D&D 5E Planescape, Bigby, Phandelver and the Deck of Many Things: Covers & Details Revealed!

See the covers of all the upcoming releases!

The covers of the upcoming D&D books — including Planescape, Glory of the Giants, and the Deck of Many Things have been revealed.

• August 15th -- Bigby Presents: Glory of the Giants ($59.95)
  • August 15th -- The Practically Complete Guide to Dragons ($39.95)
  • September 19th -- Phandelver and Below: The Shattered Obelisk ($59.95)
  • October 16th -- Planescape: Adventures in the Multiverse ($TBA)
  • November 14th -- Book of Many Things ($TBA)

IMG_9191.jpeg

bigby.jpeg

Coming August 15th with two variants. Lore about giants, 76 stat blocks, feats, and a giant subclass.

IMG_9192.jpeg

3 hardcovers in a boxed set-- 96 page guide to Sigil, 64-page bestiary, and 96-page adventure, along with a poster map and DM screen. Coming October 16th.

IMG_9193.jpeg

224-page adventure for levels 1-12, poster map, 16 new monsters. Coming September 19th.

IMG_9194.jpeg

66 illustrated cards, 192-page book with lore, character options, magic items, and monsters, 80-page card reference guide, all in a slipcase. Coming November 14th.​

Incenjucar

Legend
With Planescape, and basically any other setting other than FR, I think the community needs to go grassroots with it for there to be lasting official support. Gotta at least go beyond the old Mimir days to get corporate attention.

Why would a human would want to reincarnate into a gnome who live more years instead spending a lot of gold into expensive and rejuvenation potions? Maybe it was a deal or pact with Garl Glittergold "I will help you with me divine powers, but you have to make gnomes more popular". Something like Bahamut and the 3.5 first dragonborns from "Races of Dragons".

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
With Planescape, and basically any other setting other than FR, I think the community needs to go grassroots with it for there to be lasting official support. Gotta at least go beyond the old Mimir days to get corporate attention.
Or, alternately, come to terms with the fact that official support will be anemic from here on out and that, honestly, the hardcore fans are better off producing their own fan works anyway.

Incenjucar

Legend
Or, alternately, come to terms with the fact that official support will be anemic from here on out and that, honestly, the hardcore fans are better off producing their own fan works anyway.
Pretty much! Personally I'm working on PS-compatible stuff which doesn't directly reference it so it can also work with other systems and survive all the legal stuff. I do think the modern geekdom is better able to support the ideas of Planescape than the 90s were, but that's rather up to the younger generations to decide.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Pretty much! Personally I'm working on PS-compatible stuff which doesn't directly reference it so it can also work with other systems and survive all the legal stuff. I do think the modern geekdom is better able to support the ideas of Planescape than the 90s were, but that's rather up to the younger generations to decide.
Planescape feels very much like the kind of setting Gen Z would have come up with, if it hadn't already existed.

Stormonu

Legend
"A glitch in the multiverse" in the adventure description really hints at modron involvement, even the Great Modron March as has been speculated
I get vibes of the fallout of Modron March/Dead Gods with Tenebrous’s short-lived assumption of the role of Primus. Sort of fallout of the early March back in 2E. That or Vecna’s meddling with the obelisks.

Hopefully, the revised setting won’t be post Faction War, or if it is the Lady’s let the factions back into Sigil, though they may be moved about a bit.

Stormonu

Legend
Planescape always struck me at TSR’s attempt at the the nihilistic campaign setting found in White Wolf’s World Of Darkness, but “kiddified” and stalking off in its own direction. (DiTerizelli even did artwork for Werewolf).

Addendum - I feel like Sigil and Babylon 5 have a lot of similarities and possibly story beats.

Hopefully, the revised setting won’t be post Faction War, or if it is the Lady’s let the factions back into Sigil, though they may be moved about a bit.
Keys from the Golden Vault specifically mentioned the Fated, and noted them as being based out of Sigil - whether that means 5e Planescape will be a pre-FW remix or a version of post-FW where the Factions have been allowed to return is unclear, but either way, there are going to be Factions in Sigil again.

Last edited:

Being honest, the original faction setup had it's fair share of problems and are worth a revision. Some factions were not even beliefs (Revolutionaries, Free League), while others too one-note (Harmonium, Mercy Killers, Doom Guard) or had very little playability potential (Dustmen, Xaositechs). The good designed factions were those that were both playable and had enough nuance within their philosophies to allow multiple takes, from more moderate to radical ones (the Believers of the Source, Fated and Sensates come to mind).

I would be slightly disappointed if they go back to pre-FW setup as is. (I'd still prefer that over the post-Faction War setup though).

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Why would a human would want to reincarnate into a gnome who live more years instead spending a lot of gold into expensive and rejuvenation potions? Maybe it was a deal or pact with Garl Glittergold "I will help you with me divine powers, but you have to make gnomes more popular". Something like Bahamut and the 3.5 first dragonborns from "Races of Dragons".
Or else it was a random roll and he narrowly missed coming back as a gnoll. :p

Remove ads

Remove ads