D&D 5E Revel's End... magi-tech that jumps the shark!

Clint_L

Hero
I see 5e has allowed the caster to make MM permanent, but even then it's a very Pavlovian spell: it gives a fixed response to a specific pre-determined trigger.

That's a long way from an interactive illusion/hologram. When I hear "interactive illusion" I think more of something like Tony Stark's JARVIS computer.
Yeah, I kind of like that about it. To me, it makes sense that a world with magic would find more practical ways to use it. But I get that this is starting to step on sci-fi's toes, and am not sure how far I would be comfortable with it going, either. For some reason, even though I love reading sci-fi, I have never really loved sci-fi RPGs, so this is about as far as I personally want to take it - things that add a fun gameplay element but that I can still reconcile with a generally more traditional fantasy vibe.

occam

Adventurer
I was excited for Golden Vault's promise of 13 heist scenarios, but after perusing the 'Prisoner 13' scenario on D&D Beyond, I fear not only for the quality of this product, but for the fate of D&D's interpretation of fantasy gaming as I know and love it. Granted, I'm getting long in the tooth, but this is getting ridiculous.
Based on responses in this thread, we may be in the minority, but I had a similar reaction. However, you didn't bring up what I found to be the most in-your-face non-fantasy/sci-fi element: take a look at the font and other graphics choices made in the Players' Map handout.

Anyway, this is just another step in D&D moving from fantasy to heroic fantasy to fantasy superheroes to now science fiction without lasers. Ugh.
I think it's too late about the lasers <cough>eldritch blast</cough>.

Reaper Steve

Explorer
I found to be the most in-your-face non-fantasy/sci-fi element: take a look at the font and other graphics choices made in the Players' Map handout.

Oh, yeah... I took that to be exactly how the illusory map appears to the characters. In fact, if they would have put more thought into "how would an illusory and interactive map appear in a fantasy world?" and created a better graphic, I probably would have had much less issue with it. But that one is ripped straight from Star Wars/Star Trek/Mass Effect/...

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Based on responses in this thread, we may be in the minority, but I had a similar reaction. However, you didn't bring up what I found to be the most in-your-face non-fantasy/sci-fi element: take a look at the font and other graphics choices made in the Players' Map handout.
Funny thing is, that map would fit in really nicely in my setting as an abandoned place: very (!) ancient Hobgoblin society was highly technical and (as they had six fingers per hand) both operated in base-six and designed many of their structures etc. as hexagonal in shape.

I might just have to swipe that. :)

An "interactive" illusion where there's an Illusionist maintaining it and having it react or behave as other people ask it to - fine.

An interactive illusion that runs itself? That's a bit OTT for me, and I say this as someone who's already introduced various non-medieval elements inti his game: a zeppelin, spaceships, robots (that don't always function quite as designed!), sci-fi air defenses, and so forth.
The map magic is explicitly temporary.

If the appearance of Revel's End in Keys makes it a HAT tie in, does that mean the movie is technically a Rime tie-in?

More seriously: does anyone know if there are plans for a tie in for Neverwinter? I believe than MMORPG is still receiving updates.
Revel’s End was created for the movie. And featured in Rime for the fun of it.

Spoiler alert!!! I'm on my phone and I can't figure out how to do a spoiler tag.

I was put off by the "electric" hotplates and dynamite (complete with plunger detonators) in one anthology of adventures; however, the rocket ship was so over the top I loved it.

Only true nerds can stick to medieval fantasy. The rest of us just don't know any of that dirty word.

It's just a matter of taste; and to be honest, my tastes are not set in stone. I prefer low fantasy, but I can play different styles and still have fun. But, unfortunately we just don't see much of that in Dungeons and Dragons. It just doesn't sell. That's what the Open Gaming License is for.

My rhetorical question is: Why is the game styled around castles, old ships, knights in shining armor, and sword fighting? The answer might be: Because it still sells product. But for how much longer?

PS: I also get turned off by tech that is magical when there's no reason (other than it's cool) for it. Like the compass from Wild Beyond the Witchlightthat that is a magic item, but it just does what a non magical compass does. Or the telescope magic item from a certain Pathfinder adventure that just does what a telescope does.

Remove ads