D&D 5E PbP games: what works and what doesn't?

FitzTheRuke

Legend
That's a good idea, but you will really have to let players know that they have your permission for that. It's a surprisingly non-standard way of playing.

You're like me: I'm not offended by players adding details when I DM, or DMs adding details (to my character work) when I play; but we are not in the majority, I'm afraid.

I think people would like that style of play more, if they are aware that it's okay to do it.

Let 'em know that you're comfortable with it, and start answering "You tell me." or better, "Go ahead and decide that for yourself." when they ask you that sort of question, until they get used to it.

Archon Basileus

First Post
That's a good idea, but you will really have to let players know that they have your permission for that. It's a surprisingly non-standard way of playing.

You're like me: I'm not offended by players adding details when I DM, or DMs adding details (to my character work) when I play; but we are not in the majority, I'm afraid.

I think people would like that style of play more, if they are aware that it's okay to do it.

Let 'em know that you're comfortable with it, and start answering "You tell me." or better, "Go ahead and decide that for yourself." when they ask you that sort of question, until they get used to it.
I agree, even though that never comes across like that ad I DM.

On a sidenote, [MENTION=59816]FitzTheRuke[/MENTION], did I mention that Drui was once emperor of the Gith? Yeah, they'll come and add him whenever he's in trouble. A minor detail.

EarlyBird

Explorer
I just think in RL games that kind of back and forth takes a minute or two, but in pbp it adds a lot more.

I'm sure everyone's been in games where a player will "run" with a DM's description, adding more to the scene. I use to like those times where the player was helping my imagination (seeing the scene), as we played.

Would like that style to carry over, but maybe in pbp it isn't one of those things that work as well as it does in RL. Whole point of this thread is to discuss just such things.

Archon Basileus

First Post
We used to do it on tabletop when I played with my brother back in the day. We both DM'd to a degree and we sort of needed that creative fix, even as players. In here I think it'd work quite well as long as we took Fitz's recommendation into consideration.

As far as it goes, what if a DM was to employ a system akin to the one found in Numenera? The player can define how the scene goes based on a simple description given at the start of said scene by the DM, and from then on the DM modifies scenes only through an interference mechanism, agreed upon beforehand. The problem might just be perpetuated in another form, but at least the DM would have an opportunity to organize all contributions afterwards without breaking pace. Also, correcting scenes would be part of the game and would have to integrate players' considerations. It might even be used as a way to deliver the plot - the DM only interferes if it matches the plot and if it is possible according to his world's general build.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
It could be done, given the right players. Some players are looking for a more purely-D&D style of play (though, of course, what exactly THAT is, is sometimes up for debate!)

EarlyBird

Explorer
Your correct about players wanting the D&D experience. But in this format they may need to bend just a little.

I'll write up an overall announcement about what I am looking for and post it in all of my games. Just looking for a way to speed things along alittle.

Actually, I think PbP fosters player agency better than face to face. There's space between each posting which is easier to fill with creativity because there's no urgency that we are wasting playing time.

Also, given the limitations of PbP anything that enriches the experience is easier to look upon favorably and just go with it. I think D&D makes this "easy" because there are no rules for it. You just do it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I'll write up an overall announcement about what I am looking for and post it in all of my games. Just looking for a way to speed things along a little.

Yeah, if it's what you want, go for it. I'm always happy to have some freedom to make stuff up. It'll work well once everyone gets used to it, IMO.

EarlyBird

Explorer
Correct, you just do it, but I find most players just don't. They wait (or want) for more details.

I think for me pbp is all about the writing, and maybe I'm waiting for those cool small detailed posts from my players.

You probably need to say this in your RGs. Frankly, with your focus on old school gaming, you would be the last DM I would suspect to give players agency.

Remove ads