• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Good point. But I do suspect we’re getting a lot of maps.
Aw, heck yeah.

More than Planescape, though,I would suspect thst is related to the sample Adventure, sample Campaign, and sample Setting the DMG are apparently working with. Which I suspect are not Planar (please be Greyhawk, please be Greyhawk...)

I do wonder if the sample Advebture and Campaign will be new, or classics taken apart by Perkins as an expample...

Kurotowa

Legend
He's pitching the Planescape set as being applicable to anyone who plays D&D, really talking up about how all of the elements of the boxed set are things that folks could potentially use in their own home campaigns regardless of whether it's home brew or a Wizards setting.
That's the bit that stood out for me. He was really pitching it as, "It doesn't matter if you use an official setting or a home brew setting, they can all connect to Planescape and from there out into the wider D&D multiverse." A light version of "All fan trolls are canon", to use an already dated reference.

I mean, it's a clear sales tactic to sell Planescape to people who otherwise wouldn't use an official setting, but it's not false advertising. It's easier to attach Planescape as a shared backstage of the planes than it is to mix a lot of the other settings with your home brew world.

mamba

Legend
I get it from a D&D perspective, but I never was keen on all these planes and Spelljammer or Planescape, not in 2e, not now. Easy to ignore, but it still is more evidence that WotC and I are not interested in the same things.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I get it from a D&D perspective, but I never was keen on all these planes and Spelljammer or Planescape, not in 2e, not now. Easy to ignore, but it still is more evidence that WotC and I are not interested in the same things.
WotC spent like 15 years actively avoiding and dumping on the 2E metasetting, during 3E and 4E they ran as far away as they could. Yet the D&D media like video games still kept it going...

Stalker0

Legend
I do think Planescape is the setting that makes the most sense when you talk about high levels. Most worlds the logic starts to strain when you introduce high levels. But with the planes I mean anything goes, everything is crazy and OP. A 15th level character visiting heaven like its a tuesday....I mean yeah that's what high levels is all about.

Sigil is a great place to highligh the crazy species diversity, magic item shopes, high level bartenders, all of the religion options (but no direct involvement from the gods to get a things in check). And there is always the Lady of Pain to remind the party no matter how cool they are...they aren't the top of the food chain.

I don't think planescape is the right setting for most standard dnd campaings, but once those campaigns go high levels, its time to go planescape.

mamba

Legend
Having a baseline. If you want there to be no default, then any lore is pointless. The Monster book would just be statblocks with no writing about the monsters.
which is basically what they did when they replaced Volo’s with Monsters of the Multiverse, and it makes sense given that there are many different worlds and the lore part fits almost none of them

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads