Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Thus illustrating how it is possible to change the nature of reality with the stoke of a pen.
They changed the nature of reality by leaving it a planet, which is what it was before. That's not much of a change. Oh, and they now call it a dwarf planet, because it is small, also like it was before. So in the end Pluto remains a small planet.

I think scientists need to confer with high level wizards and see what altering reality really looks like. ;)

dave2008

Legend
I prefer simpler games without some of the crazier dials of D&D5e myself. It is simple, smooth, much like it's origin game BRP but more modern. It leaves room for house rules and homebrew as well. Boss fights feel like very hairy situations and not just whittling down meat sacks of hitpoints. I do like 5e, do not get me wrong but my tastes lean to less powerful characters and more like Warhammer FRP scale than D&D level 7+ unless it is 1e or Basic. I do run a bi-weekly DCC which can be quite gonzo for sure but its more Moorcock than Jack Kirby. For me Dragonbane can give me the old D&D cartoon style as a game and stay toned down without making it seem like the characters never progress or get bogged down like WFRP does sometimes. WHich I prefer the 2e version of that but I like that the 4e version is more complete out of the book with WFRP. See now I have gone into other games.

I think Mork Borg is danged near perfect as a rules system though.
I don't know that you help me with my question really, but if I get a chance I will look at Dragonbane again. Thank you for the reply!

They changed the nature of reality by leaving it a planet, which is what it was before. That's not much of a change. Oh, and they now call it a dwarf planet, because it is small, also like it was before. So in the end Pluto remains a small planet.

I think scientists need to confer with high level wizards and see what altering reality really looks like. ;)
It's a short step from a planet to a dwarf planet, another to a dwarf, another to a gnome, another to a lawn ornament.

Dire Bare

Legend

To be pedantic . . . no. While both the terms "planet" and "dwarf planet" have the word planet in them, they are considered two different types of objects by the astronomy community, dwarf planets are not considered a subset of planets. (source: I teach astronomy)

However . . . this is a semantic battle. As is the argument over universe vs. multiverse. We are arguing about the proper use of terms, which is a changeable thing and decided often arbitrarily by other humans.

After teaching the proper astronomical definition of terms . . . most of my students just consider Pluto and the other dwarf planets as simply small planets, a type of planet. And that works just fine even if it isn't the official definition. It certainly heads off the "PLUTO IS A PLANET" debates they sometimes pick up on . . . .

Remove ads

Remove ads