Oathbound : Homecoming (full up)

nameless

First Post
I would love to play in this, if I can grab a spot. I have a billion and one character concepts, so I'll try and narrow them down for you. The one I've been obsessing about lately is the Were-Dire Bat (Human)/Rogue type. If that's no good, than I can go with another one, of course. *grin*

hafrogman

Adventurer
Tristan Eransiel

Half-Elven Male, Fighter 7

Size: M (5'1", 148 lbs.)
HD: 7d10 + 21
HP: 64
Initiative: +1
Speed: 30ft [20ft run x3]
AC: 22 (10 +9 armor +2 shield +1 dex)
ff: 21 t: 11
BAB: +7/+2
XP: 21,000 / 28,000 for level 8

Attacks:
Bastard Sword +1 (+11/+6 attack, 1d10+5 dmg, 19-20/x2, slashing)
Short Sword (+9/+4 attack, 1d6+2 dmg, 19-20/x2, piercing)
Gauntlet (+9/+4 attack, 1d3+2 dmg, 20/x2, bludgeoning, provokes AoO)
Javelin (+8/+3 attack, 1d6+2 dmg, 20/x2, piercing, 30ft range increment)

Alignment: NG
Saves: F: +9 R: +4 W: +7 [+2 vs enchantments]
Attributes:
Str:14, Dex:12, Con: 16, Int:14, Wis:14, Cha:13

Skills: (bonus/ranks)

climb* +2/5
diplomacy (cc) +5/2
gather information (cc) +5/2
heal (cc) +4/2
intimidate +4/3
listen (cc) +6/3
sense motive (cc) +4/2
search (cc) +5/2
spot (cc) +6/3

* armor check penalty -5 applied

Feats:

Endurance (1st)
Exotic Weapon Proficiency [Bastard Sword] (fighter bonus 1)
Weapon Focus [Bastard Sword] (fighter bonus 2)
Diehard (3rd)
Weapon Specialization [Bastard Sword] (fighter bonus 4]
Iron Will (6th)
Combat Expertise (fighter bonus 6)

Racial Abilities:

Immune to sleep
+2 save vs. enchantments
Low-Light Vision
+1 Listen, Search, Spot
+2 Diplomacy, Gather Information
Elven Blood

Class Abilities:

Bonus Feats

Languages:

Common
Elven
Dwarven
Orc

Equipment:

+1 Bastard Sword
Short Sword
Javelin (2)

+1 Full Plate Armor (armor check -5, Max Dex +1)
Heavy Mithral Shield (armor check -0)
Chain Shirt (armor check -2) (sleepwear) **

Cloak of Resistance +1
Heward's Handy Haversack (Items contained marked **)

Potion of CLW (2) #
Potion of Jump **
Potion of Shield of Faith (2) **
Silversheen **

bedroll
flint and steel #
belt pouch (items contained marked #)
trail rations(7) **
silk rope (50') **
waterskin **
whetstone **
sunrod (2) **
traveler's outifit
and spare **

310.38 gp

92.7lb / 116lb medium load

Description:

Tristan is a short, but solidly built young man with shoulder length black hair and piercing green eyes. He carries himself with dignity and confidence, going about whatever task he has set himself with quiet determination.

History:

Tristan is a second generation half-elf, the child of two half breeds. His parents had sought to follow their elven blood and lived amongst the elves, emulating their lifestyles and raising their only child after their fashion. However, as Tristan grew up, he grew discontent with the passive culture of the ageless. He left his home with little more than a handful of coins and an old sword strapped to his belt, heading out to experience life amongst the other half of his heritage. He found work among a mercenary company, serving as a common soldier. Over the next few years, Tristan fought in numerous battles and became an accomplished warrior, but he still felt unfullfilled. The bleak outlook of his fellow soldiers disheartened him as much as the blind arrogance of the elves had. Finally, he left the company and struck out on his own in order to find a destiny that more suited him.

edit: (3-27) used one potion of clw, removed

Attachments

• tristanfinal.jpg
    tristanfinal.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

nameless

First Post
At level 7, I won't have any rogue levels yet. And my concept is more of the dextrous "troubleshooter" than a fully capable rogue. And being a lycanthrope, you know I'm at least somewhat a fighter-type. So if you like, you can take the charismatic and intelligence-based skills, and I'll take the physical acrobatics, which is pretty much my whole schtick.

Or go with the full-blown Psion and just warp peoples' minds to suit our needs. =]

Kahuna Burger

First Post
nameless said:
I would love to play in this, if I can grab a spot. I have a billion and one character concepts, so I'll try and narrow them down for you. The one I've been obsessing about lately is the Were-Dire Bat (Human)/Rogue type. If that's no good, than I can go with another one, of course. *grin*

I am skeptical as to the existance of were dire bats... :eek: now I have to go look them up and see if I agree with the levels. Are you considering inherited or aquired lycanthropy? (if you also wantt o be a jedi with a cinder block, I will recognize you as the guy from my old pen and paper group and run... :p )

kahuna burger

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Some character responses...

Nameless - Sadly, based on the standard lycanthrope rules, I'm not comfortable with a were-dire-bat. Something about a potential 32 freaking dex at 7th level before any buffing just frightens me :eek: , and the flat 2 or 3 ecl plus racial levels doesn't seem to me to adress the difference in utility of animals with the same hit dice total. I would consider a were bat of the standard size, who would lose combat utility during shapechange but still gain serious scouting/spying advantages. (we would have to work out a hybrid form - size, hands vs wings, etc) I like bats myself and played an awakened one with druid levels briefly. ;)

hafrogman - seems pretty straightforward, though I must admit I was thrown by your chain mail pajamas... :p

ferretguy - well rounded, ought to work. Just so you know though since you are doign a partial paladin, I generally do not allow the use of detect evil as a personality test in my games - that is, the ability/spell detects supernatural or magical evil, not the evil intentions of mortal puppy kickers.

Looking forward to hearing from others. Meanwhile a little more of the flavor of the campaign start:

For as long as you can remember, two things have set you appart from others; one physical and one mental. The physical is easy enough to pin down - a strange tattoo inscribed on your left palm. The design is abstract, a collection of dots of different colors, one of which has light lines connecting it to all of the others. It has resisted wear, scrubbing, scarring and even the occasional burn and rather than stretching or fading with growth has remained consistent and vibrant. When you first thought that some of the dots had changed position you dismissed it as bad memory or stretching of the skin, but as the years passed it became more and more obvious that the dots were moving relative to each other, and that the 'main' dot moved position when you began journeying a significant distance. The distances involved were aparently great indeed, and it was a long time before you managed to find another young wanderer with the same tattoo...

The mental difference was not as obvious, and it took some of you many years to put your finger on the exact problem, depending on your level of introspection. In essance, there as always been the nagging feeling that life should be... well, more. Not just that you personally were meant for 'greater things' though that may have been there as well, but that the world itself was flat and lacking something. Tastes that others described as powerful or strange were as boring as gruel to you, music that brought strong men to tears was nice enough but not evocative. Danger was intellectually known but brought little thrill, and your search for expereinces that truely could make you feel the way you think you should be able to have lead others to both respect your courage and perhaps fear you a little. This striving has also brought you expereince and skills beyond your years, but rarely has it brought you the fullness of sensation that you crave.

Kahuna Burger

hafrogman

Adventurer
Kahuna Burger said:
hafrogman - seems pretty straightforward, though I must admit I was thrown by your chain mail pajamas... :p

Yeah, well when wearing heavy armor I've had one too many experiences with nightime raids that left me with the option of fighting with a 10 AC or spending 4 minutes saying "Hey, monsters! Hang on while I fix this strap"

so :p yourself

ferretguy

First Post
Well Kahuna....Detect Evil to me always did apply to the supernatural type stuff....most groups I've run with (excepting the pirate ship hunt one....)if you detect evil/hostile intent most dnd adventuring parties would overload the standard paladin leaving him quivering in a corner or at least wetting himself... :lol:

Kahuna Burger

First Post
ferretguy said:
Well Kahuna....Detect Evil to me always did apply to the supernatural type stuff....most groups I've run with (excepting the pirate ship hunt one....)if you detect evil/hostile intent most dnd adventuring parties would overload the standard paladin leaving him quivering in a corner or at least wetting himself... :lol:

*snicker* I know its not an unusual houserule, but some folks do assume the ability of a paladin to detect mundane alignment, so I wanted to get it out of the way.

Kahuna Burger

GPEKO

First Post
Alright, here's mine. I choose to be a little bit unusual by taking evocation as a prohibited school :eek: so, Wynter Wolf, feel free make heavy use of the destructive spells with your character.

Orillian of Forbach
Male Human Conjurer 7 (prohibited schools: evocation & necromancy)
Neutral
XP: 21000
Patron Deity: None

Str: 8 (0 points)
Dex: 14 (6 points)
Con: 14 (6 points)
Int: 18 (13 points, +1 lvl 4)
Wis: 12 (4 points)
Cha: 14 (6 points)

HP: 33 (7d4+14)
AC: 12 (+2 Dex) touch 12, flat-footed 10.
Init: +6 (+2 Dex, +4 Improved Initiative)
BAB: +3
Grap: +2
Speed 30 ft. (base 30, load light, no armor)

Fort: +5 (+2 base, +2 con, +1 cloak)
Ref: +5 (+2 base, +2 dex, +1 cloak)
Will: +7 (+5 base, +1 wis, +1 cloak)

Melee Attack: +2
Ranged Attack +5

Languages: Common, Draconic, Terran, Elven.

Skills (64 skill points)
+12 Concentration (10 ranks, +2 Con)
+9 Decipher Script (5 ranks, +4 Int)
+8 Diplomacy (4 cc ranks, +2 Cha, +2 synergy)
+14 Knowledge (arcana) (10 ranks, +4 Int)
+9 Knowledge (nobility & royalty) (5 ranks, +4 Int)
+12 Knowledge (planes) (8 ranks, +4 Int)
+6 Knowledge (religion) (2 ranks, +4 Int)
+5 Ride (3 cc ranks, +2 Dex)
+16 Spellcraft (10 ranks, +4 Int, +2 synergy)
+1(+3) Listen (+1 Wis, +2 Alertness if familiar within 5 ft.)
+1(+3) Spot (+1 Wis, +2 Alertness if familiar within 5 ft.)

Feats
Alertness (bonus if familiar is within 5 ft.)
Spell focus - conjuration (char 1)
Improved initiative (human bonus)
Scribe scroll (wiz 1)
Augmented summoning (char 3)
Extend spell (wiz 5)
Improved familiar (char 6)

Spells Prepared
DC: 14 + spell level (15 + spell level for conjuration spells)
0lvl – acid slash*, arcane mark, detect magic(x2), prestidigitation,
1st – charm person, feather fall, grease*, mage armor*, shield, unseen servant*,
2nd – hideous laughter, minor image, mirror image, summon monster II*, web*,
3rd – haste, stinking cloud*, summon monster III*(x2),
4th – charm monster, dimension door*, summon monster IV*.

Spellbook
0lvl – acid splash*, arcane mark, daze, detect magic, detect poison, ghost sound, mage hand, mending, message, open/close, prestidigitation, read magic, resistance.
1st – alarm, charm person, disguise self, endure elements, feather fall, grease*, mage armor*, shield, silent image, summon monster I*, unseen servant*,
2nd – acid arrow*, glitterdust*, hideous laughter, invisiblility, minor image, mirror image, summon monster II*, web*,
3rd – dispel magic, fly, haste, hold person, protection from energy, stinking cloud*, summon monster III*, tongues,
4th – charm monster, dimension door*, summon monster IV*.
* Conjuration spell

Bollo, Small earth elemental familiar
Small Elemental
Hit Dice: 7d8 (16 hit points)
Initiative: -1
Speed: 20 ft.
Armor Class: 21 (+1 size, -1 Dex, +11 natural), touch 10, flat footed 21
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+2
Attack: Slam +7 Melee (1d6+4)
Full Attack: Slam +7 Melee (1d6+4)
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Earth mastery, Push
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., earth glide, elemental traits, improved evasion, share spells, empathic link, deliver touch spell, speak with master.
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +1, Will +5
Abilities: Str 17, Dex 8, Con 13, Int 9, Wis 11, Cha 11
Skills: Listen +3, Spot +2
Feats: Power attack

Bollo speak Terran but rarely choose to do so.

Earth Mastery (Ex): Bollo gains a +1 bonus on attack and damage rolls if both it and its foe are touching the ground. If an opponent is airborne or waterborne, the elemental takes a –4 penalty on attack and damage rolls. (These modifiers are not included in the statistics block.)

Push (Ex): Bollo can start a bull rush maneuver without provoking an attack of opportunity. The combat modifiers given in Earth Mastery, above, also apply to the elemental’s opposed Strength checks.

Earth Glide (Ex): Bollo can glide through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other signs of its presence. A move earth spell cast on an area containing a burrowing earth elemental flings the elemental back 30 feet, stunning the creature for 1 round unless it succeeds on a DC 15 Fortitude save.

Bollo was summoned by Orillian to replace the raven familiar he lost in a fight with a terrible green dragon (see below). Bollo appears to be a chunk of granite roughly the form of a short humanoid. It has gruff manners and seems to deeply dislike serving Orillian (perhaps with good reasons…). Nevertheless, it’s loyal and follows the orders of its master without (much) complain.

Appearance
Height: 6'0" tall
Weight: 162 lbs
Hair: Light brown and short
Eyes: Light gray
Skin: Pale
Orillian loves to appear rich and usually wears some jewelry. He’s a tall, thin man. There always seems to be a smirk on his face.

Background
Many would say that Orillian was born with a silver spoon in his mouth and they would be quite right. He was the only child in a family both rich and part of the local aristocracy. So, as a young child, he never had to demand something for long before he had it. His tutor discovered that, in addition of being spoiled, he was actually quite gifted for understanding magical formulas. The problem was getting the easily distracted child to concentrate long enough to learn anything. His parents decided that another wizard in the family would be quite useful and they sent him to a nearby wizardry guild for training.

At the guild, there were no servants and a heavy discipline. Orillian had to work (terrible, isn’t it ?). It took some time but he eventually became focused enough to learn the complicated art that is wizardry. But deep down, he was still that lazy and spoiled brat. So, while most students preferred to blast stuff away with their magic missiles, his favorites were the conjuration spells. He loved nothing more than call on various creatures to do his chores.

Eventually, he left the guild and, to the despair of his family, founded what could be called an ‘adventuring party’ with other young and bored nobles. They were successful for a couple of years, amassing some riches and making a name for themselves (as if they needed either of these things…). This brilliant streak was cut short by a great green dragon the group stumbled upon. Only Orillian survived and that was because he fled.

After this disaster, the young mage returned to his family. His father found him a much calmer occupation as a city official taking care of magic regulations. Still a feeling remains, a feeling that he should do more, that he could influence more than this city, more than this world. Perhaps something will take him out of his early retirement …

Possessions
Worn
Light blue noble’s outfit (75 gp, 10 lb)
Cloak of resistance +1 (1000 gp)
Hand of the mage (a hand-shaped silver necklace, not the standard mummified version, a nicer looking one) (900 gp)
Non magical golden ring (50 gp)
Non magical golden bracelets (50 gp)
Signet ring (5 gp)
Leather scroll case (1 gp, 0.5 lb)
Backpack (2 gp, 2 lb)

In scroll case
10 blank sheets of paper (4 gp)
scroll of arcane lock (175 gp)
scroll of darkvision (150 gp)
scroll of expedious retreat (25 gp)
scroll of knock (150 gp)
scroll of summon monster V (1125 gp)

On belt
Jeweled dagger (mostly for ornamental purpose) (52 gp, 1 lb)
Tindertwigs (5) (5 gp)
Spell component’s pouch (5 gp, 2 lb)

Belt pouch (1 gp, 0.5 lb) containing
Pearl of power (1st level) (1000 gp)
Potions of cure moderate wounds (2) (600 gp)
10 pp, 50 gp and 8 sp in coins (1.5 lb)

In backpack
Spellbook (25 pages left) (3 lb)

In chest (carried by Bollo)
Chest (2 gp, 25 lb)
Spare noble’s outfit (red) (75 gp, 10 lb)
Sunrods (3) (6 gp, 3 lb)
Candles (5) (5 cp)
Sealing wax (1 gp, 1 lb)
Ink vial (8 gp)
Inkpen (1 sp)
Trail rations (for 8 days) (4 gp, 8 lb)
Waterskin (1 gp, 4 lb)
Fine bottle of wine (10 gp, 1.5 lb)
15 pp and 82 gp in coins (3 lb)

Weight carried: 20 lb
Carrying capacity: 26/53/80
Weight carried (Bollo): 54.5
Carrying capacity (Bollo): 65/130/195

Paid 150gp x spell level for extra spells in spellbook (100 gp per spellbook page, 50 gp per spell level to have access to the spell)
3 1st level spells: 3x1x150 = 450 gp
4 2nd level spells: 4x2x150 = 1200 gp
4 3rd level spells: 4x3x150 = 1800 gp
1 4th level spell: 1x4x150 = 600 gp
Total : 4050 gp.

Ouff ... this was more work than my usual warriors ... :D
KB, feel free to comment or correct.

Last edited:

Remove ads