D&D 5E Realigning the races post tasha's

Jediking

Explorer
Not much to add until I go through them all.

Fantastic idea! Looking forward to adding these to my own game as options and even traits for other creatures to use.
Looks like a great way to add in feats, templates, racial training, etc.

Weiley31

Legend
After reading the Triton section.

Wait hold up: your telling me that any race that comes with Spells, that isn't a cantrip, like Fog Cloud or Creste/Destroy water, COUNTS towards your list of spells known and prepared?

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
After reading the Triton section.

Wait hold up: your telling me that any race that comes with Spells, that isn't a cantrip, like Fog Cloud or Creste/Destroy water, COUNTS towards your list of spells known and prepared?
Not by default, but it's a good step towards bringing a lot of those races up to par. It's pretty rare that those spells are top shelf spells. Out of the ones that are good they tend to be low level spells. Making them always prepared give those races a bit of a twist on their spell list regardless of what class they are playing. I don't forsee such a thing as a balance concern for a few reasons...
First: Keep in mind that multiclassing lets you prepare spells as both classes so a hypothetical level 1 wizard/1 artificer with 20 int could prepare/know 6 spells from each list while a 1cleric/1druid with 20 wis again 6 from each list. If you look at those spell lists there is a ton of overlap that would allow a hypothetical 10/1 split to grab all of their must have first level spells plus a bunch of higher level ones from their more advanced class & nobody is complaining about those characters knowing/preparing lots of spells so there shouldn't be any balance concerns if for example a triton paladin is casting fog cloud & gust of wind occasionally.
Second: I has my players run dragonmark races like that long ago & aside from feeling different from other races in that class I didn't come across any problems,...
Third: What is better, a floating +2/+2 & medium armor or lesser stats & some extra preset spells prepped?

I see your confusion. Mountain dwarf is all of That means that you can now have caster with +2/+2 light armor proficient medium armor proficient, poison resistant, & some ribbons after tasha's pointed a spotlight on the loser races.
View attachment 129004
Yes... That was obvious. But even though it is good, it still does not justify your change to goliath who is already in a good shape. The Armor proficiency and +2 to two stats is great.... but not so much that 1d12+3 damage reduction times (level +1) is justified. That is way overpowered for a single combat. And over a standard day, it is a nerf, because you trade 3 free uses for 1.
So you encourage the 5 min work day.

Now if you want to speak about legendary half plate: there are other magical protections for a wizard without armor proficiencies. I'd also wager that in a typical party the wizard will be the last who gets that +3 armor, because relying on it usually means the wizard did something wrong: being in the mid of melee combat...

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Yes... That was obvious. But even though it is good, it still does not justify your change to goliath who is already in a good shape. The Armor proficiency and +2 to two stats is great.... but not so much that 1d12+3 damage reduction times (level +1) is justified. That is way overpowered for a single combat. And over a standard day, it is a nerf, because you trade 3 free uses for 1.
So you encourage the 5 min work day.

Now if you want to speak about legendary half plate: there are other magical protections for a wizard without armor proficiencies. I'd also wager that in a typical party the wizard will be the last who gets that +3 armor, because relying on it usually means the wizard did something wrong: being in the mid of melee combat...
No the goliath suggestion has the same one free and you can burn hit dice for more. Everything that was one per rests got some form of additional use mechanism such as hit dice ki points spell slots & so forth.in the case of goliath it was hit dice.

Last edited:

No the goliath suggestion has the same one free and you can burn hit dice for more. Everything that was one per rests got some form of additional use mechanism such as hit dice ki points spell slots & so forth.in the case of goliath it was hit dice.
Wrong. Right now it recharges on long or short rest. Quite difference. You suggest long rest.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Wrong. Right now it recharges on long or short rest. Quite difference. You suggest long rest.
that was a mistake. The only thing approaching a nerf should be stuff like the goblin fury of the small going from once/rest +Level damage to +1/4level on attacks & spell attacks without the rest limit.

that was a mistake. The only thing approaching a nerf should be stuff like the goblin fury of the small going from once/rest +Level damage to +1/4level on attacks & spell attacks without the rest limit.
So maybe you could say: sorry. I can't read your mind.
Still the ability as you present it is way better than the armor proficiency and it encourages a 5 min workday, because you can blow all your healing resources into an average of 10 damage prevented per turn. That is bad mechanic to include.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
So maybe you could say: sorry. I can't read your mind.
Still the ability as you present it is way better than the armor proficiency and it encourages a 5 min workday, because you can blow all your healing resources into an average of 10 damage prevented per turn. That is bad mechanic to include.
I don't agree. Hit dice do not return on a short rest* & it's fairly normal for a character concerned about mitigating damage like that would be getting hit more than once per rest. The only way it encourages the 5mwd is if it did before. What it really does is say that this particular character can expend a hit die after that first free use to nullify 1d12 + con damage(avg6.5+con) when they get hit rather than waiting till a short rest to recover hit die size + con + possibly song of rest or similar. If a character has high con that might nullify worrisome attacks in the early levels when they have few hit dice to splurge, but such a character should feel like their choice mattered when it counts rather than "well I should use it the first time I get hit for ~6+con just so I don't waste if if we take a short rest before a critical moment".

If that ability trivializing content is a concern for a gm, they can counter it with harder hitting creatures like the CR1 half ogre in the 1-4 adventure lmop who hits for 2d10+3 or with more numerous weaker monsters or with monsters who have the multiattack feature to make multiple attacks
You only recover half of them
1606232337221.png

I still have not heard an excuse for argumenting on a different presumtion than what you presented to us. And then you treated me as if I am wasn't able to read. But the mistake was on your side.

I am not sure we are on the same level about the definition of a 5 min workday.

In my opinion, It is the ability to burn all resources in a single fight. Recovering resources on a short rest exactly counteracts this. You need to take short breaks to recover some resources.

So what you propose was recovering on a long rest, and you could spend everything you have on healing resources in a single fight, effectively doubling your health. Recovering a tiny fraction on a short rest afterward does not help your argument. At least you can now say, that you did not nerf the free uses, so it is a straight buff... but it is way imbalanced and terrible for the game overall. I don't know why you think +1 to a stat and armor proficiency for a wizard is that powerful. Very useful for a wizard (that did not dump str to 8), yes. Nice to have +1 stat point on your main stat, also nice to have. Probably 5% chance to have your spells stick on target or make a con saving throw. But deciding between this and reducing damage - as you propose - a number of turns equal to level +1, so I do not actually have to make the concententration save at all - is no decision at all.
Also, stick that on an enemy spell caster with 5 hd and 30 hp and you will see how it goes.

Also now you propose to sepcially counteract a choice of a player, because an ability is unbalanced... Why won't you just not put such an ability in. It is sloppy game design.

Instead of making it 1/short rest + spending hit dice, you could make it proficiency bonus per long rest. Recover 1 use per short rest.
That way, you have some spare uses at the beginning of the day and you can fill it up after some uses. You still have healing resources left for short rests so you have not problems with the 5 min workday.

Remove ads