• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E (OOC) Vault of the Dracolich 5E (Full)

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Can Aquaria tell what her magic sword does?
As soon as she gets out of the water she will find while wiping it dry that there is a gold band running along where that groove (can't remember what you call it) is. If the weilder runs her off-hand along it from hilt to point, it glows at various brightnesses from candle to torch to lantern. It is also a +1 Rapier. She can name it whatever she likes.

Sent from my LG-D852 using EN World mobile app

eayres33

Explorer
I have a question on swimming, I know Drako will be at disadvantage for attacks but how far can he move per turn? Is it 15 feet? Also how are you ruling on magic attacks under water for say EB or shatter?

It's a while since I've done an adventure that ended up in the water.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Can I please have an idea of how much damage this thing has taken and how much it can take?

How much it's taken is at the bottom of my posts. As far as how much it can take goes, I'm not used to giving out that information except as a story-point, and in this case I don't know if anyone could really tell. It's hurt and unhappy, you can tell that. If you really want to know, mechanics-wise, I suppose I could tell you.

I have a question on swimming, I know Drako will be at disadvantage for attacks but how far can he move per turn? Is it 15 feet? Also how are you ruling on magic attacks under water for say EB or shatter?

It's a while since I've done an adventure that ended up in the water.

Yes, I had to look up the rules too and some of them are vague, which is something I generally like in 5e but sometimes find a bit... awkward. I can't find anything at all about how magic works underwater, so I guess it is up to the DM. Movement is definitely halved, though. In this case I would rule that EB range is halved and shatter works fine, but would probably deafen anyone in the water. I don't know if I'd make it do damage, but it would HURT.

Speaking of underwater combat, and specifically to [MENTION=6855204]tglassy[/MENTION], I've been thinking about Aquaria and the limitations of her swimming ability (if any). I know you fluff it as more being a part of the water for her, and that's good, but I'm not sure I approve of her wielding a shield while doing it. I'm semi-okay with her wearing her armour. I'm pretty sure I imagined her shield and gear on the Kayak. How have you been picturing it? (Anyone else with an opinion can chime in here.)

Oh and [MENTION=23]Ancalagon[/MENTION] did you want to play a second character in the third party? We seem to be developing an idea of a group that joins Terrus and the newcomer Warforged and [MENTION=6865745]gargoyleking[/MENTION] 's warlock in attempting the front-door infiltration mission while Devan and the others go for the Trog Caves.

tglassy

Adventurer
I suppose I just figured she wore whatever. I mean, the Triton race from Volo's Guide to Monsters is depicted wearing armor, and the whole point of that race is to basically be merpeople. I figured since she has a swim speed, she'd be fine in anything but heavy armor.

As for the shield, I guess that's you're call, but I kind of figured the same thing. She's more at home in the water than on land, so in my mind, she should be able to deal with it. That is up to you, though.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I suppose I just figured she wore whatever. I mean, the Triton race from Volo's Guide to Monsters is depicted wearing armor, and the whole point of that race is to basically be merpeople. I figured since she has a swim speed, she'd be fine in anything but heavy armor.

As for the shield, I guess that's you're call, but I kind of figured the same thing. She's more at home in the water than on land, so in my mind, she should be able to deal with it. That is up to you, though.

Yeah, I dunno, really. I've worn a chain shirt while doing an unrelated martial art (to see what it was like) and it wasn't as bad as people might imagine. I could dive roll in it, for instance. (Wouldn't want to try that in plate, though.) I've been considering trying to find out if I could swim in it, but I'd need to borrow the chain (not mine) and find a pool where I wouldn't freak people out. Dunno if he'd want his chain wet, either.

It's most important to me that people think about these things than "rules" about it. As long as everyone can imagine how she's doing it, and it doesn't feel like her shield disappears whenever it's convenient, I'm okay with it.

So let's call it this: (Better than going over the fight to retcon out the shield, which might change things... what a headache):

Her shield is specially made for it, rounded, rather than flat, it curves around her hand and widens back toward her elbow, going three-quarters of the way around her arm. Very small, compared to Kurzon's. She swims mostly with her will (and her legs) and points the shield forward when moving that way.

I am happy with that. How about you?

Remove ads