D&D 5E OAR #8

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I'm in the Kickstarter for 7. Think I'll pass on 6. I loved T1 back in the day, but when Elemental Evil finally came out it just didn't do it for me.
I was torn on 6 for the same reason and, once I got it, I'm still torn. Great to have T1, but man, unless you loved T1-4 back in the day, I don't see this book changing anyone's minds on it.

I just got an email hyping OAR 8 and I suspect I may be out after 7, unless Goodman buys out Judges Guild and republishes some more of that.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I was torn on 6 for the same reason and, once I got it, I'm still torn. Great to have T1, but man, unless you loved T1-4 back in the day, I don't see this book changing anyone's minds on it.

I just got an email hyping OAR 8 and I suspect I may be out after 7, unless Goodman buys out Judges Guild and republishes some more of that.
Same feelings. I got #6 when it was cheap a couple weeks ago, but tbh I'm not really a huge fan. So it's still in the wrap.

The one I lack now it Castle Amber... which also happens to be one that I actively disliked when I played through it way back when, I think because the DM wasn't very good (read: he was pretty awful). I haven't played it since and only read it through once. But of course, that gap between the "4" and the "6" on the shelf is kinda irritating.

So my consumer-minded completionism is in a race against my procrastination at this moment.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I am completely free of youthful associations with any of these (never even played in let alone cracked open an Adventure before Hoard of the Dragon Queen in 2014, all homebrew prior to that), and I've found all 6 really fascinating as historical documents.

Really given thought to putting Castle Amber in the Radiant Citadel framework, but backwards starting in the French-ish country and going into the Castle from there.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Same feelings. I got #6 when it was cheap a couple weeks ago, but tbh I'm not really a huge fan. So it's still in the wrap.

The one I lack now it Castle Amber... which also happens to be one that I actively disliked when I played through it way back when, I think because the DM wasn't very good (read: he was pretty awful). I haven't played it since and only read it through once. But of course, that gap between the "4" and the "6" on the shelf is kinda irritating.

So my consumer-minded completionism is in a race against my procrastination at this moment.
I'd run B2 lots before, and might have been through part of Barrier Peaks, but never any of the others. Got Amber because it was Moldvay and because it sounded interesting. (Hadn't realized he did Isle of Dread and Lost City until I looked them up).

I'm running Amber now and I think it would really benefit from a summary sheet of who each of the Ambers are and where they're at/likely to be, and where all the clues and needed objects are and what they're for. It also feels like it would be tough for someone inexperienced to run and make fun.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I'd run B2 lots before, and might have been through part of Barrier Peaks, but never any of the others. Got Amber because it was Moldvay and because it sounded interesting. (Hadn't realized he did Isle of Dread and Lost City until I looked them up).

I'm running Amber now and I think it would really benefit from a summary sheet of who each of the Ambers are and where they're at/likely to be, and where all the clues and needed objects are and what they're for. It also feels like it would be tough for someone inexperienced to run and make fun.
Big points for flavor and creativity, not so much for tight structure. Especially compared to those other Moldvay joints!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero

Yeah, it definitely needs a cheat sheet. I wonder if there's any kind of DM utility stuff for it on DMs Guild.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator

OAR 9 should be Caverns of Thracia or am I misremembering?

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator

Remove ads