D&D (2024) Playtest 6: Cleric

Shiroiken

Legend
I think there needs to be a limitation on Divine Intervention. As it stands, the material component cost of Raise Dead (and Revivify) is now basically pointless, since you can just use DI instead. Unless you need to resurrect 2 characters immediately, which would be a rare event, there's absolutely no reason not to bypass the material component cost every single time. I'm fine with it being automatic, but limiting it to once every week again.

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
And EVERYTHING is still backwards compatible too!
I think we might need to have a little more detailed instructions on how to make Level 1&2 archetypes play nice with new class chassis that assume archetypes at 3rd level before I'm going to be willing to declare those old options alive and well.

OB1

Jedi Master
I think there needs to be a limitation on Divine Intervention. As it stands, the material component cost of Raise Dead (and Revivify) is now basically pointless, since you can just use DI instead. Unless you need to resurrect 2 characters immediately, which would be a rare event, there's absolutely no reason not to bypass the material component cost every single time. I'm fine with it being automatic, but limiting it to once every week again.
Yeah, they are absolutely going to need a cooldown on this ability. Raise Dead, Greater Restoration, and Scrying are all ripe for abuse with this, but turning Hallow into an action is insanely powerful. Or maybe instead of a cooldown, have it only available to use with spells that take 1 action or bonus action to cast.

Clint_L

Hero
Yeah, I am a little disappointed in Thaumaturge. It feels a bit weaker than Protector. I think it needs either another skill, or a bonus spell to make up for the Channel Divinity going to everyone.

LOVE the changes the Divine Intervention. That is reliable, powerful, and just great.

Not sure about Commune. It is fine, but meh.

I think Divine Spark is now way too weak. (will get into that in a moment)

Trickster's Magic is underwhelming I think, but also.... bonus action invisibility and bonus action Hypnotic Pattern are not bad spells. That is the entire list, which feels too small, but the few spells it works on are good. And in exchange for that AMAZING Invoke duplicity? I'll take it.

///

But.... I am utterly confused by one thing.

Why does Life Domain suck SO MUCH.
Losing polymorph, in particular, hurts Trickery domain.

As for Life...it's always been a sub-class that is amazing at low levels, mediocre in the middle, and then strong again once supreme healing kicks in. You're right that blessed healer totally sucks - a better ability here would go a long way. They're the quintessential support class cleric - what about something that gave them a bit more individual oomph?

Yeah, they are absolutely going to need a cooldown on this ability. Raise Dead, Greater Restoration, and Scrying are all ripe for abuse with this, but turning Hallow into an action is insanely powerful. Or maybe instead of a cooldown, have it only available to use with spells that take 1 action or bonus action to cast.

I'm fine with it as is.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Honestly I like all of the changes to cleric with the exception of one thing:
War domain needs extra attack at 6th level. I wish they'd replace the bonus action limited attack with something else minor.
It does feel weird that Bards and Wizards can get a second attack every turn, but not Clerics, a class that has a lot of spells on their list devoted to keeping their allies hale and whole (and thus, with a reason to converse their slots).

Though in practice, once a Cleric hits level 5, most of their top end spell slots become "Spirit Guardians" anyways...

Greg K

Legend
I like the Holy Order being moved to first level, but I am disappointed by the thaumaturge and lack of a robed Cloistered Cleric option. Don't have much more positive to say about the rest of the class.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I think my bigger complaint is that, frankly, even the "best healer in the game" isn't worth it.
And that's a legit opinion. Some (indeed, many) players will choose to play the healer, and here is a clear and straightforward* option for them.

* straightforward except for the new Preserve Life.

Chaosmancer

Legend

Disagree. If they are choosing not to use the ability on the off-chance someone dies, then I want to reward that. And I don't want to punish them if they decide to use it on a Destructive Wave in a big fight by turning off their ability for a week.

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Disagree. If they are choosing not to use the ability on the off-chance someone dies, then I want to reward that. And I don't want to punish them if they decide to use it on a Destructive Wave in a big fight by turning off their ability for a week.
This sort of thing is always going to cause havoc with groups that want death to be a real PITA to deal with, and feel that expensive material components is actually a good way to balance magic.

Basically, WotC is designing for a game not everyone is playing.

Remove ads