• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, don't move] Go see Signs.

If you're in a country where M. Night Shyamalan's newest movie, Signs, is playing, go see it. I think this has now become my favorite movie. Certainly the best suspense I've ever seen.

And even though this isn't on topic, mods, please don't move it, since I don't want to discuss it, just urge people to go see it.

Dang, that movie was gratifying. And I'll say no more, lest I spoil something.

(Very ) Minor Spoilers

***(Very ) Minor Spoilers ****

I just got back from the theatre myself, and I could not agree more. I liked "Signs" better than "Unbreakable", and that was a great movie.

Mel Gibson was great, and I haven't been a fan of his for a LONG time now...

Very well done movie - you will definitely run the gamut of emotions during this one.

The "action" is limited in the movie, but that is really necessary to make the "alien" angle work in a movie based on charachterisation, not special effects...

enjoy!

Tetsubo

First Post
I loved Unbreakable.

But crop circles are made by people with boards and ropes.

This *severely* impacts my ability to get into this movie.

People with boards and ropes just aren't that scary. Unless they are trying to hurt me with those boards and ropes...

MeepoTheMighty

First Post
Tetsubo said:
I loved Unbreakable.

But crop circles are made by people with boards and ropes.

This *severely* impacts my ability to get into this movie.

People with boards and ropes just aren't that scary. Unless they are trying to hurt me with those boards and ropes...

Comic books are sold by fat middle-aged bearded men in spiderman t-shirts, not snazzily-dressed guys in wheelchairs. That didn't impact my ability to get into Unbreakable.

Besides, how do you know who makes crop circles? Some crops tend to grow higher than your head, I'd be hard-pressed to imagine making a circle with a board and rope in the middle of a corn field.

Tetsubo

First Post
MeepoTheMighty said:

Comic books are sold by fat middle-aged bearded men in spiderman t-shirts, not snazzily-dressed guys in wheelchairs. That didn't impact my ability to get into Unbreakable.

Besides, how do you know who makes crop circles? Some crops tend to grow higher than your head, I'd be hard-pressed to imagine making a circle with a board and rope in the middle of a corn field.

Well in one of my local comic shops they are sold by an incredibly curvy, rather attractive, 20-year old co-ed. Who occasionally likes to dress up in a fetish school girl outfit.

So?

I didn't have a problem believing the Mr. Glass sold comic art. Because he considered it ART.

And you can bend corn stalks with boards and ropes. I've seen the actual videos filmed by the crop circle makers themselves. The only "signs" I get from crop circles is as performance art. In that light it's mildly interesting.

Let me say that I 100% believe that there is life outside of our biosphere. I also 100% believe it's never visited here within human existance. "Alien" attack (or menace) type films just bore me silly. I wish that such a talented director and lead actor had chosen a more interesting storyline.

Your mileage will vary of course.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Tetsubo said:

Well in one of my local comic shops they are sold by an incredibly curvy, rather attractive, 20-year old co-ed. Who occasionally likes to dress up in a fetish school girl outfit.

So?

I didn't have a problem believing the Mr. Glass sold comic art. Because he considered it ART.

And you can bend corn stalks with boards and ropes. I've seen the actual videos filmed by the crop circle makers themselves. The only "signs" I get from crop circles is as performance art. In that light it's mildly interesting.

Let me say that I 100% believe that there is life outside of our biosphere. I also 100% believe it's never visited here within human existance. "Alien" attack (or menace) type films just bore me silly. I wish that such a talented director and lead actor had chosen a more interesting storyline.

Your mileage will vary of course.

Well, with that passing judgement, I take it you've seen the movie then?

Tetsubo

First Post
I'm not passing judgement on the film.

I'm passing judgement on it's premise.

Knowing how crop cirlces are actually made means I can't "buy" the rest of the film. It could be brilliant. But I'll never see it because the director has chosen a topic that I find silly. I had an easier time "buying" Reign of Fire or LoTR. Neither is based even remotely on reality.

I just don't find performance artists armed with boards and ropes threatening.

I enjoyed Alien(s) and Predator because they were set within an sf setting I could believe. I can't believe that crop circles are anything other than they are.

Heck, I recently enjoyed Earth vs The Spider and She Creature (both 2002). Spider-men and mermaids are mythic. Crop cirlces are just part of the fabric of urban legend. Might as well have made a film about finding a hook hanging off of your back car door handle.

This is just my opinion. Go see the film if you want. I'm looking forward to XXX myself.

Ristamar

Adventurer
Yes, I understand what you're saying. You think crop circles are silly because you know how they're made. Yet I find this silly...

Tetsubo said:
I just don't find performance artists armed with boards and ropes threatening.

...because it has virtually nothing to do with the movie, as the movie is not about people running around with boards and rope at night in corn fields. It's akin to saying you can't get into Jaws because science has proven that sharks don't attack men simply for the sake of attacking men.

Of course, that's just my opinion...

Last edited:

Tetsubo

First Post
...because it has virtually nothing to do with the movie, as the movie is not about people running around with boards and rope at night in corn fields. It's akin to saying you can't get into Jaws beause science has proven that sharks don't attack men simply for the sake of attacking men.

Of course, that's just my opinion... [/B][/QUOTE]

Well... while no white shark hunts humans exclusively, they have killed humans. Every year. No crop circle has ever been made except by human hands (feet actually...).

I just can't make the leap beyond that. I'm sorry.

I love spy movies. Bond, The Bourne Identity and I'm hoping XXX. But you couldn't pay me to see an Austin Powers movie. Just the trailers are painfully unfunny.

Guys with boards and ropes may have nothing to do with Signs. But the film is ultimately based on those performance artists with those boards and ropes. Knowing this ruins the film for me. I don't want to spend money on it. But seeing the reviews, my $8 won't be missed.

Remove ads