D&D General "Red Orc" American Indians and "Yellow Orc" Mongolians in D&D

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
The solution is clearly to gaslight the people who were bald-facedly insulted by these depictions until they believe they were touching tributes they should be thinking the authors for.
Gross, I know right?

"You're overreacting."
"There's nothing to be upset about."
"This is fine, you're just too sensitive."
"You've been listening to the wrong people."
"This isn't really a problem."
...and so on.

Hi, could you clarify this phrase: "I tickle on the recurring founding" ? I realize we're not all native English speakers - and I welcome that - I just want to make sure I understand what you're conveying.

Amends certainly won't come if no one calls for it. I'll move on when I wish.
Asking for sharing profits from Gaz10 or similar products even if they are transformed in an educational mission, seem bizarre, tickling, incongruous. But as some say, money has no smell.

Asking for amends can be a long path when you deal with corporations and governments, I wish you meaning and satisfaction all along the road.

Again, this is a distraction. The OP is talking about an issue of today, with potential ways to address it today, within the realm of RPGs.

What 18th and 19the century people thought that established the problem is appropriate to study - but I question whether this thread is the place for that study. Roman conquest really doesn't tell us what WotC ought to do about their legacy product, or what they should do going forward.

I mean, that's what I was trying to address with my statement: the misconceptions of the Romans are a systemic problem with how we view history from the perspective of the conquerors and their own justifications for invasion. The yarn of "They brought civilization!" is indistinguishable from the modern "White Man's Burden". The idea of bringing civilization caused us to rip the children of indigenous people from their families and put them into places where they were forced to learn our traditions and history at the cost of their own culture... and too often their own lives.

As it stands, I didn't bring it into the thread, but felt it inappropriate to let such an assertion go unchallenged. Didn't mean for it to become a full-on tangent, but here we are.

Re read the Orcs of Thar to see the OP points. From a modern point of view, he is 100% right. From an 80s point of view, it is highly debatable that it was solely depictions of or real world ethnicities.

I'm not sure what distinction you're making here. Yes, 1980s TSR was a different context than 2020s Wizards. Yet I honestly don't see what "debate" could be had about whether GAZ10 depicts real world ethnicities...when the book itself says so.

"These names are often found in Yellow Orkian and Hobgobland Tribes. Names with a vaguely Mongol ring will do fine here." -PG, p.41

"Hutai is a middle-aged hobgoblin with Asian features." -DMB, p.12

In GAZ10 are several references to the "red orcs" being similar to the Atruaghin Clans. See the "red orcs" section of my original research post. In GAZ14: The Atruaghin Clans, p.3 states: "Much of the information presented in this book is based on the culture of the various tribes of Indians that lived throughout North and Central America prior to the invasions and exploitations of European colonists."

I focus on the "red orcs" and "yellow orcs" because those terms are based on real-world racial slurs. Yet, to thoroughly respond to your assertion, GAZ10 also states that the humanoids learned "Norse culture" (DMB p.4) and that the Ogremoorians have names which are "vaguely reminiscent of India." (PG p.41)

If TSR explicitly states that those game cultures are inspired by real world ethnicities, how can that be "highly debatable"?

It is clearly stated that the orcs try to emulate their most successful and nobler foes, but failing to succeed in that respect. If the red orcs are trying to emulate the nobler and more successful humans it does mean that the author were respecting the nation the orcs were trying to emulate...

The orcs here are a parody and has always been. But it is clear that they fail to emulate more nobler and successful nations.

Helldritch, I totally understand the line of thinking that you and Glen are offering. Yet, as another poster said: the in-world fictional context is not the primary concern here.

No matter what in-world justification is "clearly stated," that does not give the designer a carte blanche to use real-world racial epithets, and to then entwine those with buffoonish misappropriations and mischaracterizations. To go back to my example of "Nigoro Black Orcs"; how does it sound if we plug that into your hypothesis?:

"It is clearly stated that the Nigoro Black Orcs (who follow Aunt Jemima and Uncle Ben of the chiefly line of Frederick Droolass and Sojourner Doof, and who love chicken, chittlins, and watermelon, and who have the option of taking the Black Minstrel, Mammy, and Gangsta character classes, and who will try to "put a cap in yo be-hind", just like the Red Orcs will try to "scalp" outsiders)...if theses Black Orcs are trying to emulate their most successful and nobler foes—in this case the African-inspired Tanagoro peoples of the Divinarchy of Yavdlom—but the Black Orcs are failing to succeed in that respect...If these Nigoros are trying to emulate the nobler and more successful Tanagoro humans it does not mean that the author was disrespecting the real-world nation the orcs were trying to emulate, in this case, African culture."

This line of argument seems to be strangely unaware that orcs are fictional, and that whatever real-world racial epithets are presented in the book were written by a real-world author. That is the primary context. The in-world fictional context is secondary.

But it can lead to confusion and that is understandable.
Who's confused here?
For me, that book never was such a good one as one paragraph [of disclaimer] does not justify the amount of parodies we can see and that [disclaimer] paragraph can easily be passed over or forgotten. A clear warning is/would've been much better in that case.
I appreciate that we agree on this.

Last edited:

And, folks, let us be clear about something - Roman occupation of these places isn't analogous to the issues highlighted in this thread. Because the Romans left those places, and didn't massively displace the native population. It is entirely reasonable for a modern German or Brit to view ancient Roman occupation differently, because, well, the Germans and people of the British Isles are still the majority populations in their spaces. The Native Americans... aren't.

So, maybe rethink whether this argument has much relevance?
The Celtic Romano-British where displaced - later by the English (Anglo-Saxons). The Anglo-Saxons largely followed the Scandinavian legal code. A more Romanised code was reintroduced by the Normans.

AdmundfortGeographer

Getting lost in fantasy maps
For research discussions purposes, a possible fair look at how Mystara treated American Indian culture as represented by “humanoids” as years advanced to 1994, a peek at the Savage Coast presentation of the Yazi. Even central Asian cultures by the Yazak, FWIW.

The Yazi being the plains and southwestern American Indian representation in the setting expansion. Without too much spoiling DM knowledge PCs wouldn’t know, the Yazi gnolls didn’t adopt any culture but the goblins would have adopted the settled gnolls’ culture. They’re not shown with the mocking that Orcs of Thar does. But they are presented as a raiding threat to the colonizing cultures of humans and demi-humans, with the gnolls now said to be recently peaceful and willing to conduct trade. The humans/demi-humans of Cimarron are shown more humorously than the Yazi, fwiw.

Remove ads