Should D&D have more spells like Chromatic Orb ?

No it doesnt. It doesnt consume the orb. You just need to purchase it once and then have the object on you. If the component is consuned it says so in the spell (such as identify)

Simonb1

Explorer
CubicsRube, no you are right and wrong at the same time.

You are right about Chromatic Orb does not consume the diamond, but neither does Identify consumde its Pearl, a better example would be Revivify or Raise Dead.

Old One Eye

First Post
I like that a fire themed spellcaster will have significantly different spells from a lightning themed, cold themed, etc.

I think effects-based games where the flavor is layered on top of a generic base for spells/powers kind of cheapens what it means to have a theme to a PC. Even worse with spells/powers like the Orb where the decision is made at time of casting.

Chromatic Orb is fine as one option but would not want a plethora of similar spells.

5ekyu

Hero
If i were going to address this in my games, i would introduce items that allowed re-typing evocations (and conjurstions?) to do a particular set type of damage.

So, a "fire mage" might need to gather a few of these to be full fire... Etc

Off hand, some lesser ones might be expendable or uses per day. But mostly all would be limited by max tier with more powerful ones being more and more keyed to very dangerous critter types and attuned.

Imo just making it some routine class feature or house swap serms to be a major blanding of existing differences.

At least make it a feat.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I would give the player a way to re-power an existing spell, but I would make him take the modified spell as one that he gets "for free" at his next level-up.
I would also have the NPCs in my world refer to the variant spell by invoking his name, as he uses it and word gets around. (See also Bigby, Mordenkainen, Snilloc, Aganazzar, &c.)
I would also tell him beforehand that he cannot have the 'base spell' and his variant at the same time - not even by copying it from somebody else's spellbook or transcribing a scroll.

Other potential costs:
- spend a feat; this represents special knowledge he has to research / experiment in person
- $GP cost to cast spell
- if an expensive material component is involved, the variant ALWAYS consumes it
- 'backlash' (because you are making magic do something it isn't meant to): damage
- 'backlash': no spell can be cast next round
- the focus / material component for the variant is more expensive than the base spell
- get some condition (such as Poisoned) when you cast the variant spell, Saving Throw at end of your next turn (and following turns as needed) to remove the condition

I like that a fire themed spellcaster will have significantly different spells from a lightning themed, cold themed, etc.

I think effects-based games where the flavor is layered on top of a generic base for spells/powers kind of cheapens what it means to have a theme to a PC. Even worse with spells/powers like the Orb where the decision is made at time of casting.

Chromatic Orb is fine as one option but would not want a plethora of similar spells.

That's a fine alternative as well, but 5e is really lacking in a balanced range of elemental spells. Compared with shadow of the demon lord, where there are entire schools devoted to air, water, etc as well as having advanced classes as aeromancers, hydromancers and the like.

I would love to see an elementalist class where the subclass revolves around one of the elements, but i know this wont happen.

i just want my frostball... :D

aco175

Legend
Be careful giving away reflavoring spells. Damage is based on types of damage and ease of countering or having monsters that are less affected by it. Fire is the most common type of spell damage, but there are many monsters that have resistance to it and it is also the first type other people would take to be resistant to. Look at the cantrips and how they do different amounts of damage and add other minor powers like slow, or burst or something else. You would be giving casters a big boost in power if you allow them to reskin spells like fireball to acidball or even the cantrip fire bolt.

I may be more open to creating spells that so something from scratch or even allowing some of the inexperienced player to reskin if they took downtime and did research spending gold.

Remove ads