D&D (2024) Playtest 8 Druid discussion

Clint_L

Hero
I'm not arguing that. Only arguing that if the choice is between a shapeshifter who occasionally casts magic and a caster who has the limited ability to turn into animals, the latter is more true to the original design of the druid.
But who cares about the original design? Folks can play OSR if they want the original design. You aren’t going to sell anyone on a nerf by telling them it’s truer to the original design.

WotC’s own movie from this year makes it abundantly clear how Druids are seen today: shapeshifters who turn into animals and kick butt.

Yaarel

He Mage
Masters of the Wild was one of the earliest expansion books for 3e. It contained, among other things, animals for Animal Companions, Dire Animals, Legendary Animals, and a "Using Wild Shape" section.
Maybe some of the Masters of the Wild content is suitable for 5e Beasts.

Yaarel

He Mage
I also love Elemental Druids.

It is easy to have Elemental forms for Wild Shape even at level 2. The damage can be the same, even if the types are Bludgeon, Cold, Lightning, and Fire/Radiant. I say "Radiant", because for the nature-oriented Druid, the sun is by far the most significant feature of Fire.

Potentially, Earth phases thru solid objects, Water flows anywhere, Air flies anywhere and invisiblizes, Fire flies and incinerates. These possibilities require mitigation at the low tiers. The Elemental forms can start off as partial forms, with skill checks, that later become fully Elemental forms at higher tiers.

Gorck

Prince of Dorkness
I have a thought, but there’s no simple way to translate it into a rule without adding a new creature type. In addition to Beasts, I think Druids should be able to change into Monstrosities that are comprised of other Beasts.

For example:

YES
Tressym - a cat with bird wings
Owlbear - half owl/half bear
Griffon - half lion/half eagle

NO
Chimera - one head is a Dragon
Hydra - no Beast has 5 heads

Etc.

mellored

Legend
I have a thought, but there’s no simple way to translate it into a rule without adding a new creature type. In addition to Beasts, I think Druids should be able to change into Monstrosities that are comprised of other Beasts.

For example:

YES
Tressym - a cat with bird wings
Owlbear - half owl/half bear
Griffon - half lion/half eagle

NO
Chimera - one head is a Dragon
Hydra - no Beast has 5 heads

Etc.
You could reclassify owlbear as a beast.
Pegasus too.

Remove ads