Off to War - Duet (Jareth)

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth curses as he feels the ground shift. That idiot's stone-twisting is going to bring down the thrice-damned ravine walls! blares through his mind as he tries to stay upright and safe.

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
Jareth falls to his knees as the shaking gets worse. He quickly looks up to see the swordsman take advantage of the off balanced Treylor and he runs the man through. "What are you doing?" he asks the fur clad spellcaster.

"It isn't me," comes the responds as he to falls from the shaking.

Suddenly from behind Jareth there comes an ominous cracking sound. Still on all fours he looks back. From the center of the cave entrance a large crack is coming streching out towards him and he can't get his feet under him enough to get away.

And then the ground below Jareth drops away and the young warrior gasps as he hangs a moment from his longspear his feet dangle towards the darkness below. He watches as the swordsman clings to the side of the hole and then losses is grip and falls down swallowed by the lightless hole. You hear the sould of armor hitting rock and of swords clanging along before going silent.

"Hold on!" the fur clad man yells. Then he cast about and seeing the bowman yells "I need some rope, hurry!"

Jareth has enough strength to hang there but unfortunetly the longspear doesn't. The only warning is a small creak before it snaps in to and sends him following the swordsman down into the darkness.

Jareth braces for the impact and sets himself up to roll with it. Not being able to see the dark bottom he doesn't know it slopes downward, and he tumbles but doesn't stop. He slips off over the edge of the slope and lands hard wedge into a small area of rock that pins one arm and his leg.

The slope sent him down even further and he can't see the light from the hole that he fell through. He sits in the dark on the side of a cliff in a dark cave wedge in tight his legs dangling in the air is head grougy from the fall.

Last edited:

Dragonwriter

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
No offense HM, but the writing of that last post confused me a bit. I'm unclear on the results of the fall, specifically.

I get that I went down a slope, then off another edge, then landed somewhere and got pinned. But if it is pinning an arm and leg, how are my legs dangling in the air? And, what, did I roll off the edge, hit the other wall and get stuck there by the impact? :erm:
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
[sblock=OOC] ok it is hard to explain the wedge you are in sorry. Roll of a cliff and hit it from the back at an angle. So you are facing up, both legs are pinned around the thigh with your right arm. Your left arm landed across your chest and is free. Your legs are dangling from the knees down. To let you know this wedge is small. Guess I was exspecting a "Jareth shakes his head to get his bearings" post from you. My bad for the unclearness I was excited to send you down the hole. :p [/sblock]

Dragonwriter

First Post
Despite the inability to see, Jareth's vision spins in the pitch darkness. How? What happened? How far have I fallen? What the hell did I hit? are the first questions that come to mind, eyes blurry from the ringing blow to the skull. Why can't I see anything?

An attempt to move his right arm results in a sharp jab of pain. The pain brings a shot of clarity to his thoughts. "AH!" he cries out, realizing he can't afford to move, his eyes definitively open now. "Can't see... total dark. Need... light," he manages to gasp, voicing his thoughts and raising his left arm. With a twisting gesture of his secondary hand and more clarity-through-pain, he brings a few lights into the darkness, trying to see just what his situation is...

[sblock=OOC]
Okay, that boiled-down description helped. Getting right arm stuck with both legs, the legs caught at the thigh, is an extremely awkward position (and damned hard to get into intentionally, let alone accidentally)

Anyways, using a shot of Arcane Attunement to create Dancing Lights to shine like a torch.
[/sblock]

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
The magical lights show Jareth just how much trouble he is truly in. The dance up towards the cliff edge and he sees it is close but even if he were to be standing it would be a few feet out of reach. Sending them out and below he sees the other side of the chamber wall some thirty feet away and that the drop below him goes further than the lights can show.

With only one hand free he reaches for a hand-hold some way to gain a perch and pull himself up, but it is useless from his awkward postion. He slaps the cliff way angry and listens as the sound echoes throughout the deep chasm.
_

Dragonwriter

First Post
Another curse bursts from Jareth's lips. How far? Got to get free... Oh, my head... He reaches up to brush his hair back, hand coming back with blood. His mind registers it and shakes off a bit more of the mental fog. "Come on, resources," he says aloud, attempting to gain another measure of focus. "Fell into dark. Only lights are from magic... Can't afford to fall the rest of the way.... No anti-falling magic. And stuck..." The vocal observances help him to realize a little more of what he has available and what he doesn't have.

"The others... they should still be above. Only the swordsman fell, then me. No one else went past in the dark," he continues, mind growing more clear. He takes a deep breath and sends the lights up over the edge of the cliff above, guessing to send them to the limit of their range and hopefully to the rending tear he fell through. Then he puts the deep breath to use, bellowing out, "I'M STILL HERE! TIE ROPES TOGETHER AND SEND THEM DOWN!"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!

After the echoes die away it is quiet and Jareth strains to hear something anything.

*scrape* *jingle* *scrape*

He hears the sound of someone crawling towards the cliff edge, their chain armor making noise as they drag themselves to the edge. Jareth waits not wishing to cry out for fear the sound will be gone if he stops listening to it for even a moment. Then it stops not far from the edge and he hears a gasping of air as if someone is having trouble breathing.

Watching the edge he sees a hand come into the light over the cliff edge. The hand tries to reach down feeblely and Jareth notices it is dripping blood.

_

Dragonwriter

First Post
Jareth once again tries to pull himself free of the wedge, to slide or force his way out. "I can't reach your hand. Got stuck in a crevice," the young man manages to get out. "Can you get back up to the others? Send help down after?"

HolyMan

Thy wounds are healed!
There is no answer to Jareth's questions. He listens for a few seconds and hears a few grunts and sees the hand move away from the edge.

Whatever they are doing some of the sounds become very familiar to Jareth. He hears the clinking of metal links one upon one another, and the sound of a chain as it unfolds.

Then he sees a spiked chain, a "mojaer-tal" coming over the edge and unwraping to within reach of his left hand. The weapon looks like none Jareth has seen before, the spikes thin and probably as sharp as razors, the spike pointing down at him curved like a single talon of some great bird.

At the cliff edge Jareth sees the blooded hand grasped around the chain. It shakes it once and he here's a weak voice gasp out a single word in a thick accent.

"Climb."

[sblock=OOC] Climb check is DC 25 due to one handed (and it's your off-hand at that - just have to trust me) Post up your reaction and then if you will let me I will see about another surprise and take over Jareth to get him out of the mess he is in. ;) [/sblock]

Remove ads