• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E People didn't like the Psionic Talent Die

Undrave

Legend
I’m fine with it on a psion class or soemthing, but don’t bind all Psionics to it. The Psi Knight and Soul Knife were better without it, and didn’t need anything like it to feel like their story was being represented.
only thing Psi Knight/Psychic Warrior needs is to be able to throw objects from low levels.

I disagree, if you make a Psion they shouldn't have wild surges, they should be the safe and focused version that is much more disciplined and just has class features and psionic spells.

Rogues and Fighters have a much lighter mechanical load to begin with so they can easily handle the Psionic Talent Dice without getting bogged down. The Sorcerer having to juggle Psionic Dice, talents, sorcery points, metamagic AND spell slots was just too much.

And if you must get rid of the 'roll X and power down', then just make it 'power down to do X'.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I always felt like the Mind Blade of a Soulknife should be tied to a scaling die ala the monk's Martial Arts Die or something.

The PTD works well because the rogue doesn't have a resource subsystem to tie soul knife special moves to. The rogue doesn't have ki like the monk nor Action surge like the fighter. So it would end up getting the:

Once you use this feature, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest
4- 6 times

A lot of fiddly "encounter powers" are hard to remember and easy to lose track of. Tagging it all to 1 die fixes that.

Undrave

Legend
The PTD works well because the rogue doesn't have a resource subsystem to tie soul knife special moves to. The rogue doesn't have ki like the monk nor Action surge like the fighter. So it would end up getting the:

Since when is Action Surge a 'ressource subsystem'?! It doesn't interact with anything...

So why are you only castigating WotC now for being cowards and not earlier for going forward with the Mystic? Strange, it's almost as if the accusation of cowardice is really a mask for something else... :unsure:
So why are you setting up strawmen? Maybe a mask for something else... :unsure:

I was always okay with the mystic, it just needed a little pruning and tidying up, and have said so on numerous occasions.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Since when is Action Surge a 'ressource subsystem'?! It doesn't interact with anything...

I meant how it's available to be a subsystem as it is a resource. Rogues don't get any expendable resources until level 20. It's all "at will"so it is not much to add.

I'm pretty sure based on what Crawford is saying that the Psionic die is totally DOA.

Yeah, it won't be the Psionic Talent Die.

It wil be your Soul Knife Die. There will be a die to determine your souknife damage.

The only questions are:
  1. Will it be tied to the other psionic aspects of the soulknife?
  2. If so, will it use the "shrink and grow the dice" mechanic or the "Once you use this feature, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest" mechanic?
Crawford say people are asking to "just play this cool thing" and don't "want to track new things".

Well... you can't be psionic without tracking your psionics.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I meant how it's available to be a subsystem as it is a resource. Rogues don't get any expendable resources until level 20. It's all "at will"so it is not much to add.

It wil be your Soul Knife Die. There will be a die to determine you souknife damage.

The only questions are:
  2. If so, will it use the "shrink and grow the dice" mechanic or the "Once you use this feature, you can’t do so again until you finish a short or long rest" mechanic?
Crawford say people are asking to "just play this cool thing" and don't "want to track new things".

Sure you can. Full stop.

Parmandur

Book-Friend

It wil be your Soul Knife Die. There will be a die to determine you souknife damage.

The only questions are:

I liked the mechanic quite a bit, but... it's not going to be in the final Soul Knife, or anything else. The November Soul Knife didn't have it, and that is more like what we can expect if it ever sees print.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I liked the mechanic quite a bit, but... it's not going to be in the final Soul Knife, or anything else. The November Soul Knife didn't have it, and that is more like what we can expect if it ever sees print.

The Nov SoulKnife had 4 things to track. Two of which had multiple uses.

What's easier to track

your 1 Psi Enhancement, your 1 Terrifying Blade, your 2-3 Psychic Veils and your 2-3 Rend Minds
Or
"dice goes up dice goes down slashy slash."

I'm not counting PTD as dead. Dead in the sorcerer and fighter, sure. But not the rogue.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Nov SoulKnife had 4 things to track. Two of which had multiple uses.

What's easier to track

your 1 Psi Enhancement, your 1 Terrifying Blade, your 2-3 Psychic Veils and your 2-3 Rend Minds
Or
"dice goes up dice goes down slashy slash."

I'm not counting PTD as dead. Dead in the sorcerer and fighter, sure. But not the rogue.

This isn't about abstract complexity, it's about popular reception.

The Psionic Die fell flat. I appreciate Crawford letting us know it isn't going anywhere. It's not coming back.

Remove ads