• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[ooc] Heroes of Silleria discussion thread (all comments welcome!)

silentspace

First Post
About Alexi getting criticalled - that's one of the wierd things about the game mechanics. She has cover from the corner so the chances of her being hit are pretty low, but the chances that she's criticalled if she is hit are pretty high! Not complaining about it, just commenting :)

Thanee

First Post
Actually, this is wrong.

If you only hit on a 20 (for example), every hit will be a threat, but only every 20th hit will be a critical.

If you hit on a 11, not every hit will be a threat, but at least as many as if you only hit on 20 (depending on threat range). However, every 2nd threat will result in a critical, that is 10 times as many as above!

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

MerakSpielman

First Post
I think what ss is trying to say is that any given hit more likely to be a threat. These threats are unlikely to be actual crits, though, since they have to roll so high just to hit.

edit: posted at the same time, ss. I don't do math. Statistics give me a headache. Han Solo: "Never tell me the odds!" I just roll the dice... :D

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Yes, but that's irrelevant! ;)

Threats are not important, only hits and crits are in the end.

Unless you tailor a very specific case (if there even is one), the one with the higher chance to hit will also have more crits (same threat range). Sure, the percentage of crits compared to hits might be higher, but that's really just a statistical value of no importance.

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

silentspace

First Post
Yeah but isn't it interesting? You would think that the harder it is to hit something, the lower the chances for threats would be, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
casts burning hands defensively, and barely gets the spell off (by my estimates, you don't reach N12.)

That's ok, the corner would get in the way probably. I just assumed a cone straight ahead to the top left, without really accounting for the corner! :)

(OOC: Remarkably, the only things I rolled above 10 for this round were the concentration checks and c5's saving throw. That's dice for you.)

Yay! Good you made that Concentration check this time! :)

The result was obviously quite good! :D

(Also OOC: Considering what happened to Alexi, I'm thinking it might be easier if, in the future, I automatically consider anybody casting in a threatened area to be casting defensively, unless they say otherwise. What do you think?)

I think you can do that, and we'll then tell you if we DON'T want to cast defensively.

So, casting defensively is default (if threatened). Not casting defensively is to be announced.

(Also also OOC: What's the point of an OOC thread if I don't use it? Compare and contrast the pros and cons, and present me with a five page paper tomorrow morning. Thank you. )

A little OOC comment here and there isn't that bad, but we shouldn't start answering each other there... :D

I'll mark OOC talk with silver color and size 1 from now on!

Bye
Thanee

Last edited:

Thanee

First Post
Thanee said:
That's ok, the corner would get in the way probably. I just assumed a cone straight ahead to the top left, without really accounting for the corner! :)

Doh!

I was thinking about the 3.5 Burning Hands, which is a cone instead of the half-circle it is in 3.0! :D

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads