• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E [OOC] Uller's Out of the Abyss

SunGold

First Post
Well, I guess it depends in part on why you're playing. If you're really into tactical play (which I kinda get the vibe that you are?) and battles as the "meat" of the game, switching out characters regularly would probably be less of a big deal.

I think, particularly now with these big APs, that a lot of players like to experience the full hero's journey. Like watching Luke go from whiny farmhand to blowing up the Death Star with his eyes closed. They enjoy the progression. If you keep swapping out PCs, you never get that satisfaction, but the people who are cool with that are getting their enjoyment elsewhere.

Whatever floats your boat & all that. FWIW, I didn't really expect our PCs would survive this AP, so I'll hardly be bent out of shape if you kill Surana.

DMAesh

Explorer
Well, I mentioned when we started this venture, that I am more interested in story that tactical combat. But sometimes you can come up with good stories when you have multiple characters! ;)

Uller

Adventurer
At the table I definitely consider tactical combat to be a high priority. Every session should involve at least one high intensity combat or some other life and death situation where player decisions combined with dice rolls and rules effect the outcome and the course of the story. That should take up (on average) about half the time at the table, imo. This format seems a bit different. Tactical combat is difficult to convey without digital support and too much of that would start to feel like we're just playing a very very slow crpg. Plus a single combat takes soooo long. So it probably need to be de-emphasized. So far my two favorite encounters were the dark mantles and the derro who you decided was better off dead.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Uller

Adventurer
Sorry for the delay. It's been a busy week. Maybe tonight...more likely tomorrow night.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

SunGold

First Post
No need to apologize for any delays dude. You're a busy guy with a wife & kids. I think it's clear DMAesh & I aren't going anywhere, so...no rush, ever.

The game will be here when you have time. Thanks for running it. :)

SunGold

First Post
There are occasional pools of dark still water, which you avoid. Eventually you come to a large wide passage. It is faintly illuminated with a greenish glow from lichens high on the ceiling. Is it your imagination or do the little "stars" of mold mimic the constellations from a sky that now seems like a vague memory from a dream?

Came across these today and thought of our game:

tmp_32192-Joseph+Michael+Luminosity3571473327.jpg

tmp_32192-Joseph+Michael+Luminosity13-2083917604.jpg

tmp_32192-Joseph+Michael+Luminosity9-2075616065.jpg

The photographer, Joseph Michael, took long-exposure shots to capture the bioluminescence of glow-worms in the caverns.

TIL New Zealand has an Underdark.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads