No Longer an Interest Check - 5E Rise of Tiamat + Corebooks PBP - OOC

gargoyleking

Adventurer
I basically had him built, just shy of buying equipment and all. I suppose I can adjust to starting at level 1 assuming start with a suit of scale mail, AND a warhammer somehow. High starting gold maybe?

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Alright, here's my dwarven cleric so far. Will add the bio later (at work now).

@gargoyleking I suppose a connection between our two dwarves seems a logical fit. How do you feel about that?

Grimnir
CG hill dwarf sailor tempest cleric 1

char 2.jpg

Name: Grimnir Hammerdeep
Sex: male
Race: hill dwarf
Class/Level: cleric 1
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Size: Medium
Languages: Common, Dwarvish
Speed: 25ft.
Init: +0
Prof. Bonus: +2
Passive Perception: 16
Darkvision: 60ft.
Proficiencies: Light armor, medium armor, heavy armor, shields; simple weapons, martial weapons; Brewer’s supplies; Navigator’s tools, vehicles (water)

DEFENSE
AC:
18 (+6 armor, +2 shield)
HD: 1d8+2
Maximum HP: 11 (includes racial +1/level)
Current HP: 11
Saves: Wisdom +6, Charisma +2
Notes: Advantage on saving throws against poison, resistance against poison damage (Dwarven Resilience); can use Reaction to deal 2d8 lightning or thunder damage when hit with attack by creature within 5 feet, Dex save for half damage, 4/LR (Wrath of the Storm)

OFFENSE
Melee:
Warhammer +5 (1d8+3 bludgeoning; versatile 1d10)
Ranged: Light crossbow +2 (1d8 piercing; ammunition (range 80/320), loading, two-handed)
Magic Attack (melee): Inflict Wounds +6 (3d10 necrotic; range touch)
Magic Attack (ranged): Guiding Bolt +6 (4d6 radiant and the next attack roll against target until end of your next turn has advantage; range 120)
Note: Other magical attack not using attack rolls are listed under Magic, below.

STATISTICS
Str
16 (+3), Dex 11 (+0) , Con 14 (+2), Int 8 (-1), Wis* 18 (+4), Cha* 11 (+0)
RACIAL FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Hill Dwarf
Ability scores: Constitution +2, Wisdom +1
Speed: 25ft., not reduced by wearing heavy armor
Darkvision: 60ft.
Dwarven Resilience: Advantage on saving throws against poison, resistance against poison damage
Dwarven Combat Training: Proficient with battleaxe, handaxe, light hammer, warhammer
Tool Proficiency: Proficient with a choice of tools: Brewer’s Supplies
Stone Cunning: Intelligence (History) checks on the origin of stonework add double proficiency bonus
Dwarven Toughness: Hit point maximum increases by 1 for every level
Languages: Common, Dwarvish

BACKGROUND FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Sailor
Skill Proficiencies: Athletics, Perception
Tool Proficiencies: Navigator’s tools, vehicles (water)
Ship’s Passage: Can secure free passage on ships for self and allies in return for assistance to the crew.

CLASS FEATURES & PROFICIENCIES
Cleric (Tempest)
Armor and Weapon Proficiencies: Light and medium armor, heavy armor (domain), shields; simple weapons, martial weapons (domain)
Spellcasting: Can cast spells; see Magic, below.
Divine Domain: Tempest
Bonus Domain Proficiencies: Heavy armor, martial weapons
Domain Spells: Always prepared, do not count against number of spells you can prepare daily
. 1st: Fog Cloud, Thunderwave
Wrath of the Storm: 4/LR can use Reaction when a visible creature within 5 feet hits you with an attack, to deal that creature 2d8 lightning or thunder damage; Dex save for half damage

SKILLS (* Proficient)
+0 (dex) Acrobatics
+4 (wis) Animal Handling
-1 (int) Arcana
+5 (str) Athletics*
+0 (cha) Deception
-1 (int) History
+6 (wis) Insight*
+0 (cha) Intimidation
-1 (int) Investigation
+4 (wis) Medicine
-1 (int) Nature
+6 (wis) Perception*
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+1 (int) Religion*
+0 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+0 (dex) Stealth (disadvantage in armor)
+4 (wis) Survival
Spell Save DC: 14
Spell Attack: +6
Ritual Casting: Can cast a cleric spell as a ritual if that spell has the ritual tag and you have the spell prepared.

Cantrips (3): Mending, Sacred Flame, Spare The Dying
Spells Prepared (5+domain): Create Or Destroy Water, Cure Wounds, Fog Cloud (domain), Guiding Bolt, Healing Word, Inflict Wounds, Thunderwave (domain)
Spell Slots Used: Level 1: 0/2
CREATE OR DESTROY WATER
1st-level transmutation
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: 30 feet
Components: V, S, M (a drop of water if creating water or a few grains of sand if destroying it)
Duration: Instantaneous
You either create or destroy water.
Create Water. You create up to 10 gallons of clean water within range in an open container. Alternatively, the water falls as rain in a 30-foot cube within range, extinguishing exposed flames in the area.
Destroy Water. You destroy up to 10 gallons of water in an open container within range. Alternatively, you destroy fog in a 30-foot cube within range.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, you create or destroy 10 additional gallons of water, or the size of the cube increases by 5 feet, for each slot level above 1st.

CURE WOUNDS
1st-level evocation
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
A creature you touch regains a number of hit points equal to 1d8 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.

FOG CLOUD (Tempest domain)
1st-level conjuration
Range: 120 feet
Duration: Concentration, up to 1 hour
You create a 20-foot-radius sphere of fog centered on a point within range. The sphere spreads around corners, and its area is heavily obscured. It lasts for the duration or until a wind of moderate or greater speed (at least 10 miles per hour) disperses it.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the radius of the fog increases by 20 feet for each slot level above 1st.

GUIDING BOLT
1st-level evocation
Range: 120 feet
Duration: 1 round
A flash of light streaks toward a creature of your choice within range. Make a ranged spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 4d6 radiant damage, and the next attack roll made against this target before the end of your next turn has advantage, thanks to the mystical dim light glittering on the target until then.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

HEALING WORD
1st-level evocation
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: 60 feet
Components: V
A creature of your choice that you can see within range regains hit points equal to 1d4 + your spellcasting ability modifier. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the healing increases by 1d4 for each slot level above 1st.

INFLICT WOUNDS
1st-level necromancy
Make a melee spell attack against a creature you can reach. On a hit, the target takes 3d10 necrotic damage.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d10 for each slot level above 1st.

MENDING
Transmutation cantrip
Casting Time: 1 minute
Components: V, S, M (two lodestones)
This spell repairs a single break or tear in an object you touch, such as a broken chain link, two halves of a broken key, a torn cloak, or a leaking wineskin. As long as the break or tear is no larger than 1 foot in any dimension, you mend it, leaving no trace of the former damage. This spell can physically repair a magic item or construct, but the spell can't restore magic to such an object.

SACRED FLAME
Evocation cantrip
Range: 60 feet
Flame-like radiance descends on a creature that you can see within range. The target must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or take 1d8 radiant damage. The target gains no benefit from cover for this saving throw.
The spell's damage increases by 1d8 when you reach 5th level (2d8), 11th level (3d8), and 17th level (4d8).

SPARE THE DYING
Necromancy cantrip
You touch a living creature that has 0 hit points. The creature becomes stable. This spell has no effect on undead or constructs.

THUNDERWAVE (Tempest domain)
1st-level evocation
Range: Self (15-foot cube)
A wave of thunderous force sweeps out from you. Each creature in a 15-foot cube originating from you must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 2d8 thunder damage and is pushed 10 feet away from you. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and isn't pushed. In addition, unsecured objects that are completely within the area of effect are automatically pushed 10 feet away from you by the spell's effect, and the spell emits a thunderous boom audible out to 300 feet.
At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d8 for each slot level above 1st.
PHYSICAL APPEARANCE
He sports a long black beard, wears heavy armor and carries an impressive warhammer, but there are also a few things about the gold dwarf named Grimnir that people often find unusual: a brownish tan, darker than the shield dwarfs common to the Sword Coast; the two tentacles tattooed on his face proclaiming his allegiance to the Luskan house of Ship Kurth; and the symbol of dreaded Umberlee around his neck.

The sociable dwarf is eager to explain that he is descended from gold dwarves from far south, and that his goddess is indeed a dangerous and fickle deity of the seas and the depths, but she is also magnificent in her splendor and allows those who pay the proper respect to cross her domain with bountiful hauls of fish...

BIO
I was born on a ship somewhere on the Sea of Swords, my birth ushered in by a massive storm as my stubborn mother, captain of The Howling Hound, had refused to stop sailing during pregnancy. My father never told me the details, but I survived and she did not.

For decades that ship was my home as I grew up and became a member of the crew, part of the influential Ship Kurth from the northern harbor town of Luskan. Until a few years ago, when I forgot my customary sacrifice to Umberlee for safe travels at sea and the Queen of the Depths took down The Howling Hound and her entire crew into her unfathomable realm below the surface.

I should have drowned that day, and I am not convinced I didn't. Somehow I washed up on the shores of a tiny island, where before a passing ship rescued me I discovered that Umberlee had chosen me to become her servant. She had granted me magical powers over sea and storm, and warned me that only by her will did I continue to live.

You cannot imagine the terror that filled me as I realized that such a notoriously fickle and angry Goddess had claimed my soul, but in time I found that she is like the sea itself; cold and demanding one moment, forgiving and generous the next. If my job was to inform people that offering a thing of importance may hold off Umberlee's wrath and see the seas as I do, I could do a lot worse. And so I have provided my clerical services to various Kurth ships over the years, and appeased my Queen when all seemed lost.

Recently, however, I have been dreaming of drowning again, of being swallowed by cold deep waters along with all around me, and Umberlee forgive me but I cannot help but get as far away from the ocean as I can until her anger, whatever may have caused it, has died down again...

Personality Traits: I stretch the truth for the sake of a good story, but my friends know they can rely on me, no matter what.
Ideal: Freedom. The sea is freedom-the freedom to go anywhere and do anything. (Chaotic)
Bond: I'll always remember my first ship, and how Umberlee took it to her depths.
Flaw: People who can't take care of themselves get what they deserve.
COMBAT GEAR
Warhammer
Light crossbow and 20 bolts
Chain mail
Shield

OTHER GEAR
Holy symbol of Umberlee
Belaying pin (club)
50 feet of silk rope
Lucky charm (trinket): a pipe that blows bubbles
Set of common clothes
Pouch
Priest’s pack:
Backpack​
Blanket​
10 candles​
Tinderbox​
Alms box​
2 blocks of incence​
Cencer​
Vestments​
2 days of rations​
Waterskin​
From the Sailor background text; “A lucky charm such as a rabbit foot or a small stone with a hole in the center (or you may roll for a random trinket on the Trinkets table in chapter 5)”. Trinket: 1D100 = [19] = 19
19: A pipe that blows bubbles
MONEY
10 gp

Last edited:

JustinCase

Very true, and I'm considering Luskan as Grimnir's home. However, he's currently getting away from the sea as far as he can, which provides opportunities to meet somewhere on the road.

I'm not sure where we'll start, but for both of us the usual starting location of Greenest is pretty far away.

JustinCase

Alright, I added a bio to Grimnir in the post above. I'll add it here too, so @Envisioner can give feedback on it:

"I was born on a ship somewhere on the Sea of Swords, my birth ushered in by a massive storm as my stubborn mother, captain of The Howling Hound, had refused to stop sailing during pregnancy. My father never told me the details, but I survived and she did not.

For decades that ship was my home as I grew up and became a member of the crew, part of the influential Ship Kurth from the northern harbor town of Luskan. Until a few years ago, when I forgot my customary sacrifice to Umberlee for safe travels at sea and the Queen of the Depths took down The Howling Hound and her entire crew into her unfathomable realm below the surface.

I should have drowned that day, and I am not convinced I didn't. Somehow I washed up on the shores of a tiny island, where before a passing ship rescued me I discovered that Umberlee had chosen me to become her servant. She had granted me magical powers over sea and storm, and warned me that only by her will did I continue to live.

You cannot imagine the terror that filled me as I realized that such a notoriously fickle and angry Goddess had claimed my soul, but in time I found that she is like the sea itself; cold and demanding one moment, forgiving and generous the next. If my job was to inform people that offering a thing of importance may hold off Umberlee's wrath and see the seas as I do, I could do a lot worse. And so I have provided my clerical services to various Kurth ships over the years, and appeased my Queen when all seemed lost.

Recently, however, I have been dreaming of drowning again, of being swallowed by cold deep waters along with all around me, and Umberlee forgive me but I cannot help but get as far away from the ocean as I can until her anger, whatever may have caused it, has died down again..."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases