• NOW LIVE! -- The Awfully Cheerful Engine on Kickstarter! An action comedy RPG inspired by cheerful tabletop games of the 80s! With a foreword by Sandy 'Ghostbusters' Petersen, and VTT support!

D&D 4E Reply if you love 4e

Zaphling

First Post
4e is so easy that while you're DMing a game, you can also cook dinner, change the baby's diaper, pick up your wife from her parent's house, play Xbox, and watch a movie! :)

but seriously, I love 4e.

Herschel

Adventurer
This is a great factor. I don't even know what's on the PC's sheets. Oh I know the wizard is built around Magic Missile, and the War Priest's anti-undead power can Push 9, but mostly the players just tell me what happens and I roll with it. Awesome.

PS

I'm with you, huzzah!

Nemesis Destiny

Adventurer
Tomorrow I'll hopefully be running my first session after a (painfully long) 3-week hiatus. I can't wait to get back into it! :)

During these three weeks, I have (for sanity's sake) put barely any thought into what I'll be doing this session, and the best part is - I will still be fully ready to go after only a few minutes of prep. To be fair, I did my plot framework a long time ago, but the details like monsters and treasure and whatnot are now the minor part that I'd prefer them to be.

Game on, folks! :D

Derulbaskul

Explorer
Great thread.

Great game.

As a DM I appreciate the significantly lower prep time... and yet I can still create a stat block and mechanically reflect the race, class, template, theme and/or creature combination that I want. That rocks!

Phebius

First Post
Great thread.

Great game.

As a DM I appreciate the significantly lower prep time... and yet I can still create a stat block and mechanically reflect the race, class, template, theme and/or creature combination that I want. That rocks!

The degree in which this is true really can't be overstated. In last night's game, two players had to cancel at the last minute (like almost literally) and so suddenly instead of 6 PCs going against a death cult I had 4 going against, well who knows? When they wound up going in a completely different direction, it took me less than 5 minutes to create a completely functional and balanced encounter involving non standard monsters. Couldn't have done that without fudging in previous editions.

Klaus

First Post
Several have mentioned the combats, but I'll go ahead and mention the improvisational tools. From the DC/Damage By Level table to the many "Improvising with [Skill]", I can run a D&D game with just one table and no minis if I want to.

Incenjucar

Adventurer
Several have mentioned the combats, but I'll go ahead and mention the improvisational tools. From the DC/Damage By Level table to the many "Improvising with [Skill]", I can run a D&D game with just one table and no minis if I want to.

We've done it before in the group I play in. I didn't personally like it, because I build for precise movements, but it worked well enough.

ProlificVoid

Explorer
I've played since about '80 - and love playing - but it wasn't until 4E that I had any desire to run a campaign myself.
The relative ease of preparation AND running/adjudicating now enables me to focus more on the story and less on the mechanics, so that I get to have fun too!

Still playing 4E three times a week four years in. I love these threads, whenever people try to bring me down with how supposedly unpopular 4E is supposed to be, I look at all the unique names these threads generate.

Keldryn

Adventurer
I had more or less given up on 4E after running about half a dozen sessions, but threads like this are helping me come around to giving it another chance.

I think that I actually very much like 4E. It's the way that the published adventures are written that I don't like. Even the better ones (The Slaying Stone, Reavers of Harkenwold) make it very easy for the game to play out as a series of mostly-unavoidable combat encounters with short breaks for role-playing and exploration. Running an AD&D 1e session through the start of N1 Against the Cult of the Reptile God made me realize this; had we been playing with 4E rules, the session would have played out very much the same, except the one significant combat encounter would have been a lot more fun and two players would have had a lot more to do during the battle.

I love how 4E makes it that it's not a huge stretch to find ways for every player to be involved in the game at virtually all times. In our 4E games, there was never a situation where any players felt that they couldn't contribute something worthwhile.

I love that the 4E DM's Screen doesn't give me a headache just looking at it, unlike the AD&D 1e and 3.x/PF screens. I look at those and my eyes just glaze over.

I love that we spent very little time looking up a rule when playing 4E; the base rules are mostly easy enough to remember, and everything else is right there in a power or monster description.

I love how 4E makes it fairy easy to reliably judge how difficult a combat encounter will be, and how there are clear guidelines for scaling the encounter up or down.

I love how players in 4E are much less likely to end up sitting out half the night because of a couple of unlucky die rolls.

I'm still frustrated by many of the overly fiddly bits (until the start/end of next turn condition/effect/trivial bonus tracking and the ubiquity of temporary hit points in particular), but think that I might have given up on it before the new rules became second nature to me. There is a lot to love in 4E.

Rechan

Adventurer
It's the way that the published adventures are written that I don't like. Even the better ones (The Slaying Stone, Reavers of Harkenwold) make it very easy for the game to play out as a series of mostly-unavoidable combat encounters with short breaks for role-playing and exploration.
I'm not sure how that differs from earlier editions, but. If you really feel that way, what you might try is running 1e/2e modules with 4e rules.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Regardless of whatever issues I have with it, I think a lot of 4E is sheer genius, and very much enjoy them.

I also certainly hope that 4E support continues on DDI when/if 5E is released. I sincerely hope that the mistakes of the 3E to 4E transition are not repeated.

Long Live 4E.

An Advertisement

Advertisement4