Planescape Planescape IS D&D Says Jeremy Crawford

Front & center In 2024 core rulebooks.

Planescape is Jeremy Crawford's favourite D&D setting. "It is D&D", he says, as he talks about how in the 2024 core rulebook updates Planescape will be more up front and center as "the setting of settings".

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
It's in the 2e Planescape Boxed setting.

"We can excuse the fact that you slaughtered two yugoloths before you realized where you were, outsider, but you pronounced the name of our fair city 'Sijil,' not 'Sigil,' and there can be no excuse for that! - Her honor Rastina Tollin of the Guvners"

It's a hard G sound.
Right, I meant with regard to the common noun, outside of the context of D&D.

With regard to Sigil, the Cage, the City of Doors, it's a hard "g" sound as per the quote you noted (I recalled that, but I couldn't remember which book it was in), and also as presented in a line from the audio CD that came with A Player's Primer to the Outlands (affiliate link). It was the track for the gate-town Rigus (leading to Acheron) if I recall correctly.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Right, I meant with regard to the common noun, outside of the context of D&D.

With regard to Sigil, the Cage, the City of Doors, it's a hard "g" sound as per the quote you noted (I recalled that, but I couldn't remember which book it was in), and also as presented in a line from the audio CD that came with A Player's Primer to the Outlands (affiliate link). It was the track for the gate-town Rigus (leading to Acheron) if I recall correctly.
Yeah. I noticed and edited while you were typing this apparently. :)

aco175

Legend
Speaking about 2024 plans: "As we worked on Planescape, we were preparing it at the same time we were working on the 2024 rulebooks. We see it as a critical setup for those books, because those books are going to have the D&D multiverse even more front and center than in 2014."

The multiverse part does not concern me as much as the even more front and center part does. I guess you cannot be a billion dollar business without it though.

There's not enough room in the DMG to do a Manual of the Planes and all the other stuff that needs to go in it.
I would not want Manual of the Planes to take up more than a few pages in a DMG, but all the other stuff it needs gives Wizards a tall order to fill. Not holding my breath on how it turns out.

The 1st playtest for the 2024 PHB has some hints about what Crawford is talking about.

In the writeup for Humans:
"Humans are as diverse in appearance as the people of Earth, and they have many gods. Scholars dispute the origin of humanity, but one
of the earliest known human gatherings is said to have occurred in Sigil, the torus-shaped city at the center of the multiverse and the place
where the Common tongue was born. From there, humans could have spread to every corner of the multiverse, bringing Sigil’s cosmopolitanism with them."

In the writeup for Tieflings (under Tieflings of Many Worlds):
"Tieflings born in the Lower Planes often migrate to other planes of existence and never look back. Their descendants are scattered across many worlds and are especially prevalent in Sigil, the torus-shaped city at the center of the multiverse."

This is what might appear in the 2024 PHB, it also contains references to the not Planescape but first definitely brought up in 5e: First World (in the Dragonborn entry), as well as Gods such as Moradin, Corellon and Gruumsh (who date back to 1e before Planescape existed). So there's definitely a hint at the Multiverse in D&D, it's slanted towards Greyhawk (which had Moradin, Corellon and Gruumsh first) and the Forgotten Realms. Eberron and Athas get mentioned in the Halfling entry.

Well, this is one for the people complaining about how WotC doesn't respect the old TSR-era lore, I suppose?

It's a personal gripe, but WotC really seems to be developing a habit of jumping the entire wrong way for my taste when re-doing legacy settings. Leaning hard into the 'weekend in hell' model of Ravenloft rather than the 'living Core' one, and now resurrecting the profoundly irritating TSR habit of shoving their multiverse into everything up to and including Dark Sun where it had no business being.

One-size-fits-all cosmology stank in the TSR era, and it stinks now. Dark Sun's cosmology (for example) should be designed in the service of telling a Dark Sun story with Dark Sun themes, which is different to Eberron or Dragonlance or Faerun stories and themes.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Leaning hard into the 'weekend in hell' model of Ravenloft rather than the 'living Core' one
When VRGtR was announced, I was excited because I thought it'd continue the timeline of the 2E/3.X setting (I know some people think licensing the setting to White Wolf for 3.X means that WotC can't use any of that material now, but I see nothing to substantiate that idea). Then it came out that it was a reboot, one going back to that same "weekend in Hell" idea that so many Ravenloft fans, myself included, had long advocated for the setting to move away from, and it just destroyed my interest in the book.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads