• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paths of Legend: The Journey

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
The man laughs, "Veiled threats will not work with me. You should have realized that last night when Silevran tried to short me on my asking price for that dagger he so desperately wanted. Now, what might I possess that you might want?"

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle's eyes widen when she hears that he's in town. Silevran. But she shakes the thought and looks at Rossler, "You should not fear me. If he is after what you have, this dagger, money is his nice way of getting it. But he will get it, by blood or coin, and that is no threat." She stands up, her chair pushing back uncontrollably, teetering on its legs with the quickness of her movements.

She takes a step back and speaks low, "You would do well to rid yourself of that dagger for it will take your life. Whether by the half-elf's hands or your own, your blood will be spilled. He is watching you. And this is no threat. Follow the dagger's trail." She takes another step back, her eyes wide with dismay and fright, it's difficult to distinguish between the two.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Rossler's smile turns feral and altogether unfriendly, "I knew there was something wrong with you. You didn't have those fancy rapiers last night. That I could dismiss as just having acquired new toys. But, not knowing that I've already concluded my business with Silevran and handed over that dagger to him, when you were there to see it, that proves it. You, dear lady, are an imposter."

He pulls his own rapier, then his body starts to twist and strain, changing, sprouting whiskers and fur, and a rat's tail. When the horrific transformation is complete he is a humanoid rat, standing before Estelle, rapier at the ready.

"Silevran will pay quite handsomely for you, I think. Let us dance."

OOC: Roll initiative!

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle - AC: 17 - HP: 6 - DR: 5/Silver or Magic

Initiative roll of 29.

Estelle draws both rapiers and screams out in frustration. Before Rossler can react she rushes at him in a flash, one rapier slashing high, the other low.

I need Weapon Finesse badly. Two attack rolls with +1 Silver Rapiers, coming in at 11 and 15. Damage for each is 7 and 7.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
OOC: Holy crap. I'm not even going to bother with his initiative roll.

OOC: Since she caught him flat-footed, roll sneak attack damage for the 15 (that hits his flat-footed AC). Also, the penalty for two-weapon fighting with two one-handed weapons is -4 (not -2), but a 13 still hits his flat-footed AC. So, yes, you definately need weapon finesse. ;)

OOC: If he's still standing after the sneak attack damage, I'll post his action.

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle - AC: 17 - HP: 6/6 - DR: 5/Silver or Magic

Estelle actually has Two-Weapon Fighting as one of her two feats, hence the -2. The other is Point Blank Shot. She has +0 BAB, +1 STR, +1 Magic Weapon, -2 TWF, totals to a +0 bonus.

Sneak attack damage against Rossler is 6.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
OOC: Right, that's if the off-hand weapon is light, which it isn't in this case. Rapiers are one-handed weapons (despite being able to be used with the Weapon Finesse feat).

Rossler looks down at the rapier plunged through his chest in utter disbelief for several moments. Finally he slides off the silvered weapon and crumples to the floor in a heap, reverting back to his human form in death.

The barkeep watches the entire incident, a mild look of surprise on his face, "Reflexes like that ain't human. 'Course, neither was Rossler so I ain't judgin'. Still, Rossler had some pretty powerful friends. I'd watch yourself if I were you."

OOC: Add 600 xp to Estelle for that one round kill. :confused:;)

ethandrew

First Post
Can I get another 600 if I take care of the barkeep?

You are right, my mistake. What's your take on retraining feats? I'd ditch that Point Blank Shot for Weapon Finesse pretty quick like. We can even do a training montage complete with bad 80's music.

Estelle points the bloody rapier straight at the barkeep, spatters of the dark red flying off the blade as she whips it quickly, "If I were you, I'd leave this place and never come back. And I'd shut up too, you don't know what you're talking about. If people start coming after me, I'm coming after you. Count on it." She leans over the body and has no shame in rifling through his pockets, looking for anything that could lead her to Silevran or that she would find of value.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
OOC: Weapon Finesse has a prereq of BAB +1. :p I haven't allowed retraining, yet, and probably won't until I get my hands on the 3.5 PHB2 eventually. However, next level Estelle could pick up a level of Fighter and get Weapon Finesse.

The barkeep is unfazed, "I work here, lady, and you ain't half as mean or powerful as Xanaphia, the owner of this place. So keep your threats to yourself. I'm not threatening you, I'm warning you. Rossler was a go-between for the black market smugglers and such. With him gone, there'll be some jockeying for position and someone might decide to take out the one who took out Rossler as a show of power."

OOC: I didn't have Rossler's possessions planned out, so I'm just going to roll a CR 2 treasure and convert the coinage to the most portable form.

[sblock=Treasure Rolls]CR 2 Treasure 1st roll = Coins, 2nd roll = Goods, 3rd roll = Items (1d100=71, 1d100=62, 1d100=23)

Coinage (4d10=24)[/sblock]

Estelle finds 240 gold pieces in Rossler's belt pouch and a key ring with three keys on them. Estelle recognizes the general shape of one to be the apartment key for one of the middle class multi-occupant buildings in the Merchant's Quarter. The other two appear to be chest or drawer keys.

ethandrew

First Post
Estelle pockets the coins and the keys and stands up, glaring at the barkeep. She walks over toward him and grabs her wine glass and drains what was remaining of it, "Since we're exchanging warnings, I'm not the dangerous one. Silevran is, his employer is. This could end with his death," she points to Rossler on the floor. "Let's hope it does." She turns and heads toward the door and with a hand on the solid wood she turns and addresses the bartender once more, "That is a good vintage, by the way."

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads