to be Gary Seven, too.

The frustrating thing about the Kelvin movies, and Into Darkness in particular, is they could been better films with a few minor changes. I mean, Into Darkness has at its core some serious, topical, ham-fisted political commentary -- about the threat of rising militarism in the wake of a terrorist attack -- that honors the spirit of TOS.

Ryujin

Legend
Yeah. Benedict Cumberkhan didn't need to be Gary Seven, too.

The frustrating thing about the Kelvin movies, and Into Darkness in particular, is they could been better films with a few minor changes. I mean, Into Darkness has at its core some serious, topical, ham-fisted political commentary -- about the threat of rising militarism in the wake of a terrorist attack -- that honors the spirit of TOS.
... though not the execution.

Back when "Assignment: Earth" originally aired, I really wanted that Gary 7 series. The Star Trek episode was a stealth pilot for the series, but it didn't sell.

Mort

Legend
Supporter
And the introduction of interstellar transporters doesn't help.

Yeah, the introduction of technology that completely changes EVERYTHING (the second movie also had the casual introduction of technology so good that nothing would ever be the same) and then failing to even acknowledge that - blech!

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Yeah, the introduction of technology that completely changes EVERYTHING (the second movie also had the casual introduction of technology so good that nothing would ever be the same) and then failing to even acknowledge that - blech!
Classic TOS....as one episode they had tech that solved that episode's problems....then next episode that tech didn't exist.

But, ya, not a fan of the expansion of easy travel, as @Morrus says above, Trek is about exploration.

Ryujin

Legend
It makes for different types of stories.
Definitely. Even from just a military standpoint you can't have the story of the lone ship patrolling "the marches", out of easy support range, in which the captain has to make huge decisions about a foreign power.

Remove ads