D&D 5E Quests From The Infinite Staircase Coming July 2024

An adventure collection coming next summer with updated versions of classic adventures. Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

IMG_2050.png

An adventure collection coming next summer with updated versions of classic adventures.

Update--WotC has taken down the promo image and replaced it with one without a release date. See more here.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Sorry, continuing from above, the 2003 top 30 list, with those already in print for 5E from WotC in Green

1. GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders
  2. I6 Ravenloft
  3. S1 Tomb of Horrors
  4. T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil
  5. S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
  6. I3-5 Desert of Desolation
  7. B2 The Keep on the Borderlands
  8. Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
  9. S2 White Plume Mountain
  10. Return to the Tomb of Horrors
  11. Gates of Firestorm Peak
  12. The Forge of Fury
  13. I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
  14. Dead Gods
  15. X2 Castle Amber (Chateau d’Amberville)
  16. X1 The Isle of Dread
  17. The Ruins of Undermountain
  18. C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  19. N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
  20. A1-4 Scourge of the Slavelords
  21. Dark Tower
  22. S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
  23. WG4 The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
  24. City of the Spider Queen
  25. DL1 Dragons of Despair
  26. WGR6 The City of Skulls
  27. U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
  28. B4 The Lost City
  29. L2 The Assassin’s Knot
  30. C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness

So, that leaves a lot of options on the table still from thar list, and three crossovers between the all-time list and the PowerPoint from yesterday...

Several of those are in print in 5e, with the blessing of WotC, although not actually by WotC. 4, 5, 7, 15, 16, and 28. 21 is coming later this year, all from Goodman Games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Also, for speculation fuel, here are the DMsGuild best selling prior Edition Adventures that haven't been updated to 5E yet, indicating continued interest to this day, in the order they appear on the site:

Adamantium Sellers:

Red Hand of Doom
B10 Night's Dark Terror
B2 Keep on the Borderlands
B4 The Lost City
B1 In Search of the Unknown
T1-4 Temple of Elwmental Evil
T1 The Village of Hommlet
N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God

Mithril sellers:

B1-9 In Search if Advebture (itself an anthology)
Night Below
A0-A4 Against the Slave Lord's
X2 Castle Amber
X1 Isle of Dread
L3 Deep Dwarven Delve
L1 The Secret of Bone Hill
B3 Palace of the Silver Princess
B11 King's Festival
B7 Rahasia
B6 The Veiled Society
B5 Horror on the Hill
Q1 Queen of the Demonweb Pits
D3 Vault of the Drow
D1-2 Descent into the Depths

And one Platinum seller:

S4 Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth

Nope, those are out of print, and Goodman has scrubbed mention of them from their website.

Ooooh, I did not know that. That sucks! AFAIK they are all still available at my local game store. That being so, I can't imagine Wotc reprinting them again so quickly, so my point miiiight still stand.

While we're at it, I can't see the "Return To..." adventures being reprinted. I'm not sure how well a nostalgia adventure based on a nostalgia adventure would work. And "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" is very much of its era -- many things in there would have to be changed or removed. It's also basically a full-length campaign, and I'm not sure anything that long will get the 5e treatment from WotC. (Too bad, because I'd love to see Red Hand of Doom.)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ooooh, I did not know that. That sucks! AFAIK they are all still available at my local game store. That being so, I can't imagine Wotc reprinting them again so quickly, so my point miiiight still stand.
Grab them while they are in stock. They are already teasing Wxpeditio. To the Barrier Peaks lately, and went on at length singing the praises of Hommlet yesterday. It wouldn't surprise me at all if they bring these back now, since they sold well for Goodman and on DMsGuild in spite of being available from Goodman, and are liked by the folks making thw decisions here.
While we're at it, I can't see the "Return To..." adventures being reprinted. I'm not sure how well a nostalgia adventure based on a nostalgia adventure would work. And "Return to the Tomb of Horrors" is very much of its era -- many things in there would have to be changed or removed. It's also basically a full-length campaign, and I'm not sure anything that long will get the 5e treatment from WotC. (Too bad, because I'd love to see Red Hand of Doom.)
Yeah, I think that's right. The longest Advebture in the existing anthologies is Dead in Thay from Yawning Portal, which was like 55 pages.

1. GDQ1-7 Queen of the Spiders
  2. I6 Ravenloft
  3. S1 Tomb of Horrors
  4. T1-4 The Temple of Elemental Evil
  5. S3 Expedition to the Barrier Peaks
  6. I3-5 Desert of Desolation
  7. B2 The Keep on the Borderlands
  8. Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil
  9. S2 White Plume Mountain
  10. Return to the Tomb of Horrors
  11. Gates of Firestorm Peak
  12. The Forge of Fury
  13. I1 Dwellers of the Forbidden City
  14. Dead Gods
  15. X2 Castle Amber (Chateau d’Amberville)
  16. X1 The Isle of Dread
  17. The Ruins of Undermountain
  18. C1 Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan
  19. N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God
  20. A1-4 Scourge of the Slavelords
  21. Dark Tower
  22. S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
  23. WG4 The Forgotten Temple of Tharizdun
  24. City of the Spider Queen
  25. DL1 Dragons of Despair
  26. WGR6 The City of Skulls
  27. U1 The Sinister Secret of Saltmarsh
  28. B4 The Lost City
  29. L2 The Assassin’s Knot
  30. C2 The Ghost Tower of Inverness
Of the non-green ones:

Princes of the Apocalypse has Temple of Elemental Evil and Return To... pretty much covered, I don't think WotC will re-do those ones.

Queen of the Spiders and City of the Spider Queen might be quietly left alone, given how hard WotC are trying to branch out with their drow from the old 'eeeevil spider worshippers' template.

Dragons of Despair is part of a very specific campaign/adventure path, and I think will get left alone.

I'm not familiar with the original Isle of Dread, but i DMed its Savage Tide iteration, and in that it was very colonialist. If (and I'm speaking from legit igorance here, please someone correct me if I'm wrong...) the original module shares that, WotC will either steer well clear, or possibly do a complete rewrite/update.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Princes of the Apocalypse has Temple of Elemental Evil and Return To... pretty much covered, I don't think WotC will re-do those ones.
They released the G modules in Yawning Portal wtin a year after Storm King's Thunder, and Tomb of Horrors mere months before Tomb of Annhilation. Princes of the Apocalypse coming out over 9 years before this book wouldn't disqualify them by any means. Now, their size may be an issue...

Your other points are quite true.

It will be interesting to see what WotC does here.

KoolMoDaddy-O

Explorer
Speculation is fun.

Wizards likes themed anthologies but I wouldn't assume the uniting theme for this one is Planescape. They really seem to be leaning into their IP these days which is to say any old modules and adventures that name-check proper nouns from D&D's history has a leg up on the competition, IMO. I also suspect the anthology while intended to stand alone may do double duty as a book of side quests for the Vecna campaign, which apparently is a Grand Tour of all of the game's settings.

My wild guesses for potential candidates:
  • B10 Night's Dark Terror. Levels 2-4. A complete mini-setting set in Mystara's Karameikos complete with towns, ruins, and dungeons. L1 The Secret of Bone Hill as a runner-up because it does much the same.
  • S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth. Levels 6-10. Because Drelnza.
  • Dancing Hut of Baba Yaga. Strong contender because it has seen iterations in 1e (Dragon Mag 1984), 2e (1995), and 4e (Dungeon, 2011). Also ties into Tasha and could be updated to include/name-check Baba Yaga's daughters, the Hourglass Coven.
Rest could be filled out with Dungeon adventures, especially from the 3x era when they leaned into Greyhawk and its cast of characters. Somebody mentioned "The Mud Sorcerer's Tomb" which saw two incarnations (1992 and 2006) -- I could see that reappearing too.

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I'm not familiar with the original Isle of Dread, but i DMed its Savage Tide iteration, and in that it was very colonialist. If (and I'm speaking from legit igorance here, please someone correct me if I'm wrong...) the original module shares that, WotC will either steer well clear, or possibly do a complete rewrite/update.
Between Goodman already doing a great update to it and Wizards own Tomb of Annihilation, I doubt they’ll touch it. Same goes for Forbidden City.

Remove ads

Remove ads