• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Selling items : illogical rule ?

Celebrim

Legend
Mort_Q said:
Players are supposed to go on adventures, not set up shops and test the verisimilitude of the campaign world's market economy.

I just hate this sort of stance. What's really annoying about it is that before 4e came out, Mearls in an interview said that one of the worst things a game system can do is try to tell you how to play rather than providing you the tools to play the game you want to play. Now he's attached his name to a game that mechanically railroads how you play the game is completely uninterested in providing tools to play the game you want to play.

Particle_Man

Explorer
I complained about it too, at first.

But I see it differently now. It is not a market thing, it is a "law of magical physics" think.

Magic is apparently an inefficient engine. You make a magic item and then immediately unmake it and get only 20% of the residuum you put into it. That is just a fact of the world.

The merchants are at least aware of this fact. Most of them will never be adventurers and may never even meet other adventurers than the pc party that require that specific magic item. But merchants have (or know people that have) rituals that can unmake a magic item (thus "stripping it for parts") and remake another magic item on demand. Thus from the merchant point of view, they don't want your frost sword - maybe the next adventurer they meet wants to buy a lightning ax, so they strip the frost sword for parts, get enough parts, and make a lightning ax on demand.

So I have made peace with this rule.

Celebrim

Legend
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
What?!? That's half the fun in our campaigns. We drive the DMs crazy by asking what everything is worth and trying to figure out how to transport 800lb. statues back to town. :)

Agreed. And sometimes its particularly interesting when the only treasure is that 800lb statue and suddenly half the adventure is overcoming the challenges is going back through that fever infested sucking bog with an 800lb statue.

And people wonder what the 'Use Rope' skill is for... ;)

Thasmodious

First Post
Celebrim said:
I just hate this sort of stance. What's really annoying about it is that before 4e came out, Mearls in an interview said that one of the worst things a game system can do is try to tell you how to play rather than providing you the tools to play the game you want to play. Now he's attached his name to a game that mechanically railroads how you play the game is completely uninterested in providing tools to play the game you want to play.

I finally put my finger on it. We must have two completely different sets of 4e books! My 4e books provide me with all the tools I need to play and DM the game and then get out of my and let me play/DM it. You might want to write Wizards and see if they will exchange your faulty books for the correct ones.

lukelightning

First Post
Exquisite Dead Guy said:
What?!? That's half the fun in our campaigns. We drive the DMs crazy by asking what everything is worth and trying to figure out how to transport 800lb. statues back to town. :)

That's easy to do. When you are allocating treasure to monsters, include their ratty hide armor, battle axes, and Gorbash Brand Tusk Polish as the loot.

lukelightning

First Post
Danceofmasks said:
Remember that art items sell for full price.

With that in mind, make whole is potentially an awesome cash cow.

*rolls a bluff check*

This isn't a +3 flaming sword, it's a sculpture of a +3 flaming sword. ;)

Oompa

First Post
lukelightning said:
*rolls a bluff check*

This isn't a +3 flaming sword, it's a sculpture of a +3 flaming sword. ;)

Lol..

I like the rule.. it makes an item more valuable till they get an better item they want for that slot.. and.. it doesnt make the pc's have ton loads of gold coins on them.. and.. if players want something, they need money, they get money.. by adventuring.. the ultimate goal of the pc :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads